Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Appears to be worth the wait. Hopefully I can construct a car worthy of the time put into this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thought I'd have time for this one - sadly I don't. Get to watch from the sidelines.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Really just want to make an 'exhibition' category car. 1950s coupe body (the jag/mg looking thing) but with Group C stats. :toot: Aero be damned ala Morgan not really changing their overall since the 'teens.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Hmm, I will grant you a "waiver", so to speak, from the body age restriction if you're willing!

Some 4 hours later I have a car that doesn't enrage me because it's slow or doesn't fit the formula (from what I can tell).

The Victorian Hooray's Racing team is back in action.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I got a 1:58 but not enough reliability. Group C - Don't forget you can dump your sliders to -15 for body, interior, and safety (min 30) to cut weight.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Triple A posted:

So, you want to build a hot-rodded Miata coupe? :v:

Sorta like the FastMiata Habu but more along the lines of Lister Jag Coupes ... and then nothing at all like either since 6L V12 nearing 700hp.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Wow. I had hoped to do far better at Daytona than I did. Pleasantly surprised by the Sebring results.
Looking forward to the next 3 tracks. Home turf is Road America.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Victorian Hoorays: The party raged well into the early hours of the next morning. When the lads left the track and went down town to Siebkins and The Brown Bear. A few found themselves at a small farmstead outside the town of Chilton where a friendly Scotsman swapped stories about his youth and showed off his small collection of antiques , restorations, and racers will they slowly slipped tumblers of Black Grouse. As the sun broke the mans doting wife came out with cups of coffee and tea and asked how many were ready for breakfast.

When the team, and the employees, sober up they'll realize there is a long road ahead of them and some will wonder and worry about the rivalry between the two teams. There will be whispers that the Scotsman might be asked to turn a wheel in the 37 car in place of one of the other drives who is rumored to be having some marital troubles that may be affecting his temper on track.

Edit:
The boffins in the garage at Victorian Hoorays Racing have produced a 4.7L V6 Twin Turbo motor that is producing 450hp, 462ft/lbs of torque at a fuel sipping 413.8g/kWh. It is pushing a 1330.9 kg test mule around the Automation Test Track at 2:12 with little less than 30 seconds put into fiddling with suspension. (It's only 3 weeks into the season and I managed to make a Group B car... jezuz. We'll be looking at Group B next time.... next time...)

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 26, 2017

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Triple A posted:

Our sponsors don't really care if our car's slow because we have a good attitude and mix the best drinks of the paddock.

It's 5:00 somewhere - even if it's in the cold pit. We'll be down your way soon to raise a glass or two.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

slothrop posted:

Many Group A revisions and still no success... might have to pursue that engine replacement program a little further.

Needs a motor for hire program like F1 or NASCAR.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

GREEN HELL - NEMW, LATOY Shine At "Brutal" Nurburgring
In that class, the remaining VH Racing V12 Special fought off the remaining CMW 976 for the first third of the race, where the CMW's thirst started to catch up to it, spending more and more time in the pits as the VH did not.

Chips - The "journalists" have mentioned this fuel factor at several races - is my tank that much larger due to wheelbase/platform or am I using that little fuel compared to CMW?

Triple A posted:

I'm pretty certain being the onboard camera cars of Eurosport has helped us quite a bit on keeping us this lucky. I ain't complaining because we got a good shot of that first lap mishap and a podium too.

News at 11? :D

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Yeah, my car has an absurdly small fuel tank simply because it is so small. I don't have your number on hand, but I can tell you that my car is something like 65 kilograms.

:monocle: Daaaayam. NotPorsche footprint.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
"If Neeko and the Hamhead could get through turn 1 without taking the top 3rd with them we'd be a bit better off..." Grumbling about some of those damned P1 cars and their drivers.

Every week I say to myself "Submit a revision" every week I actually go to do it I've been sick as crap and leave it alone for fear of screwing it all up.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
"...lead gone by almost one-hundred points gents... what in gods green are we going to do about this."

An actual gauntlet gets tossed on the table.

"Ok then."

"...but that's what happens when your leadership sees smoke on the horizon and doesn't circle the wagons in choppy seas."

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2017

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I couldn't wrap my head around the formula for the longest time... I got it, just making a worthwhile engine was tough as hell. I ended up with a V12 TT that at a 10:1 makes some dang good HP and had reasonable reliability. At 11:1 I could get into crazy HP territory and still decent reliability for a racing seasies with the motor being illegal for Group C in terms of HP and still have around the same fuel consumption if not better than what it has now. If I recall correctly one of the figures I saw was 813HP.

Chips you can throw all the details of my car out there too in one of your excellent write ups if you desire.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

slothrop posted:

despite having used the "Porch" to wrap up Group B I would be happy to see it go away. I had originally planned to run a rear engined ute body because 'Straya C**t but was giving up 2-3 seconds a lap and couldn't justify it

I was going to use my day off to drive out to Mount Panorama and do a 'lap' of the circuit but seeing as I failed to win and the forecast is rubbish I'll give it a miss.

It's cool that you have access to Mt Panorama. I've got hours at Road America (sadly only as a passenger and pit gopher).
This year or next that should change.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

slothrop posted:

Access insofar as I understand some of it is a public road...

I don't have any cool motorsport hookups or anything, I just know people have told me you can drive most of the circuit

Yep - still very cool in my opinion.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks again Chips - as always its a lot of fun. When we say produce a new prototype body/chassis what exactly are we talking about?
An overall chassis (ala gotta build one somehow) or just a design theme on an existing chassis of the era?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Contact Information:
1 Fawn Lane
Chelsea, WI, USA

Victorian Hooray Racing
William Ferdinand Enders, Acting Stiff

Victorian Hooray Racing Announces a Celebration

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Elkhart Lake, WI - Victorian Hooray Racing is pleased to announces a celebration of their fantastic achievements for the SASC-89 Season effective May 29, 1989.

5:00 pm CST: Drinks and hors d'oeuvres prior to a dinner of barbeque, brats, roast corn, and all the fixings.

At the shop off of Badger Road, Elkhart Lake, WI.

"It was a fantastic season and I'm just chuffed about getting to turn a wheel in anger for the local boys. It's a far way from home but it's been years and we are so glad to get the lads back together." Keith Packard, Driver #38 car.

Victorian Hooray Racing is a privateer team hailing from Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin made of a bunch of castoffs from all over the world.
They pride themselves on great driving, good enough fixes, and getting the drat job done at race time.

--------------------------------------------------------- Details about the VH V12 Special --------------------------------------------------

Rushing through it and reasons: So life got busy in a drat hurry the say day MrChips announced the '89 season. I was in, then clearly out (lack of time), and then magically had nothing but free time. So I rushed like mad to get an entry in. I ran my idea for a vehicle past MrChips which got OK'd and my group C entry was born. As his write up says it is a carbon fiber monocoque chassis with an aluminum skin.
It looks like hell up close but it gets the job done when you consider that I put 15 minutes into the chassis design and easily 4 - 6 hours into the motor before I was happy with any results.

My scrutineering report really helped cement some ideas and another 2-4 hours was spent tweaking items until I came to where the engine sits now. A V12 really isn't the way to go as it is absolute hell on points and then getting reliability out of it is another scare. Some how I made it work. All that and fuel efficiency too. Then I forgot to set the drat base suspension... (at this point I figure it falls into the whole idea of the car that time forgot).

I had a great time and look forward to 1990!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So are we all done with wrap ups and we discuss 1990 in the other thread?

• Locked thread