Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Somehow I'm not surprised - but still disappointed - to wake up and find out Halep lost.

With Kvitova out I'm rooting for Radwanska to finally win a major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Surprisingly routine hold to at the end there from Istomin, really great performance.

I was already rooting for Murray to win the tournament and if he doesn't take advantage of this now it will be a huge, huge bummer.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Federer looks really focused and motivated. Only the third round, but I wonder if Djokovic's exit has sparked some title ambitions there.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Nadal/Zverev into the 5th. Tune in!

It was good, shame Zverev sort of faded physically there in the fifth.

I think Raonic is almost a lock for the final from the bottom half and I'm starting to think he might well win it. Although maybe I'm being fooled by the determined/motivated look on his face. Still, he beat both Federer and Wawrinka at a slam in 2016, has the experience of being in a major final and is due a win over Murray considering how tight some of their matches were last year.

Gavrilova v Bacsinszky off to a good start, meanwhile.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That sucked. I really wanted Murray to finally win the AO.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Whatever happens Thursday it's legitimately kind of astounding that a 34/5-year-old Federer has made the semis or better in the last five majors that he played.

At this point I'll happy with any combination of players in the final except Federer/Nadal, because just no. No. I'll even take a Wawrinka/Goffin final or something, as one-sided as that would be (I do actually love Goffin's tennis but there's no chance he'd not be overwhelmed by the occasion).

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hortism posted:

Fed v Baby Fed finals please

Yeah. Fed vs Rafa would just be sad to watch. I really have zero belief he could beat Nadal in a major final.

They're still playing but Wawrinka's been crap so far to be honest. Fed's doing enough without peaking. Would be a nice reversal of Wimbledon 2015 if he peaked for the final instead of the semi.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Really unusual for Federer to take a medical timeout.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Dimitrov showing some steel there. He should have won that set like twenty minutes ago but didn't get disheartened.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Outside the first set Nadal's looked so beatable that I'm starting to think Federer might have a chance if Rafa survives this. But I'll be really disappointed for Dimitrov cause I feel like he's been the better player here overall. Hopefully he can pull out the win.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is probably the best match I've seen Dimitrov play.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

He always has a chance, but it's probably not a big one. The court is playing a bit faster than previous years and Nadal hasn't looked unbeatable, so maybe. It's still Federer v Nadal, though, with everything that entails. Probably Rafa in four.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Fed's backhand holding up well so far.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I really hope that's his customary mid-match mental walkabout out of the way now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Very good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is probably going to be one of those nailbiting super tight sets that will turn the match around if Nadal wins it. :ohdear:

edit: Maybe not.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is so brutal. If he was being outclassed completely like at the USO 2015 against Djokovic then fine, but this feels so winnable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Finally!

Now please, please a quick hold.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

What a rally.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Unbelievable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

He was the better player throughout the match. Totally deserved. Nadal had to save so many break points (and did it well!) in the fifth set.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That has to be one of his best wins ever, probably? I mean, at 35, first tournament after being out for six months with injury, against Nadal of all players, in the final of a major? That's just insane. He hadn't beaten him at a major since 2007 ffs.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The sad thing is that "Never write Federer off" was a lesson I learned like five years ago already, and yet I sort of did it anyway. But I much prefer bracing for bad and being positively surprised than hoping for good and getting crushed, it's a useful defense mechanism.

He really put in a great performance. Rafa wasn't even bad or anything, he played well and was typically clutch on many big points. Federer just held his own from the baseline for once.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Andrew Castle is the worst of that lot and it's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Up Circle posted:

this might be the only time i praise espns commentary but starting around 4-3 or 3-3 in the fifth set they just shut the hell up and let the match go from there almost in silence and it was perfect i wish they did that mor eoften

The best thing about watching on Eurosport Player as I do for every slam but Wimbledon is that every court is available without commentary. It's so much better.

It's incredible how many tennis commentators still haven't internalized the first rule of "don't talk during the point".

• Locked thread