Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Starting a few weeks away from home so cooked up another lasagne from scratch. Perfect comfort food.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tried making pulled pork for the first time in the slow cooker. Used it for tacos. Impressed by how much fat comes off a pork shoulder and how juicy it ends up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That Works posted:

Next time separate out some of the fat and reserve, take the meat and drain the liquid out of it with a slotted spoon or something, spread the meat out on a sheet in a thin layer, paint it a little bit with the reserved fat and toss it under the broiler to crisp up and brown the tips. Turn it all over on the pan and repeat.

It goes from being very good like you just did to even better.

That sounds forking delicious. Will definitely try next time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

yung lambic posted:

You've just inspired me to purchase a slow cooker. I love the idea of setting this up in the morning, drinking beer out all day, then coming home for some ready-made tacos. Any other good uses for one?

We make lamb shanks in ours all the time and they're awesome

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

poop dood posted:

I have definitely shattered a mason jar full of hot bacon fat by putting it straight back into the fridge though, so leave it sitting out so the hot fat cools down a bit before you put it back.

Yeah, after blowing up a Pyrex dish once I'm ultra paranoid about doing that again

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

iajWife is out of town so got drunk af and cooked up the 700g steak from the freezer using serious eats reverse sear method. So juicy...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bored baking day. Today's experiment was a rye sourdough. Quite tasty with a poached egg and bacon.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Totally Reasonable posted:

I like this poached egg. Is that the stir and drop method? It looks so dynamic.

Yep. It's the only method I've been able to get consistently good yolks with.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Framboise posted:

I'm not as amazing as you guys but my girlfriend got me a big, red, glossy cast iron dutch oven for Christmas this year, and I decided to take it on its maiden voyage with a pot of zuppa toscana.

It's delicious.

Recipe please

Also that looks delicious

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Framboise posted:

Sure. https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-zuppa-toscana-234423

I ended up using less potato than it says to use. I think the potatoes I got were much larger than the recipe asks for and even 2 of them crowded the pot so I used probably 1.5 extra large potatoes.

Thanks!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Had some leftover prawns from Xmas so marinated them and threw them on the bbq and knocked up some mango and chilli salsa. Good hangover food.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay I made crepes for the first time and they were edible. They had a creamy chicken, mushroom and asparagus filing. I didn't really know how to flip them or cook them since I don't really eat crepes so it was a bit experimental. At least after the first failed one I was able to get them out of the pan.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 5, 2019

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My first attempt was a little blob of sad looking batter. It doesn't help that I don't really like pancakes so never make them.

Savoury crepes on the other hand turned out to be delicious and will be being made again.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pizza night! Made some dough and then baked it up. Lots of salami and diced bacon with three different types of chillies for flavour.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Loco posted:

Hipster toast aka avocado toast on homemade sourdough bread. Not pictured: the other two slices I accidentally

Looks delicious, just needs some crumbled feta and I'd be breaking into your home to steal it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay lasagne night tonight

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I like the sound of that spicy sauce

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sunday night is bbq night. Marinated pork cutlets with sweet potato wedges.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can't imagine living in a continent where you couldn't bbq all through the Xmas period. That's the best part of the holiday!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Live in a good state that doesn't burn down all the time

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

emotive posted:

Some mushroom shoyu I threw together over the weekend

Stop posting photos from restaurants

(That looks incredible)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Made dough today and we made pizzas

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I must be getting older because everything on that song sounded totally rad to me

Yeah it really resonated

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Made some mini quiches last night for a kid's 1st birthday party and was drunk af so made mini pot cottage pies for dinner

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ranter posted:

Add a grilled pineapple ring, some sliced pickled beetroot, canadian bacon and baby, you got an aussie burger with the lot :australia:

I'm gonna do the same in my new IP this weekend! Did you use the SA Chinese food thread recipe?

Resident burger eating :australia: checking in to say no, we don't put baby on our burgers

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

I thought you fried them up and served them on the side

Exactly.

Also gently caress off pineapple, that's a trash burger item

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

jobson groeth posted:

Look at you taking umbrage with the pineapple and not the pickles or the mustard, tomato sauce combo instead of bbq sauce. Hand in your thongs and eureka stockade flag tattoo.

loving bbq sauce can gently caress off too. The exception is the reaper chilli bbq sauce I got from the markets in the weekend, that can stay

And that snag meat idea sounds like a winner

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I know it doesn't look impressive (nor is it complicated or difficult), but dinner tonight made me feel super proud. Made everything from scratch, had four different foods cooking separately simultaneously (in the oven, the stovetop, the bbq and a pan on the bbq side burner), and had to overcome challenges on the fly (the steaks were all cooked to specific, different, requests, and all hosed up their cooking times because our bbq is terrible, so I had to switch which was which around and play it by ear). Everything came out delicious and was well complimented (and everyone had seconds), and I feel very satisfied with my glass of wine, listening to the dishwasher.

It's scotch fillet steaks cooked on the barbecue, with a mushroom cream sauce. The sides are potato au gratin and garlic butter beans.

E: I was most happy that I got the steaks cooked perfectly. Mine was medium-rare, the others were medium and medium-well. 70% of the way through the cooking process I realised none were going to get close to the right temperatures, but they were in the right ballpark to switch around and still get the right results.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay it's dinner pizza time

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

Didn't know there's other people who discovered eggs as pizza topping. Goes very well with spicy things.

My favourite pizza place back home in Sydney has the Galaxy pizza (every ingredient they have with an egg in the centre)

Delicious

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It burnt around the edges, but my first attempt at cauliflower pizza came out delicious. This had a chopped up pork chop and habanero topping.

Could use a little more with squeezing the moisture out of the cauliflower post processing, and a little more baking time. Still was delicious, with a flavourful base.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ranter posted:

google fathead pizza. It's way better than cauliflower shite if you're trying to low carb.

The weird thing is that I wasn't trying to do anything low carb, I just had a half cauliflower and no idea what to do with it (I normally hate the stuff)

Although that recipe looks loving awesome and I will be trying it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay pizza night

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Iajwife is away so I'm pretending to be classy n poo poo with my steak and risoni salad

iajanus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 1, 2019

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Been a bit of a long time, so figured it was family lasagne time

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Hello yes can I be family?

Sure, have a plate

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I made a thing.

It looks a bit surprised

(Also delicious)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I roasted a lamb

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hosting this year, got to make two roast chickens (one the day before and served stripped and cold), marinated mushrooms, corns barbecued in garlic herb butter, a ham, salads and a potato bake. Came out okay, although the seasoning burnt a little on the chicken skin (crispy af though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Impressive looking Pavlova that I'm sure tastes great, but Christ I hate the texture of meringue. Just can't past it :(.