Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.ausopen.com/index.html

The first slam of the year begins on Monday, January 16 and ends on Sunday, January 29. Subtract 16 hours for U.S. Eastern Time.

TV coverage starts at 7 p.m. ET every day on ESPN2 with additional coverage on http://www.watchespn.com. The AO website and app also offer radio streams which are very good.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
N Djokovic 6/4
A Murray 6/4
S Wawrinka 12/1
M Raonic 16/1
R Nadal 16/1
R Federer 25/1
K Nishikori 33/1
G Dimitrov 33/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
S Williams 3/1
A Kerber 7/2
Karolina Pliskova 7/1
G Muguruza 11/1
S Halep 12/1
J Konta 16/1
A Radwańska 25/1
D Cibulkova 28/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Today is quite warm and tomorrow is going to be hot AF during the day. 38 degrees forecast for Melb (100+ Fahrenheit) which is often a lot hotter on-court.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

Today is quite warm and tomorrow is going to be hot AF during the day. 38 degrees forecast for Melb (100+ Fahrenheit) which is often a lot hotter on-court.
No heat protocol for the men is baffling.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Halep is struggling and has been broken.

I suspect men will take a pointless toilet break just to get away from the heat.

e: and Rogers has a two break lead in the second set against Halep. Oh well.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
At Nishikori v Kuznetsov, be surprised if Kuznetsov comes back, was getting really frustrated in the third set. Nishikori hasn't been playing stellar but doing just enough so far

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Halep never seems to be that good in majors.

Windmill Hut posted:

I play at Melbourne Park when the open isn't on and it's crazy hot on court when the sun is out.

spamman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It was only 31 today but would probably get closer to 40 on the arena courts. Direct sun and no air moving through

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Somehow I'm not surprised - but still disappointed - to wake up and find out Halep lost.

With Kvitova out I'm rooting for Radwanska to finally win a major.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't been watching the match, but wtf is Murray doing?

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Tomic goes through easy. Kyrgios looks to be going through even easier. Good times.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

This Wawrinka/Klizan match is all kinds of mental. Klizan playing with no fear, Wawrinka having to find extra gears

Edit: And he found them. Gutsy win.

spamman fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 16, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL at Venus and Serena pulling out of doubles too late for the tournament to replace them with another pair.

What a couple of dicks.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Kerber looks like trash right now. Just dropped six straight points in a tie breaker, two were double faults.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

This is a classic Kerber match and I mean that in a bad way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you aren't watching Kyrgios/Seppi in the 5th just lol what are you doing with your life

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

If you aren't watching Kyrgios/Seppi in the 5th just lol what are you doing with your life

Kyrgios gonna Kyrgios.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Nice revenge from Seppi.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the old man beats tomic rn

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Having been two sets up and perfectly comfortable in this match against the Italian journeyman, Kyrgios dissolved into mess of code violations and unforced errors and in doing so, turned a straightforward match-up into a five-set horror show of scarcely believable proportions.

Fuucckk how did I miss this

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What a joke, tomic is unable to move and this grandpa just keeps hitting balls to him instead of finishing him off.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It's great Dan Evans managed to keep it going. From being famous for being drunk to beating a Slam winner!

Josh Lyman posted:

He was two sets up when I went to sleep :mad:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I remember when Kyrgios was somewhat likeable in his first Aus Open as a great new Aussie hope after progressing from juniors. Then, at the following one he had some ridiculous hair style and an attitude to go along with it, and it was all downhill from there

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

And it's Istomin with a break in the fifth against Djokovic!

The man is on fire.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

:woop: :woop: Well done Istomin!

Djokovic went from beating Murray a couple of weeks ago to losing to a guy ranked #117 (and coached by his mum). The love and hugs poo poo isn't working.

I guess Sir Murray's reign of terror as #1 will continue past Wimbledon now.

If you didn't watch that then you missed out.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Surprisingly routine hold to at the end there from Istomin, really great performance.

I was already rooting for Murray to win the tournament and if he doesn't take advantage of this now it will be a huge, huge bummer.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Tennis God smiling on this tournament.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can you imagine if you were gambling on this tournament? Just loving lol

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Hortism posted:

Tennis God smiling on this tournament.
Maybe the Tennis God is at odds with Djokovic's cult

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Already the best Grand Slam of the year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I like Djokovic :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RIP dope fraud.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I only root for Djoker against Fed so I feel nothing for this loss. :effort:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Glad djoker is gone. Tennis can be cruel but this time, it is kind.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Fresh Fed will win this and I for one will be satisfied.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xabi posted:

Fresh Fed will win this and I for one will be satisfied.

I want a return to the FedExpress, but we all know he's going to break down either during the game against Berdych or the game after that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Schlesische posted:

I want a return to the FedExpress, but we all know he's going to break down either during the game against Berdych or the game after that.
Birdman is a pigeon and has no chance against Fed.

Murray could take him out though.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Schlesische posted:

Alas, I believe you are right.

However, I choose to believe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

McEnroe just called Djokovic a mini Tiger Woods situation. Who would ever cheat on Jelena?!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Fanatic posted:

Maybe the Tennis God is at odds with Djokovic's cult

Oh poo poo, this is an actual thing. Well, even more reason to dump on Djokovic I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger, please 🙏

• Locked thread