Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Venomous posted:

HM: Minoru Suzuki vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW Road to Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 04/27

On the one hand, that chair shot :ohdear: On the other hand, Minoru Suzuki finally won a singles title at the ripe old age of 48 going on 49, and he looked amazing doing it. Goto was okay too.

Second . The match was real good and the good kind of snug except for the dumb chairshot.

HM: Kushida vs Zach Sabre Jr : April 13th RevPro

Neat mat based Jr match that had all sorts of good counters. Would like to see Kushida move up to heavy and wrestle like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

and HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ricochet, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

Kinda of the weakest crowd this year for the quality of NJPW matches though Naito/Juice actually got them into the finish at the end

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

WMOTYC - Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton, WWE Backlash, 4/30

Second

You should never air long pre-taped matches at a Pay-per view. This would of been fine for a Raw/Smackdown especially given the angle at the end

Jinder is gonna be the worst challenger ever

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's kinda of amazing that Okada could take the rest of the year off and still win wrestler of the year based on the first 4 months

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 5/3
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale, NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 5/3

Agreed

It's also amazing how different Okada's MOTYC/HM matches are. The match with Fale was more a classic Babyface vs Monster match and Okada sold like mad for it. He's hands down the best wrestler going right now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC - Will Ospreay vs. Jay White, ROH War of the Worlds, 5/12

Agreed

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM for Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll and Hiromu vs dragon lee from Best of Super Juniors 05/17

Both great matches that didn't quite MOTYC for me but topped off a fun watchable show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Ricochet
HM: Taka vs Taichi, Hiromu vs Liger - All Best of Super Juniors Night 2

Orton/Jinder will be lucky to be half as good as Taka vs Taichi

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate, 5/20 NXT Takeover: Chicago

Insanely good match, with an incredibly hot crowd to boot.

Agreed great match and best WWE match in months

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

yep. if it turns out to be Itami's last hurrah in NXT, it's a hell of a way to go out, and it was certainly Roode's best match in NXT

NTh as well - I wasn't sold on HM till the finish but that finish was hot and protected the finished for both which is rare in a WWE match.

I actually thought Roode was going to retain on a countout there

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Authors of Pain vs DIY for the NXT Tag Titles at NXT Chicago

Some will probably argue it was a MOTYC, I think it didn't QUITE make it there but it sure got close.

Agreed on HM. Had too many risky spots and stalling to be higher but still really good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I make a MOTYC nomination I feel like it goes without saying that it's a nomination for what is the best NON Omega/Okada Wrestle Kingdom match of the year :)

It's kinda of amazing how many great matches that would be legit matches of the year any other year just don't stand a chance cause Okada/Omega was so great. And it's not just a few matches we've had some great wrestling all through the year all over the world so it's been consistently good. The only years I think that would come close is the early 90's with the rise of Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada, Liger and the Juniors et all

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I didn't think WWE would be able to top Taichi/Taka but they matched it with the Uso's vs Breezango so 4th

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

To try to get into the Chinese market we will observe Chinese New Year for our awards calendar.

To stop Okada from winning the award we shall now nominate only non Okada matches

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Price Check posted:

HM - Kushida vs Taguchi - BOSJ 5/29

Thought this match was excellent. Two guys who know each other well working their asses off. Maybe my favorite match of the tournament thus far.

Second this, fun match and Kushida has all sorts of neat submission moves. Also Taguchi has had a hell of a tournament

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MOTYC - BOSJ Final - Kushida vs Will Ospreay

Yeah the finish got me to MOTYC - Best match both had in a great tournament

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Armitage posted:

WMOTYC - Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss - Kendo Stick on a Pole match.

What a squash, holy poo poo. The build to this match led to that? Wow, both of them deserve much better than that.

4th that was just some real bad booking.

This show may be worse than Backlash

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Agreed just for that tag break spot from the Bucks

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

second

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM : Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito

Good match made better by the awesome heat

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Kenny Omega for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Dominion 6/11

Even if it wasn't the ending I wanted, what an incredible loving match and it did NOT feel like the match was as long as it was. I mean that in a good way. The best way.

God drat third

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So we're not even half way done the year and this has to be up there with one of the best years for overall match quality right? Just so much amazing wrestling taking place all over the world

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Juice Robinson vs ZSj, Ishii vs Naito: New Japan G1 Special

Both were real fun matches in different ways. Plus we get ZSJ vs Ishii tomorrow which should be great

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'll go MOTYC for Omega/Big Mike - Big Mike has been the forgotten guy in so many great matches in New Japan this year isn't he?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Third that HM. Nest finishing sequence and some great exchanges

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Third on the HM. What a match

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

HM: The Young Bucks vs RPG Vice

Yeah that was good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Third that match. Ishii and Omega had a hell of a tourney

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

oatgan posted:

moty: volador jr vs ultimo guerrero

Agree that third fall pushed it up there for me

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs Tetsua Naito

Finishing sequence sold me on Goto/Ishii being HM and god drat that was a great main event

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Takuan posted:

HM: SANADA vs EVIL
HM: Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki

Agreed

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM Zach Sabre Jr. vs. Kota Ibushi
HM Tetsuya Naito vs. YOSHI-HASHI
HM Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto
HM Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Been a real good G1 So far and we get Elgin/Okada and Tama/Kenny on Night 4 as well!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Frankston posted:

MOTYC: Okada vs Elgin

Nth -

HM : Evil vs Juice Robinson
Hm: Tama Tonga vs Kenny Omega

What a fantastic G1 so far

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata

I love dick Tanahashi and Yuji was a great face here

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Ishii vs Ibushi

Even a lesser G1 night has been great. One of the better starts to a tournament in a while

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Toru Yano vs Kenny Omega
HM: Sanada vs Okada

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Big Mike
HM: Kojima vs Okada

What a G1

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This year has seen so much good wrestling across the world that matches that would normally be top 5 of the year might not even make a best match list.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Juice vs Okada, Elgin vs Sanada

When Juice countered the Rainmaker with a Punch I almost believed he could pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Takuan posted:

G1 Climax Night 11:
HM: Yuji Nagata vs Tomohiro Ishii
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi

nth

• Locked thread