Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made scotch eggs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Ranter posted:

getting the right consistency of yolk in a scotch egg is not easy, and that looks loving brilliant.

Stangg posted:

Good job on the egg, love the colour in the sides too.

paraquat posted:

Those colours, wow. That plate is a work of art!

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be making them again, the pickled red onion (super simple) was pretty nice as a side too.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No fancy plating, sorry:

Masoor dal with spinach

Masoor Dal is delicious, did you follow a specific recipe?

Edit: I also made pan seared salmon, samphire and a honey, butter and lemon dressing:

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2018

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Huge portion of spicy lamb kofta, salad and pickled red onion, cabbage and chillis.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Chicken skewers, 'mexican' roasted sweetcorn salad and a bit of toasted bread.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
drat, that looks perfect.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Pan seared seabass, ginger, chilli and some rice.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Prawn and mushroom tagliatelle, pan seared seabass and grilled asparagus.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Terrible plating and photo but Thai fishcakes, jasmine rice and siracha coleslaw:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Fritatta:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Fish tacos:

And Apple Tart Tatin:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Made butter chicken and garlic naans.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Olpainless posted:

Get that loving in me.

... What's your naan recipe? Those look beautifully light.

Haha thanks, I used tipo 00 flour with baking powder rather than any yeast.

1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Mix the dry ingrediants, add the wet and knead for 7-8 mins, rest for 10, makes 8 portions. Cook for 30-40s in a super hot pan, turn and brush with ghee/garlic/coriander (cilantro) mix, turn again and brush the other side after 30s.

The butter chicken recipe was this: https://thekitchenpaper.com/indian-butter-chicken/

But with 1/2tsp turmeric, more chilli powder and more garlic.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 28, 2018

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

I cook a lot of Indian food and I always think I should post it but I can never make it look that photogenic. My rogan josh is delicious but it looks like the red sarcophagus liquid.

It's mostly just lighting, I used the inbuilt flash on my camera but bounced it off the ceiling to get even lighting.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Ginger and Garlic chicken thigh with noodles/pak choi.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Is there a breakfast thread? Couldn't find one so have some eggs benedict, no English muffin though.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Is that a ciabatta roll or a torta roll?

I'd demolish that. Nice yolk runnage.

Yeah ciabatta roll, all I had to hand at 7.30 this morning.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

First day of the season under 50 degrees so made some bœuf bourgignon over papardelle.

When done correctly it’s a lot of effort, but really comes together as something more than the sum of its fairly simple parts.

Looks incredible.

I had no idea what to make today, ended up doing chicken and mushroom pie with fondant potatoes.

Eyeballed everything, came out alright.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Not exactly dinner but I made Raspberry + Lime Macarons, they were far from perfect but still tasty. Also this is why I don't bake.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

silvergoose posted:

This being "because they all end up in my stomach"?

I actually only ate one, gave the rest to my niece + nephew. Thankfully I don't have a sweet tooth, otherwise I'd be 80lbs overweight instead of 30.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Random Hero posted:

Ribeye filet (sous vide @ 135 for 2hrs) with roasted sweet potatoes on whipped goat cheese.

Man, I need to get a sous vide, the steak looks perfect.

I made burgers, brioche and triple cooked sweet potato chips:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You cooked the potatoes three times and that burger an half.

It was a touch rare, not gonna lie. Still ate it though.

TheCog posted:

Tell me more about these triple cooked sweet potato fries. Whenever I make sweet potato fries they turn out more like roasted sweet potatoes if I'm lucky.

Parboil, toss with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and corn flour, Bake for 25 mins then fry for a bit.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Honey & Cumin roast pork belly, sugar snap peas, leek and mushroom croquettes with a pork/onion gravy.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Ranter posted:

im defrosting a pork belly slab right now do you have a recipe please?

These were pre cut slices but I scored the fat, seasoned with salt, pepper, and whole cumin seeds, cook for 1 hour at Gas Mark 2 in a covered dish. Then take the cover off, add around 15ml honey and cook for a further 20-25 mins at Gas Mark 5-6.

For the croquettes, I used two medium potatoes (red rooster potatoes iirc), 1 small leek, 1 spring onion, and 5-6 chestnut mushrooms, cooked off the leek/onion/mushroom with a little of the pork fat that had rendered out.

Mix that all together and chill, should make 6 roughly egg sized croquettes. Flour, eggwash then bread (I used panko breadcrumbs but any would do). Add some flour if the mix is a little too wet. Fry for 5-6 mins.

The gravy again I used some of the rendered fat to cook off half a finely sliced white onion, made a roux and added some stock, then filtered the onion and any bits through a sieve.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 23, 2019

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Double smash burger with local Sussex slipcote cheese, red onion chutney, tomato, streaky bacon and lettuce on a brioche.

I am now dead.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
No pic but a salad with grilled seabass, feta, olives, and a honey/mustard/lemon dressing.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Pineapple fried rice with chicken thigh.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Thai spiced panko breaded fishcakes and fried rice.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks <3

Today was salad, coleslaw and lovely corn/hot dogs cooked on a disposable BBQ.

Actually not bad.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Hoi sin glazed cured pork belly strips with bao buns, pickled daikon/carrot/cucumber and rice flavoured with cardamom, lemon grass and pandan leaves.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

sterster posted:

:drat: That looks loving amazing. How was the pork belly done, just in the oven?

Thanks, yep, I cooked them for about 3 hours at the lowest setting on my oven (slow cook, below gas mark 1) in a covered dish.

Took them out, drained, glaze then cook for 10 mins at gas mark 6 then repeated another 2 times.

kumba posted:

god drat

i tried making bao buns a few weeks ago and failed absolutely miserably. instead of soft, delicious buns of goodness i instead got rigid, crusty bullshit. i followed a recipe and have no idea if it was the recipe (probably not) or me (probably)

may I ask how you properly make these little pillows from heaven?

I am awful for actually using recipes or weighing stuff and this was my first time making these but I'll give you roughly what I used.

250 - 275g plain flour (tipo 00 as this was all I had)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 tsp instant yeast
125ml water
30ml milk
2 tsp veg oil
1 tsp rice vinegar

Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
Mix the water, milk and 1 tsp oil.

Add to together and form a slightly wet dough, add more flour or water as required.

Add 1 tsp rice vinegar to the dough (I didn't add this earlier as I thought it might cause the milk to separate).

Knead for 5-6 mins then rest in a covered bowl for 1 hour or so, depending on how warm the room is.
After it has doubled in size knead again then roll out to around 1/3 inch/8mm thick.
Add the last tsp oil on top and brush, cut with a 3.5-4 inch round (should get 6 ish).
Fold over in half and roll out a little bit more, then rest again in the steamer.

Steam for 12-13 mins, take off the heat but leave them in the steamer, covered for another 10 mins before serving.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Looks great.

If you have a lot of basil I would suggest making basil oil.

Blanch the basil for 30s in boiling water, put into ice water to cool immediately after. Dry off then blend with a small amount of olive oil then freeze for 24h.

Should keep for a few months, freezing it keeps the colour but isn't 100% necessary.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I made cod loin with pea + mint puree, chorizo chips and chili pickled beetroot. No pic but I was pretty happy with the flavours.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
They're great, I love you didn't attempt to find a bigger plate.

I ran a couple of specials today at work so had to try them, naturally.

Pan fried mackeral (caught this morning by my brother), on toasted ciabatta with beetroot and chilli salsa. Cod loin with lemon and mint pea puree and chorizo.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
It's quite a common pairing with white fish/scallops etc. Personally I think it works really well, especially with the saltiness from the chorizo.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I wish Korean BBQ was a thing here.

Testing another special, serrano wrapped monkfish, butternut and habanero veloute with lemon pepper grilled courgettes.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Olpainless posted:

Aaaand a third. The veloute especially sounds great here, has it got a decent kick to it with the habanero?

Thanks, I toned it down a bit as I was testing it (cooked for my Dad who isn't big on heat) but it's definitely noticeable. I put about 1/5 of a small/medium chili to around 500ml of veloute.

Nephzinho posted:

Anyway, anniversary meal yesterday:

Foccaccia with sundried tomatoes and olives:

Beef wellington:

Everything looks great but I want these two please.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Nice, I made some a while back. Fresh scotch eggs are great.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made ramen. Need bigger bowls.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Leftover chili on a baked potato.

I haven't had a baked potato in years so did these for staff food:

Twice-baked potato with cheddar, chorizo, spring onion and a little side salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Kinda looked at Bourdain's recipe and said that's too much work, then looked at Kenji's recipe and said there's room for more flavor, and kinda took inspiration and process from both.

I've never had it before but it looks loving incredible.

Staff meal I did today was chicken and veg pot pie, not bad for using up scraps.