Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice, I've been looking for more soup recipes. Is this available somewhere online? Google fails me.

I'm unable to find it as well so probably not, I'll try to remember to post it tonight when I get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Appreciate it. I assume it's similar to one of the ones that's popping up.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a lot of variations on 'lion's head' soup too (Chinese meatballs). I make big pork meatballs with scallion, white pepper, ginger, tiny bit of sesame oil then pan fry them hard on one side, flip, add broth and other soup ingredients, cover and bring to a simmer. Couple I've made in the past:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Last night my wife and I did beef wellington using the Kenji/Serious Eats recipe. It turned out great.

And then Kenji retweeted us as an example of "what right looks like" which was a nice thing to wake up to. If I were to criticize it's that it went just the tiniest bit over my doneness target, but it's a tenderloin so it wasn't tough at all. Tasted ridiculous.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

overdesigned posted:

Last night my wife and I did beef wellington using the Kenji/Serious Eats recipe. It turned out great.

And then Kenji retweeted us as an example of "what right looks like" which was a nice thing to wake up to. If I were to criticize it's that it went just the tiniest bit over my doneness target, but it's a tenderloin so it wasn't tough at all. Tasted ridiculous.

I was kicking my own rear end last night about the doneness of the venison burgers I made. They were slightly over cooked but everyone seemed to enjoy them.

But they were over cooked :hai:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I was kicking my own rear end last night about the doneness of the venison burgers I made. They were slightly over cooked but everyone seemed to enjoy them.

But they were over cooked :hai:

I'm making white castle sliders tonight pics to come.
EDIT: I forgot to take pictures. We ate them all :(

I find that cooks are generally their own worst critics.
Brisket: Me "Man this is too dry and the bark isn't they way I wanted etc.."
Everyone else *nom nom nom nom* "Holy poo poo this is so good. Like best Brisket I've" nom nom "eaten."

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 29, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sterster posted:

I'm making white castle sliders tonight pics to come.

I find that cooks are generally their own worst critics.
Brisket: Me "Man this is too dry and the bark isn't they way I wanted etc.."
Everyone else *nom nom nom nom* "Holy poo poo this is so good. Like best Brisket I've" nom nom "eaten."

Absolutely

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Also dinner guests unless they're also in the industry aren't going to give real critique.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Spinach and prosciutto stuffed pork loin.

Never made a stuffed pork loin before but this came out great. Extremely tender and juicy.

Stuffed pork loin is great because it looks fancy and tastes great but is easy to do, and there's lots of different options for the filling. This Jacques Pepin recipe or variations thereon has been my go-to for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2kghrzX7E&t=774s

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Entropic posted:

Stuffed pork loin is great because it looks fancy and tastes great but is easy to do, and there's lots of different options for the filling. This Jacques Pepin recipe or variations thereon has been my go-to for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2kghrzX7E&t=774s

Seriously! I couldn't believe how easy it was. Even cutting and unrolling the drat thing was a snap. This is my new go-to for impressing guests with zero effort.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can make some tasty-rear end food, from prepared ingredients or from scratch, but y'all's plating game is beyond me. Lotta' gorgeous-lookin' food and photos.

Anyway, I found an old beat-up set of cast-iron pans under my oven that used to belong to my dad, so I spent last night restoring and re-seasoning them and I wanted to break them in with somethin' special, so I made catfish filets with fried sweet plantains and homemade slow-cooked cuban-style black beans and rice.

I've never made maduros before, so there were some complications peeling them and in the cooking time, but with a few more tries, I think I can nail it. Everything else was perfect.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Appreciate it. I assume it's similar to one of the ones that's popping up.

Sorry for the delay!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

kumba posted:

Sorry for the delay!

Awesome, thanks! I’ll give it a run.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Jose posted:

Watching brad leone videos on youtube got me wanting to make some giardiniera. I had to drain it a few times because I put too much in

How long did you ferment and how did it end up tasting? His videos are hilarious and this is one I've been meaning to try.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Keeping my mushroom kick going. Portobello Parmesan.

Very satisfying. Almost like a very quick and easy Eggplant Parm.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
*smashes face into screen*

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That needs a NSFW tag.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Should have used non-dairy cheese and saved it for the vegan thread...

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Not exactly dinner but I made Raspberry + Lime Macarons, they were far from perfect but still tasty. Also this is why I don't bake.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Raikiri posted:

Not exactly dinner but I made Raspberry + Lime Macarons, they were far from perfect but still tasty. Also this is why I don't bake.

This being "because they all end up in my stomach"?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

silvergoose posted:

This being "because they all end up in my stomach"?

I actually only ate one, gave the rest to my niece + nephew. Thankfully I don't have a sweet tooth, otherwise I'd be 80lbs overweight instead of 30.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sweet_jones posted:

How long did you ferment and how did it end up tasting? His videos are hilarious and this is one I've been meaning to try.

That was just after making it. In his video he made it on a Wednesday and finished it on a Monday so im going to check it on saturday

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Friend posted:

Thanks to y'all for posting about the Budget Bytes Dragon Noodles a few pages ago, I had never heard of it or the website before. Made that and it was great, made their cajun chicken pasta tonight. Forgot to take a picture so here's one of the leftovers before they went in the fridge, but drat it was good

Cheers for the inspiration - looked it up and it sounded right up my street. So...

Why are my herbs/spices wearing a bra?:

A good start:

Let's get this show on the road:

Creamy but needs something:

There we go, some badly chopped green onions!:

The end result:

A lot of pics of something that's not much to look at but you're drat right that it's drat good. Am amazed you even had leftovers as I couldn't stop picking at what wasn't eaten right there and then.

This fella, for reference...

All y'alls are making some beautiful stuff (those macarons!) so apologies for my humble poo poo.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

franco posted:

Cheers for the inspiration - looked it up and it sounded right up my street. So...

The end result:

A lot of pics of something that's not much to look at but you're drat right that it's drat good. Am amazed you even had leftovers as I couldn't stop picking at what wasn't eaten right there and then.

This fella, for reference...

All y'alls are making some beautiful stuff (those macarons!) so apologies for my humble poo poo.

Never apologise for a delicious and wonderful looking plate of food.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

franco posted:

There we go, some badly chopped green onions!:

Looks great! Speaking of badly chopped green onions, what is the secret to properly chopping and separating green onions, goons? I usually try to kinda squeeze them between my fingers or roll them in my palm but they just slide out of my hand or split apart until I get annoyed and give up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Friend posted:

Looks great! Speaking of badly chopped green onions, what is the secret to properly chopping and separating green onions, goons? I usually try to kinda squeeze them between my fingers or roll them in my palm but they just slide out of my hand or split apart until I get annoyed and give up.

I generally do slivered green onions where you're cutting them just slightly off axis from their long axis.

This works well when preparing green onions as a garnish, in a salad, etc where the delicate texture and high surface area is desired. If you're putting them in a stew or stock you'd want to cut them more coarsely or they'll just break down entirely. This is sorta just Knife Skills 101 but green onions are excellent for practicing this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like bias to me

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/knife-skills-how-to-slice-scallions.html

Kenji has a whole subsection on basic knife cuts on serious eats

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I can slice 'em just fine, it's separating the inside from the out that gives me trouble, though looking at Kenji's pics I think my problem is I'm not slicing them nearly thin enough. Thank you all!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Current mood:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Olpainless posted:

Never apologise for a delicious and wonderful looking plate of food.

Fair point. And thanks!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pizza night! Made some dough and then baked it up. Lots of salami and diced bacon with three different types of chillies for flavour.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Did a roasted branzino with tomatoes and fennel.

Fish was stuffed with some lemon slices and a nice sprig of rosemary.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Did a roasted branzino with tomatoes and fennel.

Fish was stuffed with some lemon slices and a nice sprig of rosemary.

This is beautiful. Well done.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
fish goes from "OH poo poo LIFE IS PAIN" to lookin real fuckin happy in the last shot

looks delicious

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Ribeye filet (sous vide @ 135 for 2hrs) with roasted sweet potatoes on whipped goat cheese.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Random Hero posted:

Ribeye filet (sous vide @ 135 for 2hrs) with roasted sweet potatoes on whipped goat cheese.

Is there any more to the whipped goat cheese besides just whipping goat cheese? That sounds like an amazing veggie sauce,

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Brawnfire posted:

Is there any more to the whipped goat cheese besides just whipping goat cheese? That sounds like an amazing veggie sauce,

Goat cheese, a little garlic powder, fresh thyme, lemon zest + juice and a little greek yogurt. It was really good and went well with the sweet potatoes that I seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Random Hero posted:

Goat cheese, a little garlic powder, fresh thyme, lemon zest + juice and a little greek yogurt. It was really good and went well with the sweet potatoes that I seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika.

That's a great idea, did you come up with it yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Random Hero posted:

Man, I need to get a sous vide, the steak looks perfect.

I made burgers, brioche and triple cooked sweet potato chips: