Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So I meant to post this after I saw it last year, but I thought 'ach, it's a wee Glaswegian wrestling school, it's not on YouTube', but then I found that it was on YouTube long after the match had passed, so, welp.

Okay. So. The Purge is a tag team consisting of Stevie James and Krobar. They used to have another dude named Joseph Vane in the team, but I guess he left the company or something, because I can't find anything about him anywhere. I'm not entirely sure of their gimmick, but Stevie James is basically Not Adam Cole and Krobar is this awesome hoss. Their opponents are the New Age Kliq, BT Gunn and Chris Renfrew, and they've been the Pro Wrestling Elite Tag Team Champions since July. Now, as I mentioned, the GPWA is a wee Glaswegian wrestling school, so they don't have any belts, but since the Purge was really shaping up I guess the NAK decided to give them a title shot. Here's the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9s9DVP7Ro

This match goes back and forth so loving much, it's incredible. The NAK were over by default because they're in Glasgow, but they worked heel and the Purge really came off strong here as babyface underdogs. I was behind them the whole way, and they had a rematch at the next GPWA show which was even better. (Not on YouTube though, unfortunately.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Going to repost this from the last thread.

MOTYC: KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11, 1/4
MOTYC: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11, 1/4
MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11, 1/4
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11, 1/4

This is an incredible string of matches, and it topped off one of the greatest wrestling shows of all time. Granted, Okada/Omega outshines the first three, but those matches are all equally amazing and they'll probably be a fuckton better than a lot of matches over the next year.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Every match except the Womens Championship match, NXT Takeover: San Antonio, 01/28

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

That was brilliant. Thought it'd just be a squash after that desperate opening, but holy heck Juice held his own and then some. He needs a NEVER title reign at some point.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

Oh my God. Oh my God. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Just as Cena/Styles < Okada/Omega, Cena/Styles < Okada/Suzuki because Kazuchika Okada is the best wrestler in the world

would probably place it above Kushida/Takahashi and about level with Shibata/Goto as well

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Since it's on World and I just watched it, (http://njpwworld.com/p/s_archive_37_01_07)

MOTYC: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Matt Riddle, RevPro High Stakes 2017, 01/21

Riddle and Shibata have so much chemistry together and the crowd is absolutely electric here. Was glued to my seat the whole time. Such a wonderful match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka, 02/11

That was fun. Ospreay's really coming on in his career. Wish he'd slow down a wee bit more though.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship.

Lots of crazy moves and a fast pace make this a really fun and easy match to watch, and the crowd was really into it which always helps.

Seconded. Wasn't as good as the Kushida match, but still a great match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

These two have fantastic chemistry together and the match built to a fantastic climax. Once again both guys come out of the match looking like a million bucks regardless of who won and who lost.

Nthing this. Wasn't as good as Okada/Suzuki from Sapporo, but that was a hell of a match and easily the best match in their trilogy.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher, WWE Fastlane, 3/5

poo poo PPV, but that match was great and the right person won.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6

Sabre is so impressive, Shibata is a drat good technical wrestler when he needs to be, and HOLY gently caress THAT ENDING.

e: Jumped the gun a bit here. In hindsight that wasn't even Shibata's best match of the year, even though it was great. Anyway:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6

Wonderful show overall. Massive contrast to Fastlane last night. Literally night and day.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 6, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

Oh my God. Oh my God. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

Also MOTYC
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada from New Beginning in Sapporo

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm finally watching this with the Japanese commentary and I like it more than Okada/Omega by a pretty wide margin.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

MOTYC
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada from New Beginning in Sapporo

idk if you'd count flashy_mcflash's post as thirding my nomination but yeah, I counted four there

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e2: gently caress it.

WMOTYC: Goldberg vs. Kevin Owens, WWE Fastlane, 03/05

A bit of pussyfooting from KO before the match begins, which is all well and good, but the bell rings and Jericho appears on the ramp, KO is distracted, spear, jackhammer, Goldberg wins in 20-odd seconds. BTW this was for the WWE Universal Championship, Raw's top title. Garbage.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 6, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Alain Post posted:

HM: Braun Strowman v. Roman Reigns, WWE Fastlane 3/5

Frankly I would go MOTYC because no match where BRAUN attempts a Superfly Splash should go below a MOTYC but I think HM is more likely.

gently caress it, thirded

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

WMOTYC: Yuji Nagata vs. Tanga Roa, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/11

Roa is just not good at singles matches, and it didn't help that Nagata is kinda past his prime. Also, it dragged on for those 11 minutes. Kinda like Cesaro/Jinder from Fastlane. Really bad match.

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Evil, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/11

Made both of them look strong, didn't bury LIJ at all. Lovely middle with the chairs, and a pretty good gently caress finish too.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Minoru Suzuki, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/12
MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/12
HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Sanada, New Japan Cup 2nd Round, 03/17

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

MOTYC: The Revival vs. DIY vs. Authors of Pain, NXT Takeover: Orlando

Holy Forking Shirt you guys.

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas, NXT Takeover, 4/1

nthing both of these. Absolutely amazing.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Proof that AJ Styles can carry anyone to a great match

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania 33, 4/2

good + brutal

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

WMOTYC: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton, Wrestlemania 33, 4/2

dead crowd, slow match where gently caress-all happened, terrible finish. Hope Bray regains it at Backlash, but he probably won't.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Goldberg (C) vs Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship at Wrestlemania 33

EXACTLY what it needed to be.

sure, seconded

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale, NJPW Sakura Genesis, 4/9

gdi I know that was a filler tag but it had absolutely everything.

-Toru Yano being funny as heck
-Kenny showing that he's a great comedy wrestler as well as a great serious wrestler
-Fale doing his threatening enforcer thing really well
-Ishii being Ishii

idk I just really liked that match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Sakura Genesis

For a moment, one beautiful moment, I believed.

seconded

e: vvv Eh, I disagree. Okada/Suzuki felt like it had a lot more weight to it tbh. Still a great match tho.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 9, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Naito?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

naito's up there, for sure. nothing bad to say about him.

Fair. For the record I'm in full agreement with you that Kazuchika Okada is the greatest wrestler in the world right now and his current run of amazing singles matches is proof that he's that good, but I'll be damned if Naito isn't up there with him.

e: with that said, I still maintain that Okada/Suzuki > Okada/Shibata, just because I really enjoyed the story they told with Suzuki's technical work and Okada's fighting spirit, but they're both incredible matches.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 10, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I guess Naito is the Kawada and Tanahashi is, I dunno, the Tenryu? The Tsuruta?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imean if you'regonna compare omega to someone, who was the hot gaijin wrestler of that period?

...Wild Pegasus? poo poo, I hope Kenny doesn't end up the same way.

Anyway, if that's the case, Naito is clearly the Kobashi.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

Okada, Shibata, and SANADA could easily have a 5-star triple threat smolder-off

Make it a 4-way with EVIL. I mean look at him, he's gorgeous. https://twitter.com/NJPWgifs/status/847800232939270144

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Minoru Suzuki vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW Road to Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 04/27

On the one hand, that chair shot :ohdear: On the other hand, Minoru Suzuki finally won a singles title at the ripe old age of 48 going on 49, and he looked amazing doing it. Goto was okay too.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ricochet, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

Honestly thought this was better than Kushida/Hiromu at WK11. gdi they pulled out all the stops for this match. Ricochet was at the top of his game here, and Hiromu looked strong as heck defending his title. Can't wait for BOSJ now.

(also, had no idea there was an NJPW show this morning, so it was nice to wake up to this match.)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

MOTYC Braun vs Roman - Payback 2017

MOTYC Orton vs Wyatt HOUSE OF HORRORS - Payback 2017

nthing both of these

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 5/3
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale, NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 5/3

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors, 05/17

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

I thought it could have used another 5-10 mins, so I'd like to give an HM to Marty Scurll v Will Ospreay, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 2017

See, I would've been inclined to agree with you, as their match in Edinburgh last month was a lot better from a technical standpoint, but as Marty's debut match in NJPW, possibly his first match in front of a Japanese crowd in general, that match got him and his character over so drat well. Like, in this match he repeatedly took the piss out of Ospreay and his mannerisms, and the way they set up the chickenwing and the finger snap as significant spots was absolutely perfect. I dunno, I just really liked it as a character piece.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate, 5/20 NXT Takeover: Chicago

Insanely good match, with an incredibly hot crowd to boot.

nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: AoP vs. #DIY, NXT Takeover: Chicago, 5/20

Whole match was great, but holy poo poo the coda was loving incredible.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: The Usos vs. Breezango, WWE Backlash, 05/22

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin, WWE Backlash, 5/21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Roppongi Vice vs. The Young Bucks, NJPW Dominion 6.11 in Osaka-Jo Hall, 6/11

• Locked thread