Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I made spaghetti sauce from scratch for the first time. With shameful store-bought garlic bread.

I also made black raspberry cobbler.

Not all cooking is easy but a lot of good, lovely healthy cooking is :shobon:

This is great and certainly how I started myself. Next step: shakshuka. That poo poo owns. Google Guardian Perfect Shakshuka and basically do that recipe at the end but roast the peppers first.

(I love the Guardian Perfect 'whatever' recipe series because they go through a lot of other recipes and their reasons as to how they got to their final one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Man, 'gnome's porridge' would have been good for the culturally insensitive cooking thread.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Panko breaded juustoleipä cheese sandwich with lettuce, onion and tomato.

:hai:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_chamaemorus

Cloudberries are amazing. They grow mostly in subarctic areas and look like yellow/orange raspberries with bigger 'cells'. Best use of them is to make jam out of them, smells real funky as you're cooking them up but is heavenly served as a hot syrup on vanilla ice cream. I now need to try it with this Finnish cheese thing.

You can easily get cloudberry jam from ikea etc. but be warned, it's waaaaaaay too sweet and not very cloudberry-ish, I guess because they try to stretch the cloudberry. AFAIK you still can't cultivate them at any reasonable scale for export.

We get some every year or two from my uncle's partner :)

edit: the 'funky' smell as you cook them isn't bad actually, just very individual.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 17, 2018

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dubu jorim (not pictured: rice)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

iajanus posted:

Been bbqing a heap recently so had to try cooking a 700g steak with bbq corn in herb butter on a random Saturday. Cooked in a crust of chilli and seasoning, with some home baked bread and horseradish cream.

Looks great! I'd recommend more char on the corn though. Love me some char on grilled corn (then cover in mix of mayonnaise, feta, garlic, lime juice and chili powder)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

Thali #2! Butter chicken, masoor dal, cucumber/craisin raita, bitter melon and mango pickle, mint chutney, and naan!

Holy gently caress that looks absolutely perfect.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Edit: cheese soufflé, spaghetti carbonara, ma po tofu

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Tacos Al pastor

First tile doing 'proper' Mexican stuff.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

sterster posted:

I'm not trying to shame here. I've only ever seen Al Pastor in corn tortillas from any food truck or establishment. I usually use street taco size tortillas for mine too, single or doubled up. Taco build for us is Al pastor, cojita, red onion, salsa verde, cilantro, lime juice. Optional are sub red for white onion, and add cabbage, pineapple chunks to complement the meat. I'm curios about how. you cooked your meat/recipe. This is something the wife and I have been making for a while now.

Use the serious eats recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/tacos-al-pastor-recipe.html

I changed to red salsa since we can't get fresh tomatillos here and the tortillas were unfortunately bought. I've found a place I can order masa from but haven't done it yet.

I'm in rural Sweden, by the way so it ain't so easy to get everything just right. In any case, it was very good! Even if undeniably not the real thing..

NLJP fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 28, 2020

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kadhi with fried chickpeas

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

ogarza posted:

is that serrano?

The pepper? Yeah

Edit:at least I'm pretty sure, it was from basically a grap bag of chilies

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I want to like it but what am I looking at?

Sorry it was late and I didn't think, its Shawarma (Well, it wasn't done on a spit but..)

Slow cooked lamb, caramelised onions, salt chili pickles, mint, yoghurt, cabbage salad,homemade pita bread.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 7, 2020

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Lamb rezala, garlic naan and amaranth masala

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Cocos Islands curry with fried tofu instead of chicken

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Lanzhou beef lamian, it was amazing tbh

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Had crayfish for my mum's 70th birthday on sunday

They became bisque tonight

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

First time making Czech style goulash. It turned out just right, exactly like I remember from my local pub when I worked in Brno for a short while

Dumpling shape got wonky but imo texture was right

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

large hands posted:

Never heard of it but it looks fantastic and I'm a sucker for stew and dumplings, got a link to a decent looking recipe?

https://www.cooklikeczechs.com/gulas-czech-beef-goulash/

https://www.cooklikeczechs.com/houskove-knedliky-czech-bread-dumplings/

This is the one I used, and then recipe for the bread dumplings though I had to use a modified recipe since I couldn't get that kind of flour, so I did half 00 flour and half fine semolina and it worked great. I also didn't put in the stale bread because the ones 8 had over there tended not to have it.

Edit: and the pickled chilies are optional but a great addition and goulash is often served with some. Raw onion to garnish is vital.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 12, 2021

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Tomato egg drop soup and Sichuan style shaobing

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Persian lamb and mint meatballs in preserved lemon and yoghurt sauce

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thai style mussels

We usually do moules marinieres as default so this was a real nice change and I think I prefer it tbh

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I didn't get a pic of the full spread and plate cos it got busy but check out these geese

So happy with our new oven!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Oh forgot to post this for the bread people. I still haven't made these often but imo they always turn out great so here's the crumb etc.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

God drat bud

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

toplitzin posted:

A far less fancy chili fries

Also hella grand tbf

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Imo white would work grand with ramen but I'm just spitballing

We had systembolaget boxed wines for our various Christmas dinners though so what do I know :unsmith:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah the 'white is only for apperitif and fish' is starting to die finally

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It took me twenty five years to get into pate and by God it was worth the wait

Pate with a good brioche, pate in Swedish blood soup (only thing that makes it work), banh mi..

Growing up in Germany leberkäse just made me ill at the thought though wikipedia tells me it's not a liver thing anymore so uh I dunno bout that one

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Shanghainese-ish braised tofu with dressed carrot

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

what did you do for the tofu?? that looks awesome

Basically this with added red peppers since we had some we needed to use

https://thewoksoflife.com/vegan-1-2-3-4-5-tofu/

Edit: note, it ALWAYS takes longer to fry tofu to a nice gold brown than anyone is willing to tell you. Just go til you think it looks right. It's like browning onions, all recipes lie about it. Edit: gave the red peppers a good strong blister though it does t look it

The carrots I just did like three tablespoons light soy sauce to one black vinegar, dash of sugar and msg and like a teaspoon of toast sesame oil I think but basically I always just go by taste edit2: for about four times that amount of carrot, mind

NLJP fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 21, 2022

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Green curry

Creme caramel

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Both look good but the "green curry" descriptor threw me off for a moment - I'd already scrolled down to the creme caramel and thought "Huh, that's the weirdest goddamn curry I've ever seen."

Oops :shobon:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

First time Japanese curry (from scratch)

Verdict: I'd be willing to try from someone who really knows what they're doing but the schnitzel was the best bit and I'd rather have that in another style. Guess I'll make curry bread with the leftover curry anyway.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Torquemada posted:

My impression (based on nothing first-hand) is that the Japanese make curry almost exclusively from a base and Thais almost exclusively make their paste fresh. Have I misinformed myself?

No but there's no reason you can't just DIY

I mean, it's roux and spices. Not complicated.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bageled again
Hot-smoked salmon on red cabbage and apple salad is on the left, cold-smoked with cream cheese and red onion on the right

NLJP fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 4, 2023

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's fat Tuesday my droogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Once again on evenings it's just me I turn to congee