Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuarial Fables

It's my birthday today, and because I didn't know what to ask for my dad went out and bought a drone.

It's charging right now, and I'll be testing it out tomorrow in the house and doing some FAA registration, but I'm trying to think of what to film out and about. South-Eastern Michigan isn't the most beautiful place right now, and I spend most of my life inside so I'm out of ideas.

Is there something you'd like to see from up above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

hell yeah, i always wanted to see what an airport looks like from the sky, also the white house. thanks in advance!! !

Piso Mojado

also happy bday and welcome to, byob

Manifisto

happy birthday! a drone sounds pretty cool, keep us posted on what you do with it!

sadly I know nothing about southeastern michigan, but looking at a map I'm sort of intrigued by belle isle. is there any cool wildlife there you can come just shy of annoying and maybe get some interesting footage of?

Piso Mojado

is there a local prison close to you? that would be interesting to see, for sure

Actuarial Fables

Airport is a no-go according to the little FAA card it came with (no flying within 5 miles unless you contact them).

Belle Island is a good idea. I'll have to get a friend to come along though so I'm not just some dork flying a drone.
There's some wooded areas near where I live where I might be able to catch some birds, deer, and other cute creatures.

My dad works at a hospital that provides service the state prison, maybe he'll be up to a fly around.

e. Apparently I live within 5 miles of an airport.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 15, 2017

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Put your hopes and dreams on them, fly them into the sky and never stop reaching for them.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Actuarial Fables

I was actually thinking of putting a hook or grabber on it to move things around.

Manifisto

consider emulating this very effective governmental surveillance program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM

Actuarial Fables

$5 to register a drone for recreational use. I thought I would have had to take a quick test to make sure I actually read the information but nope, click click click pay and done.

Plebian Parasite

attach several pieces of yarn to it and entertain a cat

joke_explainer

Awesome! Use it to see what your yard looks like to a bird! (Probably already thought of that)

BIRDCON 2017

attach a high speed camera to it and fly directly into a wall

Plebian Parasite

Fly it into other peoples houses then come tell us about their decor.

joke_explainer

fly it into other people's houses and make it tell them to come post here on byob

Mariana Horchata

Clicked itt to hear tunes m8
/

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

drones have to be registere? like there's a government register for drones now? you know who was big into the government registering things? hitler.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Mariana Horchata

Doctor Dogballs posted:

drones have to be registere? like there's a government register for drones now? you know who was big into the government registering things? hitler.

pffft NOT

if i owned a drone it would want it to be like the drone version of one of those big military planes with the satellite dish on the roof and send it off to fly sorties around town to collect intel and fk around with the public - all outfitted with jammers, a cell phone blocker, and ofc full comms and visuals

like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S940VlRoqJU

but with an unregistered, illegally modifed outlaw drone. that would be badass!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

:science: That big dish you're thinking of isn't a satellite dish, it's a radome. The JSTARS and etc. collection aircraft sensors look more like bubbles or canoes stuck to the fuselage.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
fly into another drone :evilbuddy:

Actuarial Fables

Doctor Dogballs posted:

drones have to be registere? like there's a government register for drones now?

Yup. It's just a form you fill out online with your name, address, and phone number. Then you get a string of numbers and letters that you have to put on your drone. Think of it like a license plate for a car.

If you're just flying for fun, then you can go out and fly it. However, if you're doing it for work/business, you need to be certified to fly unmanned aircraft systems.

Rushi

by Smythe
can you go to a not crappy puppy mill and take photos of the puppies like piled up napping?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mariana Horchata

Doctor Dogballs posted:

:science: That big dish you're thinking of isn't a satellite dish, it's a radome. The JSTARS and etc. collection aircraft sensors look more like bubbles or canoes stuck to the fuselage.

i kno i kno, i just couldnt bring myself to say AWAC in BYOB thats kinda pushing the envelope

Actuarial Fables

I took it for a test fly in my backyard.

It's VERY loud.

A lot louder than I thought it would be, so I didn't fly it around too long as I didn't want to annoy my neighbors too much. You connect your phone to the controller so you're able to see what the camera sees, and it gives a bunch of information. It kept telling me that I'm flying in a restricted area and that I'm too close to obstacles.

Dog #1 was terrified by it. He hid behind my Mom while trying not to acknowledge the scary object.
Dog #2 didn't care at all. She was more excited to see me standing in the backyard and kept trying to get pet.

Rushi posted:

can you go to a not crappy puppy mill and take photos of the puppies like piled up napping?

I could go to the local Humane Society but I'm pretty sure that:
1. The people there wouldn't like it
2. The animals there wouldn't like it

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 15, 2017

joke_explainer

you're just trying to acclimate the dogs so they can adjust to an increasingly drone-filled world... how are those dogs going to get adopted if they can deal with drones flying around them?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Don't forget to spay or neuter your drone or it'll get loose and you might end up with a litter of baby drones you gotta find homes for. Cute little baby drones...

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

death sext

Keep an eye out for other drones so you can battle them

can you attach some sort of paint/colored sand dispenser and make drone art on the ground? alternately attach colored toilet paper and go to town on someone's yard

death sext fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 15, 2017

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

eat the drone

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Use your drone to make crop circles in the ground the next time it snows. If it doesn't snow where you live affix the weather control module accessory for your drone and use it to make it snow. If they don't have weather control modules in this timeline yet forget what I said, it's too soon.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Actuarial Fables

death sext posted:

can you attach some sort of paint/colored sand dispenser and make drone art on the ground? alternately attach colored toilet paper and go to town on someone's yard

That'd be pretty cool to do. Once I stop treating it like an expensive breakable object I'll explore some modding ideas.

Splatmaster posted:

Use your drone to make crop circles in the ground the next time it snows. If it doesn't snow where you live affix the weather control module accessory for your drone and use it to make it snow. If they don't have weather control modules in this timeline yet forget what I said, it's too soon.

It ~should~ be snowing here since it's winter, but it's been super warm so far. "Light snow" scheduled for tomorrow so maybe!

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 15, 2017

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

pollinate flowers with it now that all the bees are dead. you are humanity's only hope now, op

alnilam

If you can afford it, i recommend a spawning pool, but if nothing else instruct your drone to harvest minerals

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i really like to run my drone through like 3 or 4 different delay pedals

it makes it really deep and resonant imo

GL with your drone op its a lot of fun to play

VideoTapir

He'll tire eventually.

Actuarial Fables posted:

It's my birthday today, and because I didn't know what to ask for my dad went out and bought a drone.

It's charging right now, and I'll be testing it out tomorrow in the house and doing some FAA registration, but I'm trying to think of what to film out and about. South-Eastern Michigan isn't the most beautiful place right now, and I spend most of my life inside so I'm out of ideas.

Is there something you'd like to see from up above?

Get in a fight with a raven.

poverty goat

Actuarial Fables posted:

That'd be pretty cool to do. Once I stop treating it like an expensive breakable object I'll explore some modding ideas.

You're going about this all wrong, it's a race against time to do cool things with your expensive breakable object before you crash it

Booblord Zagats

Use it to protect kids from internet predators

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrWillsauce

booblord zagats i love that sig that poo poo is choice

Mac Tonight

aw yeah tahts it man
i wanna see what the fountain at hart plaza looks like from above

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MrWillsauce posted:

booblord zagats i love that sig that poo poo is choice

you should print this sig out and tape it to your drone so you can call it the enterprise! :riker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce

it wouldn't shimmer if it was printed out tho

• Locked thread