Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase

by zen death robot
So like if you take a piece of silly putty and stretch it out, like pulling it up and down, the bit in the middle that isn't changed is sort of like an eigenvector or something.

Please help me understand eigenvalues and eigenvectors and stuff.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

They Might Be

It's all pretty much gibberish to me, but this gif made the most sense of all of them.

Looks like the fancy math photoshop does when you transform an image to make it fit a new perspective / plane.

Three-Phase

by zen death robot
Is your girlfriend a mathemagician

----------------

They Might Be

No she's a ring theorist. The booty is a maximal ideal.

joke_explainer

we should make this the linear algebra megathread this forum didn't know it needed

Three-Phase

by zen death robot

joke_explainer posted:

we should make this the linear algebra megathread this forum didn't know it needed

You can do cool things with linear algebra like:

1. Making pictures bigger or smaller
2. Rotating and skewing pictures
3. 3D game stuff

Uh anything else?

----------------

They Might Be

You can also use it to get college credits!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

math is for nerds!

Macnult

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

math is for nerds!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i am taking a class in this stuff and after my professor tells me ill come post all the answers at you

joke_explainer

I dug up my linear algebra textbook from downstairs and dusted it off and turns out I don't remember any of this poo poo sorry, gently caress

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
wow you got a book? all i got was some pieces of paper wrapped in cellophane, good thing i had my trusty 3 ring binder handy!

e: the kitties help me keep focused in my studies :3:

Senior Management

Friends! Release the algebra from the shackles on linearity! It has done nothing to earn a cage. Together we can think outside the bun! Broaden your mind and let the impossible in.

:jerry:

alnilam

if you know a lot of calc you probably don't even realize that a lot of linalg is built in to multivariate calc, i think??

Senior Management

I passed calculus and never looked back. No idea what happened to it. Some say that it is still on that same road driving incredibly slowly to this day.

:jerry:

Robot Made of Meat

I never once understood the math behind calculus. I get the concept, but I only passed by having a friend feed me answers.

If I could have done it by dropping pebbles in a jar, I'd have been just fine.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase

by zen death robot
For some of the more sophisticated electrical stuff like figuring out how much current flows in a fault (like a power line breaking and contacting another power line) there is a bunch of trig, calculus, and linear algebra involved. :psyduck:

----------------

• Locked thread