Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Time to see how crap my cars are going to be this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Here's the inspiration to my Group B effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

I do wonder when we are going to get superchargers into the game.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

slothrop posted:

I'm the bit of wood holding the bonnet open

"Only the finest Ostrobothnian birch will do the job."

- anonymous mechanic of LAT OY, at the Alastaro circuit.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm honestly surprised that one of my Group A cars had a faster lap than every Group B car in the field so far, in spite of being 100 KG above the weight limit.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Chiwie posted:

Is there still room to enter? I would love to dust off TMR.

There's plenty of room for more. More the merrier.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
"While our pace at the track hasn't been perfect, at least our homologation specials are way closer to their civilian counterparts than our opposition."

- O. Vanhanen, head of LATOY motorsports division.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 29, 2017

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Don't worry about being the fastest, just focus on experimenting with interesting builds. That way, you'll probably enjoy this more.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

extreme_accordion posted:

Really just want to make an 'exhibition' category car. 1950s coupe body (the jag/mg looking thing) but with Group C stats. :toot: Aero be damned ala Morgan not really changing their overall since the 'teens.

So, you want to build a hot-rodded Miata coupe? :v:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Even if your car's slower, it can still win by needing to stop less / being more reliable than everyone else.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RdQBdO1gU

New dev update, contains some things about their move to the new game engine.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Sorta like the FastMiata Habu but more along the lines of Lister Jag Coupes ... and then nothing at all like either since 6L V12 nearing 700hp.

So, a group C equivalent to my group B effort.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Our sponsors don't really care if our car's slow because we have a good attitude and mix the best drinks of the paddock.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

It's 5:00 somewhere - even if it's in the cold pit. We'll be down your way soon to raise a glass or two.

We got some rather good recipes from an eastern-bloc customer who asked us to develop engines for some rather exotic submersibles. We also have pretty good coffee too in case you need some too.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm pretty certain being the onboard camera cars of Eurosport has helped us quite a bit on keeping us this lucky. I ain't complaining because we got a good shot of that first lap mishap and a podium too.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
We rotate our mechanics a lot from the rally program and man do they know how to make emergency repairs FAST.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I gotta say, I'm surprised by this result since I wasn't expecting their cars to struggle in these conditions this hard. You could see it quite clearly in the Ascari, since a lot of cars struggled to get the power down or to retain speed in there.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

slothrop posted:

Is it sad that the thing I most look forward to is daily race results and MrChips excellent write ups?

It IS the main attraction here. Shame more people didn't enter because I wanted to see the prototypes and C class more populated.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

I couldn't wrap my head around the formula for the longest time... I got it, just making a worthwhile engine was tough as hell. I ended up with a V12 TT that at a 10:1 makes some dang good HP and had reasonable reliability. At 11:1 I could get into crazy HP territory and still decent reliability for a racing seasies with the motor being illegal for Group C in terms of HP and still have around the same fuel consumption if not better than what it has now. If I recall correctly one of the figures I saw was 813HP.

Chips you can throw all the details of my car out there too in one of your excellent write ups if you desire.

Just hand out the stat-sheet for others and say your rationale for the design, preferably in character. Once you've done that, we'll write our own opinions of your vehicle.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm pleased to see that my drivers have kept their cool, but then again they are used to running under unpredictable conditions.

It's cool that you have access to Mt Panorama. I've got hours at Road America (sadly only as a passenger and pit gopher).
This year or next that should change.

Just make sure you have good tires and don't get overconfident.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'll start my presentation of the Group A effort of mine so you can see what the second worst effort in this competition looks and is like.

IMO it is a fairly standard sports sedan with an NA engine making quite a sound and being fairly light without sacrificing much practicality.

As you can see, it's become quite a hit amongst privateers and others who need a reasonably priced touring car.

And here's a big dump of stats and a track time for the inevitable Top Gear retrospective towards LATOY 20 years later.

Feel free to criticize it as you please. Pretend that you are an automotive journalist that has had an opportunity to do a story about it.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Honestly, the plan with my Group A car was to design a practical track car out of a standard production hatchback that could win the Safari Rally just with a different set of rubber and suspension settings.

Though, I think I'll go with a turbocharged set-up and shove some extra holes to the hood on it next year.

• Locked thread