Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BOSTON, MA - In a move that surprised no one in the Dorchester factory that hand-builds the competetion engines for New England Motorworks's race entries, CEO Sean O'Connor announced today that the company would tackle the upcoming prototype season, in addition to both Group B and Group C entries based on the Merrimack and Assabet platforms respectively. O'Connor said the Prototype will be named Neponset, after the river next to the Dorchester Motor Factory. Merrimack chassis used for the upcoming race season will be hand selected from the main production line in the Lowell Car Mill, and Assabet units will be purpose built in the Maynard Performance Center next to street-going models.

[non-RP post below]

I can't seem to find the allowed mod pack, any chance you can link it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, my Prototype engine is sitting right where I wanted it, a good balance of fuel economy and raw power.

thinking V8 or V12 for my Group C and I6, V6 or Turbo 4 for my Group B

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So I also made a Group A car (in addition to the other 3 classes)

Now I need to decide which program to cut :goleft:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

my group A is 6kg over the minimum

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Hrm, do i trash my group C or rebuild it from scratch?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Well, you have a **TON** of production units left to use in both your engine and your chassis, so...

yeah but isn't the maximum QPs per section on both 0?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Nope, the minimum (apart from the excepted sections) is zero! The reason for this is that certain sections can get a little fucky with negative QPs.

well, um

Expect three revisions before 4am EST.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

I totally spaced out about car numbers - you guys get to choose them, so go to this sheet here and make your choices!

aw, wanted to make mine be the area codes in MA that have overlays (617/857, 781/339, 508/774, 978/351)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Got bored and made street versions of my Group A, B and C cars

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I'm probably going to do complete rebuilds of my B and C cars, A's engine is a dumpster fire

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Right, so I'm in the process of rebuilding the Assabet (my group C)

probably going to end up dropping my group B, can't get the weight down, which seems to be the car's major weakness.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Updated all four of my cars, final cut decision will be made after the Daytona test. Safe to say the Prototype is the only one immune to the axe.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Accidents are mostly bad luck, but it is influenced also the weather (a wet track will produce more accidents, and the wrong tire for the conditions will as well), but also a "difficulty" calculation, which is a ratio between sportiness and driveability (specifically, the TrackSportiness and TrackDriveability values in the LUA files). Most of the cars are currently running in the 1.2-1.4 range (lower is better), with a few outliers in either direction.

It was your engine that made me go :stare: - when I first opened up your car in Automation, my reaction to your engine was to let out an incredulous "WHAAAT!", then go about my business making sure it was all above board.

As for engines and bodies, well, you are free to make as many changes before the Week 1 Revision deadline this coming Saturday; after that, the revision system kicks in and revisions will be allowed in accordance with the Challenge Handbook.

So for those of you interested in some guidance in terms of "how much is enough power?", have some stats from the entries as they stand today:

Group A
Average Horsepower: 305.5
Minimum Horsepower: 257
Maximum Horsepower: 382

Group B
Average Horsepower: 434
Minimum Horsepower: 371
Maximum Horsepower: 464

Group C
Average Horsepower: 636.7
Minimum Horsepower: 598
Maximum Horsepower: 677

Prototype
Average Horsepower: 760
Minimum Horsepower: 695
Maximum Horsepower: 825

Here is another interesting stat - there are no V8s in the field whatsoever.

Well I can tell from one of these numbers you haven't loaded in my revisions yet (in the dropbox, can email you as well)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Right, I'm doing two more rebuilds tonight after work. My group C is safe from getting cut (with the limited competition in that class, it will pick up an occasional class podium when the others have issues), however it is going to get some work to try to improve lap times

Similarly, Group B is all but safe, And other than aero/suspension changes I don't see much else to tweak (maybe a new engine)

Group A is a dumpster fire, right at the minimum weight but obviously underpowered, even with the new engine it got on my last rebuild. Gonna try another new engine, but if it doesn't pass muster on the company test track it's not going anywhere near competition.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Torque curves are important, as well as gearing and a number of other factors. An engine that makes all of its power up high, and has has a narrow band between the torque peak and power peak might actually be slower than a car with a wider spread. Also, gearing is important; any time you change the engine you really do need to adjust your gear ratio spacing and top speed.

Also, the shape of your engine power curve is very important too; ideally, you want the engine to rev a ways past peak power, ideally to the highest possible performance index (the number at the top of the stats block in the upper left of the engine design tabs). This way, when the car upshifts it starts much higher in the power curve in the higher gear than if the engine revved to peak power and that's it.

Specifically for your entries slothrop, there are a couple of really simple tweaks that could make your cars quite a bit faster; if you want me to send them along, let me know - I've already had a couple entants ask for some advice, which I am more than happy to provide.

What do you mean, "when they have issues"?!

*looks at the pools of melted turbocharger under my entries*

Oh, yeah...

Part of the reason I don't have turbos in my cars (also I could never get them to have a decent HP/fuel burn ratio)

Also, if you have any advice for my Group C and B that would be great, I've already given up on A (so you can pull it unless you want to waiver it for whatever reason)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

EDIT: Oh wow a rare double post

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just made some changes to my group B. Ran it on Daytona. The standing start time was faster than its fastest lap from the test day :dogbutton:

Meanwhile, I've somehow turned the engine from my Group C entry into a flaming pile of dogshit. Have not yet touched Group A

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

And all four entries in. Will do a post with screengrabs and flavor text this weekend

EDIT:

MrChips posted:

Here is another interesting stat - there are no V8s in the field whatsoever.

well now there is one with the changes I made to my group C

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I fixed the noncompliance issue with my group A, it also gave a small power boost just by changing the exhaust note

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Woops, forgot to compensate for the higher engine temps that came with more power on my group A entry.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

First race where only one of my prototypes was on the podium :(

Group A revision is in the dropbox

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So I have a question: can I enter a chassis into a new class to replace an old chassis (ie, making a new trim of my group B to group C specs to replace my current C chassis)? in this way, as I interpret the rules, it isn't a "new" chassis family, but a new trim of an already homologated chassis family.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Sending in a revised Prototype and Group B with all-new engines.

EDIT:

WARSAW, POLAND - New England Motorworks today opened their first Polish dealership today, offering cars to the former communist country and hinting at a new factory for the European market in the southern city of Nowy Sacz.

The first car sold was a Merrimack GT, the street going version of the company's somewhat successful Group B car. The new owner was fined for speeding an hour later.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 17, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

How else will I defend my last place in every class :v:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

For Group C, will you be doing both of my bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

From the official IRC channel for the game

quote:

<mer-at> do you know when the UE4 beta is getting released?
<Pyrlix> 4-6 weeks ahead mer

• Locked thread