Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Volador Jr. vs Yoshitatsu CMLL Arena Mexico 3/3/17

One of the best wrestlers had a match that bad. Can't imagine how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Bobby Fish vs Jay Lethal, ROH 15th Anniversary

One of the best submission near falls I've seen in awhile. Must see match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

MOTYC: L.A. Park vs. Rush, Baracal Entertainment, 3/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohQCntAx7c

These dudes were born to beat the poo poo out of each other

Agreed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC

CENTELLA ROJA E HIJO DE CENTELLA ROJA
vs
EL PERVERSO Y SOMBRA DIABOLIKA

3/27 CMLL Arena Puebla

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC

Reyes Del Aire, CMLL 4/7/17

Was the no doubt MOTY until the last minute. Sad!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

2nd!!! It was really cool

Why did you not like the last minute? I really dont follow CMLL that carefully outside of the Anniversario show and their occasional appearances in NJPW / ROH stuff. I was sort of rooting for Volador because he was the only dude I really know well, does the guy who won suck?

Angel Del Oro was like the 10th coolest guy in that match but mainly the end of the match felt really awkward. Not necessarily anti-climatic since I could feel the finish coming, but a few things felt clumsy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
4th Okada/Shibata for MOTY and anyone who doesn't think Okada is the best is silly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I honestly can't even believe there are people out there who don't think Okada is exceptional.

Plus, you know, he's not even 30 yet! :stare:

Wait til you go on twitter and find the people who think he's bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

thefncrow posted:

I see other people have their own ideas but I'm going to put down Dr. Death.

Dr. Death ain't sexy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM

CARÍSTICO, MÍSTICO® Y DRAGON LEE
vs
NEGRO CASAS, ÚLTIMO GUERRERO Y LA MÁSCARA

CMLL Arena Puebla 4/17

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: La Mascara vs Volador Jr 4/28/17 CMLL Good match and very touching post match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'll go with HM for Takahashi vs Ricochet, maybe it was the crowd but something about that mach didn't reach the MOTY level.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs
MIJE Y EL PERICO ZAKARÍAS

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: The Clusterfuck (Joey Janela's Spring Break) How was this so boring? Glacier is in there for 4 minutes and the rest is awful. Easily the most disappointing match of the year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Dead or Alive Mask vs. Hair 5 Way Steel Cage Match: YAMATO vs. Naruki Doi vs. BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi vs. Cyber Kong 

This was amazing. Why don't more promotions do this match?

It's a cage match where the loser loses his mask or hair right? They happen pretty frequently in lucha promotions when they can't be assed to build to a real main event for a major show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC - Will Ospreay vs. Jay White, ROH War of the Worlds, 5/12

Second

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Young Bucks vs Naito and Bushi. Match was great and there was a nearfall so believable that Hulkamatt thought Bushi had just become ROH Tag Team Champion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

wmotyc Ospreay vs scurll

match built around corny unfunny banter, goofy rear end mugging and contrived sequences. idk how anyone could for a moment forget this was fake. sub-pantomime level poo poo. I've liked some of their previous matches too.

motyc Hiromu vs dragon lee

the closest of their series to a normal match. I'm glad they reined it in a little bc the last one finally ventured a little too far into indyriffic territory with the bloat, endless near falls and overdone exhaustion selling. loved all the unique little spots playing off their history. as always with these two, not everything came off perfectly but its so spirited that you can forgive it. Lee seems to be turning into a more well-rounded worker while still being an exhilarating spot machine.

Martin sure is lucky he was in front of such unsophisticated loser fans who popped for that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

it got way over in the building yeah. i said as much on twitter at the time + agreed with Dave that Marty has his act down pat and is pretty much ready made to be a star in WWE (or anywhere). that i think his act is often completely insufferable is kind of irrelevant in that regard. in the context of what i thought of a match, though, idk why you'd take that line of argument. i thought you were above the weird goon passive aggressive misrepresenting deflection thing.

I don't like Marty Scurll that much, and don't dig his matches but when a guy walks into a building and his match gets that over it's really, really hard to call it the Worst Match of the Year, or close to it. I really wanted Hogan vs Rock to be the Worst Match of the Year, and on a technical level it was really bad, but they did exactly what the people wanted to see. But when you are saying you don't know how anyone could forget this is fake about a match that got over in the building, it comes across super elitist and super misses the point. You do the match that gets over for the people who are in the building. I'd love wrestling to be done directly for me personally, but it's not. It's one thing when it's established stars like Rock and Hogan, or Hogan and a lot of people in WCW. They have a built in advantage and a crowd can react to the worst poo poo in the world due to nostalgia. But when you are debuting in a company and they eat your poo poo up? It seems really out of touch to say it's among the worst stuff of the year.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean there were like a few dozen ECW matches which mainly consisted of awful slow buildups to blown garbage spots repeatedly that everyone went nuts for in the building so the "everyone popped for it!" argument isnt a very good one

Plenty of ECW matches that looked awful in retrospect were given passes at the time and stuff that was average was praised. I've always felt RVD vs Lynn was spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest for 20 minutes. It bores me, but I wouldn't call it the worst match of the year it was in. And that match had junior matches with crazier, better paced stuff going on all around the world at the time, so you could compare it in context. But the crowd and overall fanbase loved it, so to call it poo poo is just stupid. It's something that didn't connect with me.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 18, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I badly want to not like Marty but my main memory from the WOTW will be the finger break and chicken wing getting a much bigger pop than a Cop Killah.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I dunno I'm just talking about my personal response to a match. whether it worked into the building doesn't really factor into whether i think it was good or bad (except for whatever aesthetic value the crowd's response provides). this isn't something I feel any need to be fair or objective about. after all, its art, as Will and Ricochet are so keen to remind us.

When you say you don't see how anyone could forget it's fake I find it hard to believe you aren't talking about other people too. I'd really love my first reaction to Marty Scurll to be correct and say he sucks, but when a guy makes a debut and does poo poo that gets over can you really hate the match for it? It's not even about the aesthetic of the crowd it's a guy working to get over and make himself a star. If you don't like it that's fine but to say "this is one of the worst things I've seen this year" seems silly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

this is why everyone should vote for Darby Allin vs. Ethan Page for WMOTYC because it was technically miserable, horrible to watch, and it didn't get over in the building

I've still gotta go with one of the two Yoshitatsu Arena Mexico matches. He was so bad he made Volador Jr just completely give up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

we could start making the year begin on January 5th so there's the possibility the matches we're watching could be the best

yes

To try to get into the Chinese market we will observe Chinese New Year for our awards calendar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Ultimo Guerrero vs LA Park, 5/7 Lucha Memes

Very close to a MOTYC, match is just awesome. Both guys work so hard and do poo poo that guys their age and weight should not be able to do. Finish is fantastic too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHvk5Ycne94

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Rush vs Mr. Niebla 5/29 CMLL Arena Puebla

Rush cannot have a bad match with an old fat guy and cannot resist kicking them as hard as he can. Second fall must be seen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Rush vs Mr. Niebla 5/29 CMLL Arena Puebla

Rush cannot have a bad match with an old fat guy and cannot resist kicking them as hard as he can. Second fall must be seen.

I know lucha is scary but watch this and try not to hunt down the rest of the match:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B49_FLBKWtvybzJ0LVpVNnRVdWM

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC: Matt Tremont vs Nick "loving" Gage GCW Presents Zandig Tournament of Survival 2

If you like death matches you absolutely need to see this match. It's stunning in its stupidity and brilliance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

From what I heard Zandig tried to murder an alt-right neo nazi??

He did the meathooks spot on the Nazi but the crew knew the Nazi had to cost Zandig the match so they let him down and the Nazi used the weedwacker on Zandig.

But the Nazi stayed up there basically the whole match so that was cool. I am down with Nazis being paid $50 to be hit in the head with light tubes and be hung from meathooks for 10 minutes. Hopefully next time there's lots of chairs to the head.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

Honorable Mention - Zack Sabre Jr. vs Negro Navarro, Chairo 10 - MDA 2 (4/28/17, Arena Naucalpan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDXmDP4aHpM

Negro Navarro is 59 years old. The match is entirely old style lucha mat work but ZSJ has the modern version of that skillset. The selling and facial expressions are tremendous, the pace is good, the crowd is into it. Might not be for everyone, but I loved it.

Seconded, one of the few matches where the complicated pinning sequences make sense. Negro Navarro has a ton of great little touches in this match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

So we're not even half way done the year and this has to be up there with one of the best years for overall match quality right? Just so much amazing wrestling taking place all over the world

Not even close. In the mid 90s you had AJPW and AJW providing amazing matches all the time (and someone like Toyota was doing it on the house shows!) Mexico was on fire, the NJPW jrs were fantastic and you had RINGS and UWFi doing lots of cool stuff too. While we have lots of indies now, we had as many major groups putting out that kind of quality while putting on more major shows.

Non-mainstream US wrestling is more accessible to Westerners right now so more English speaking fans are aware of what's out there, but the economy of wrestling just can't compete with the 90s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC:

CARÍSTICO Y SOBERANO
vs
ÚLTIMO GUERRERO Y SANSÓN

6/16, Finals of the CMLL Gran Alternativa tournament. Super heat, some mind blowing spots and even some great strike exchanges. Awesome stuff, should be easy to find on youtube tomorrow, watch it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Atlantis vs Hechicero, CMLL Arena Puebla 6/19

It feels like Atlantis is working harder and harder as the year progresses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WATCH THIS MATCH. At least watch the third fall.

HM: Barbaro Cavernario vs Volador Jr, CMLL 6/20 Arena Mexico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lacAUH-C4nc&t=6944s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I see Barbaro is still able to walk, let alone wrestle, I'm surprised.

Match was fun though, don't know if I'd call it a HM but that may largely because I'm unfamiliar with the product or the live experience with all the horns constantly blaring etc, which was kinda distracting.

That's called heat my friend.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You can tell this GLOW show is inaccurate garbage if the matches are good!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Ishii vs Naito

MOTYC: Big Mike vs Kenny Omega

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Jay Lethal vs Kenny Omega

Absolutely vicious body work from Omega, led to some great near falls at the end. Very cool sequence with the near One Winged Angel reversal too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW G1 Special USA Night 2, 7/2

It's on the border between HM and MOTYC so I'll second this since no one else is gonna second a MOTYC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: The Young Bucks vs RPG Vice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Senerio posted:

Despite GLOW being a Drama series, it still put on an entertaining wrestling match that had been built up to for the whole season.

It's fake and it couldn't be an accurate portrayal of GLOW if the match was any good making it very bad indeed.

• Locked thread