Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
No sous vide or torch, I'm just a wizard with a nonstick pan I guess? This was the thickest cut I think I've ever cooked, it was a 1.5lb ribeye that was probably 1.5" thick

My method: about 2 hours before cook time, take the steak out, pat it dry, liberally apply kosher salt, set on a wire rack in the fridge. When the time comes, I pat the steak dry again, apply more kosher salt and pepper. Half a stick of salted butter into my pan on very high, steak goes in when it's melted. Sear that side for about 2 minutes, then sear all the edges. While the edges are searing, I throw in a sprig of rosemary and a few smashed garlic cloves. Afterwards, with steak now on the last remaining unseared side, spoon the butter over it constantly until that side is done, then form a makeshift bed out of the rosemary and garlic cloves and put the steak on top of it. Thermometer goes in with the alarm set to 123F, then into the oven at 275F until it's done. Take it out, spoon the butter over it one last time, rest for 10 minutes, consume.

The asparagus is done in the oven @ 400 for about 15 minutes with just salt/pepper/crushed red pepper/olive oil, then I add some grated parm and throw it under the broiler for a minute

Mushrooms & onions just in a pan with oil/salt/pepper/crushed red pepper, then add some balsamic to the pan after 7-8 minutes of cooking, and just cook until the liquid disappears and they get nice and brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

That's an incredible lack of gradient for a pan steak, good work! I am a dumb and bad cook for presuming.

Thank you :)

I was really worried by the end of cooking time that the gradient would be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
crab boil for the fourth

e: vv

it was real good

kumba fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 5, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Angel hair w/ scallops, fried basil, and butter topped with parsley and capers

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chicken breast with homemade pesto, mashed cauliflower with parm, braised leeks with garlic and herb butter

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
chicken and veggies with peanut sauce

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
shrimp and bacon with zucchini noodles and garlic parmesan cream sauce

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
lunch from today: khachapuri

dough:

cheese topping: milk/flour/butter + feta & mozzarella

pre-bake

into the oven at 450 for about 15 minutes, then take out, crack and egg on top, and throw on some butter. 3 minutes later:

stir that up

tear off some bread and dip in the egg and cheese

:discourse:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Naw no mixer required, just a few minutes of stirring and kneading by hand does the trick

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Praeda posted:

:confused: Are those... googly eyes?

i am really glad i'm not the only one with that immediate reaction

would eat it, googly eyes included

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Various soups, chili, pot roast

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Casu Marzu posted:

Holla challah

gently caress that looks good

e: for content, seared tuna sandwiches with arugula, tomato, and lemon garlic aioli

pictures came out terrible but it was delicious

kumba fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 4, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
challah french toast is god tier

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Recently got a Dutch oven big enough to make serious eats bolognese

Meat browned, veggies softened and added

Wine added, ready to reduce

An hour or so into the oven

Finished product after 3 hours in the oven and added parmesan, cream, fish sauce, more fresh parsley

Dinner, served over bucatini with more fresh parmesan

And now I have a shitload of leftovers to feed family over the next few days!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Christmas Dinner

Oxtail au jus, made on Sunday, in gelatinous form

Prime rib, Serious Eats style

Served with potatoes parboiled then roasted, sauteed kale with lemon, garlic, and shallot, and a garlic cream sauce

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Salmon, cucumber, avocado, green onion, salmon skin chips, and fried mahi nuggets with spicy mayo and toasted sesame seeds over sticky rice

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i got a raclette grill for christmas and finally got to use it!

got some portabellas, onions, sausage, swiss and extra sharp white cheddar

not pictured: gorgonzola, steak marinated in soy/worcestershire/garlic/basil/lemon, and a french baguette

this was the first round and I quickly learned to get rid of the excess marinade after this batch

little bites of heaven!!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's a grill on top with little nonstick pans under a low heat broiler below it, so you grill the meats and veg on top and melt the cheese / toast the bread below

It's very much like fondue in that it's meant to be a group thing that takes a good amount of time while you drink several bottles of wine

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Tonight we made salmon salad with avocado, jalapeno, cucumber, mango, and a sesame lime dressing with a salmon skin chip and coconut jasmine rice

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Last night we made Chrissy Teigan's "wonton" soup which uses cut up wonton wrappers as noodles and the meat that would normally go in the wontons just in the broth. Shrimp & pork meatballs, mushrooms, broth, scallions, jalapenos, cilantro, and fish sauce. It was amazing, will definitely be making this constantly

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice, I've been looking for more soup recipes. Is this available somewhere online? Google fails me.

I'm unable to find it as well so probably not, I'll try to remember to post it tonight when I get home

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Appreciate it. I assume it's similar to one of the ones that's popping up.

Sorry for the delay!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Alton Brown's portobello mushroom stroganoff

Super rich and creamy and, thanks to the goat cheese, has a nice tanginess that really sets it apart from other stroganoff I've made

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Based on a Blue Apron recipe, spicy peanut chicken thigh with berbere, sauteed kale with garlic, and jasmine rice

Pan seared scallops, cucumber salad, sticky coconut rice

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
For Valentine's Day, we decided to treat each other by making the most low effort meal possible in order to do things other than cook, so we had Vigo black beans and rice with tomatoes red onion and cilantro

It was delicious and simple

Served with the finest $15 champagne

kumba fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 15, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Random Hero posted:

72 hour short ribs over mushroom risotto:

:drat:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like breast meat. Why not thighs? Thighs>breasts. Fight me.

I've been saying this for years and my wife finally agrees with me, I think using thighs for chicken meatballs instead of breasts is what finally converted her. Meatballs from breast meat are far too dry and end up kinda spongy , whereas the fat from the thighs really makes for a much better texture

Monday night's meal was a portobello mushroom cap (I know it doesn't look like it but it's there!) stuffed with shrimp, onions, and garlic, topped with breadcrumbs and parsley and baked, with a side of buttery, garlicky, lemony angel hair with some extra shrimp filling

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress hormel, this is the one true hot dog chili

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I use a lot of jarred curries because I can't be arsed and they're delicious. Tried doing that cracked coconut method on Sunday before adding a healthy amount of madras curry, garlic, and ginger and holy hell I was not expecting it to make that big of a difference. The coconut flavor shined through way more than any time we've made it previously, so thanks to whoever suggested that!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
today's lunch: watermelon salad

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Re: fries—I’m trying to think of bad fried potatoes but nothing happens

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Those four things, plus a drizzle of olive oil and that's it! Super tasty and very refreshing for summer

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Raikiri posted:

Hoi sin glazed cured pork belly strips with bao buns, pickled daikon/carrot/cucumber and rice flavoured with cardamom, lemon grass and pandan leaves.

god drat

i tried making bao buns a few weeks ago and failed absolutely miserably. instead of soft, delicious buns of goodness i instead got rigid, crusty bullshit. i followed a recipe and have no idea if it was the recipe (probably not) or me (probably)

may I ask how you properly make these little pillows from heaven?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tonight: a pork loin experiment

salt & pepper, only put rosemary and thyme on one cause i wasn't sure if it would be too much with everything else going on (it wasn't)

turned my oven as low as it goes (170F), set thermometer to 145 (took about 2.5 hours). let rest while making the rest!

blackberry balsamic reduction

chopped up the almonds and mixed em in the goat cheese with some honey

i could just eat this straight. it's so good.

3-4 minutes under the broiler while i fry up some fresh sage in butter

and there we have it: a slow-cooked pork loin with a honey & almond goat cheese crust, blackberry balsamic reduction, and fried sage, with a side of roasted brussel sprouts and onions

it was loving delicious and i will definitely be making this again.

as a bonus that i didn't think about until i started cooking: after straining the reduction, i was left with a mass of macerated blackberry & balsamic goodness, so i had to run out to the store for the some vanilla ice cream

couple scoops of ice cream, some of that compote, and a pinch of kosher salt :discourse:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
and now, after last night's fanciness, baked buffalo wings using the baking powder method. never tried that before, turned out great

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Random Hero posted:

I really like the effects of dry brining steak, and it takes so little effort aside from planning. Even if you can only do it for a few hours before you cook it, it's worth it. Overnight is the best though.

Indeed. Salt & laying on a wire rack for 24 hours in the fridge before cooking makes a massive difference. Also works great for chicken wings.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
beef and broccoli

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
did asian fusion tonight: char siu, red miso soup with shrimp balls, edamame, wakame

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Poached tilapia with fresh basil from the garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector 34 posted:

Those last 2 both look awesome. Definitely want to do some kind of fish + pasta like that in the near future. Sounds like a great Summer dinner.

it's nice because it's ingredients we generally have around and you can easily poach from frozen so if you forget to plan something it's super simple to throw together

we just do cherry tomatoes sliced in half + 2 cloves of sliced garlic in a pan for about 6 minutes, deglaze with some white wine, add a cup of veg/whatever stock you got on hand, some frozen fish filets and some basil, cover and simmer for 20ish minutes, salt and pepper throughout

make pasta, throw on more fresh basil and some parm, bam, dinner