Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive been thinking about doing this for ages and bit the bullet, just got back from the store with my new Saturn. The games I picked up so far are:

Deep Fear (SEGA, 1998)
DJ Wars (Exit, 1997)
Gungriffon: The Eurasian Conflict (Game Arts, 1996)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Atlus, 1995)

They were currently out of Action Replay 4M Plus' at the store, so I can't actually play any of these games yet (region locked without it) but its in the mail, along with an extra controller. I bought these because they were dirt cheap compared to spendign 60 dollars on a copy of NiGHTs or whatever. Once the action replay arrives I can start just burning CDRs and playing whatever I want so please send me some Saturn recs, the only saturn game Ive ever played was Enemy Zero on an emulator (on my list to finish on the actual hardware at some point). Also good multiplayer games would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

PM me when you're done, bro.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deep Fear is an awesome survival horror game with a black guy named pookie, and it has english voices.. I played and beat it back in the late 90s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought all the covers solely off their covers for the true 90s experience. Except for Devil Summoners, I knew I wanted a SMT game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Kenji Eno's cult classic D was recently released on Sega Saturn.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I bought all the covers solely off their covers for the true 90s experience. Except for Devil Summoners, I knew I wanted a SMT game.

Enemy Zero has some pretty racy scenes for a 90s game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

PM me when you're done, bro.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think somebody figured out how to make a flash cart for Saturn but they haven't released it yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think somebody figured out how to make a flash cart for Saturn but they haven't released it yet

There's a way to use a Action Replay 4M Plus and load it with a program called Pseudo Saturn Kai that lets you just play CDRs of burned games. I watched a video how to and it seems manageable. It's good too bc Saturn prices are grossly inflated

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

There's a way to use a Action Replay 4M Plus and load it with a program called Pseudo Saturn Kai that lets you just play CDRs of burned games. I watched a video how to and it seems manageable. It's good too bc Saturn prices are grossly inflated

Yeah I heard about that too. I'll do it with my Saturn one of these days.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Definitely do CD-Rs. Saturn games stupidly expensive. You should play Die Hard Arcade, it's an insane arcade brawler. The Saturn has the best version of street fighter alpha 3 with almost no load times and if you haven't played Policenauts yet, the Saturn version is the best one. Generally, Capcom arcade games all got great ports and snk games all got crap ports. And Daytona USA's best port is on the Saturn even though it's clearly rushed.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
virtua on is a v dope game, 3D robot fighting

if you can find a light gun HotD, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Revolution X and Area 51 are all solid, however you cant have a flatscreen or it fucks with the aim

Dark Saviour is a personal favorite of mine, there's four different playthroughs and a boss rush mode that unlock depending on how fast you clear the tutorial. its an isometric rpg with platforming elements and the combat plays like a 2d fighting game, and you can capture enemy fighters and have them battle in your place if you get their health low enough

Panzer Dragoon is very good

I remember enjoying Clockwork Knight but I'm not sure how well it holds up today

X men vs Street fighter is real good, earthworm jim is a classic too

In the Hunt is a real cool submarine themed bullet hell, the pixel art and sprites is on par with the Metal Slug series

Sega Rally/Daytona are good, OG Road Rash is still fun as hell

those are all the good ones i can remember off the top of my head, as far as good games go when you're a sega saturn thalidomide baby like i was

my dad had multiple double cd books full of saturn games, im still not sure how he managed to get them all

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhLNJEKOy4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My list so far

3x3 Eyes
Amok
Advanced V.G.
SotN port
Assault Suit Leynos 2
Astal
Baroque
Blast Wind
Bulk Slash
Burning Rangers
Chaos Seed
Devil Summoner
Beyond Oasis
Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
Nights into Dreams
Princess Crown
Shojo Kakumei Utena: Itsuka Kakumeisareru Monogatari
Super Tempo
Virtual Hydlide
Falcom Classics I and II
Die Har Arcade
Virtua On
Dark Saviour
Panzer Dragoon
Clockwork Knight
Saturn Bomberman
Enemy Zero
Quake
Wipeout XL
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 1st Impression
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 2nd Impression

This will last me through the year most likely. I also probably won't finish 90% of these

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man how could I forget Neon Genesis Evangelion: Girlfriend of Steel.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Is the Saturn version of sotn the superior version? I've only played the psx version

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

that's cool. there was some saturn crap i want to try but last time i checked a few years ago the chinese company that produced mod chips stopped making them and they go for like 200 dollars now too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Is the Saturn version of sotn the superior version? I've only played the psx version

it has a lot of lag, music is hosed up, and the extra area is garbage that adds nothing to the game. maria is cool i guess

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Oh man how could I forget Neon Genesis Evangelion: Girlfriend of Steel.

enjoy playing a visual novel in japanese

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

it has some extra content but it's poorly implemented or just boring and everything else about the port is inferior

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

It's definitely time to replay sotn, i keep chuckling about IT not believing everyone about the upside down castle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just want to try Maria mode I've heard the Saturn version blows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was also 200 dollars at a store near me. The gently caress?

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
i've never seen a saturn in person and have no idea what kind of games are on it. cool you can go out and buy one near you

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

enjoy playing a visual novel in japanese

hell yeah

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its cool it has been talking about buying the saturn at a store near him for months with no risk of it being sold and disappearing forever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

its cool it has been talking about buying the saturn at a store near him for months with no risk of it being sold and disappearing forever

They had like 5. Both NA and JP models

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

low demand for 20 year old consoles

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain gently caress Face posted:

i've never seen a saturn in person and have no idea what kind of games are on it. cool you can go out and buy one near you

it has lots of arcade ports and weird japanese games and not much else, hence why its much easier to source Japanese games/systems than local stuff

Sega was completely self-destructive during the Saturn era so their hardware was expensive and overly complex without necessarily being good, their US office was anti-RPG at the height of the JRPG craze and they managed to go the entire console cycle without releasing a mainline Sonic game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah Sonic R was the other game they had. Sonic R and NiGhts. A two pack for like 120 dollars lol.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

play the working designs magic knight rayerth game which is just a so-so action rpg but since its a 90s vic ireland joint you get all the good poo poo you want from a shojo anime game localization like the magic knights talking about bill clintons cigars and saying schwing and maybe pwning the heck out of carrot top

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

play the working designs magic knight rayerth game which is just a so-so action rpg but since its a 90s vic ireland joint you get all the good poo poo you want from a shojo anime game localization like the magic knights talking about bill clintons cigars and saying schwing and maybe pwning the heck out of carrot top

that is what i want

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is deep fear the underwater resident evil game?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Dont forget snatcher

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
virtual hydlide lol

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
that ones real bad, you definitely want to avoid it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've always wanted to try the garden area in SOTN

virtual hydlide is a cool concept, but playing it looks like it'd be nauseating

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The action replay arrived today and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get music to play in DJ Wars. It's like a primordial DJ hero, it's kind of insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the start button on my controller is kinda broken, I have to really get thumb in there for it to work. Mildly annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The saturn has the best version of the original rayman, if you're into classic platforming.

• Locked thread