Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I want to believe ol' Fed has still got it in him, but this is probably the worst chance for it given his lack of tennis lately. Hopefully at least someone interesting and new will win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it's not Roger I dont care who wins it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I like Djokovic :smith:

I want to like him but I just can't.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well this is Murray's title to lose now. I don't think Federer is match fit enough to even make it to Murray much less win the tournament. I just hope Nadal doesn't win because he sucks. I missed the last two sets of the Djokovic match since I needed to go to bed and thought he would wrap it up after controlling the third set. I woke up saw the score and was kicking myself for missing it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad djokovic is dead

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Jose posted:

i'm glad djokovic is dead

you're a good man

I have this feeling that somehow, despite his body's rebellion against the National Doping Regime Of Spain, somehow Nadal will take this grand slam. There's no sweet stats behind my hunch, but you just watch. It's gonna happen.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a sweet stat for you: 🖕

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trump taking office "today", Coco's victory all but assured.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL at Federer/Berdych starting at "approximately 5:30am". That poo poo's gonna end after 8am.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Nike maybe regretting terminating Dan Evans sponsorship.

Wins straight sets in the round of 32 while wearing a $20 uniqlo t-shirt

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nike maybe regretting terminating Dan Evans sponsorship.

Wins straight sets in the round of 32 while wearing a $20 uniqlo t-shirt
Still has Nike shoes though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Federer looks really focused and motivated. Only the third round, but I wonder if Djokovic's exit has sparked some title ambitions there.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, looking so much better here. Road to the finals for him is ridiculous though...

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Smacking my lips!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

get hosed berdych

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if fed doesn't win then i hope raonic does

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Berdy is such a waste of talent. Glad I didn't stay up late to watch it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who's the biggest waste of talent, Berdych, or Ferrer.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Finally had the chance to watch Federer-Berdych. No matter what happens next, that's some of the best tennis I've ever seen. I don't want to get my hopes up, but that was just sublime.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Who's the biggest waste of talent, Berdych, or Ferrer.

Ferrer's done well for himself. He's determined and scrappy and has only started to fade with age.

Berdych has the big serve and decent shots but collapses when it matters. When he beat Federer at Wimbledon in 2010 I really thought he would do something after that. Now he's lost nearly 40 consecutive sets against Murray, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nadal/Zverev into the 5th. Tune in!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Nadal/Zverev into the 5th. Tune in!

It was good, shame Zverev sort of faded physically there in the fifth.

I think Raonic is almost a lock for the final from the bottom half and I'm starting to think he might well win it. Although maybe I'm being fooled by the determined/motivated look on his face. Still, he beat both Federer and Wawrinka at a slam in 2016, has the experience of being in a major final and is due a win over Murray considering how tight some of their matches were last year.

Gavrilova v Bacsinszky off to a good start, meanwhile.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every day I light a candle for Roger Federer 🕯

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
So, Murray got his serve broken three times and lost the first set to Zverev the lesser and Wawrinka is down early against Seppi...

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Zverev is looking crazy good against Murray. Just needs to keep holding serve for the win.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Zverev is abusing Murray right now, playing confident tennis, breaking Murray's serve at will and 2-1 up in the match and a break up in the fourth. :munch:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, this is the best Grand Slam.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That sucked. I really wanted Murray to finally win the AO.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gently caress I love tennis.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well this has just turned into the weirdest slam. The two favorites to win the tournament now are probably Fed and Nadal which I would not have guessed at the start. Wawrinka has a great chance as well now that I think about it. I still hope someone manages to beat Nadal but unless Raonic manages to do it I don't know who in his half could with Djokovic being gone.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
And Nishikori comes straight out and breaks Federer twice :suspense:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

And he somehow got them back.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Lol at Murray. I wouldn't mind Wawrinka winning this again, although I'd also love for Fed to somehow defy odds and win it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Good thing Nadal is going to easily win this instead of those unlikable fat cats

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In te name of the Fed'rer, the Fed, and the Holy Rog' 🙏

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

For a whole set, I got to watch Fed Express in full flight. The Australian Open can pack up now.

Having said that, this match is really something else.

Hell, that Game was something else.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 22, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Federer/Nishikori into the 5th.

TUNE

THE gently caress

IN

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hail Roger, full of grace,