Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Most people reading this will have at least heard of Gresham's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham's_law

TL;DR in the time of METAL IS MONEY, your money varied widely in value. Once you set a price on something, you'd then have to sit down and negotiate the value of the money that you were paying with. Thanks to the debasement of currency being well nigh universal, coins varied hugely in value, apart from their face value. This lead to people holding onto the good coins in case of a rainy day, while providing an incentive to spend the more grotty coins if they could. You can read the wikipeida if you want, but Gresham made his observation after England (having at the time a hilariously terrible currency) minted a bunch of new coins only to see them vanish from circulation. Everybody kept on spending the bad coins while hoarding the good ones.

So, maybe posts are the same way?

When new threads are made constantly, the incentive for effort post declines, to the point that new threads can only be single line joke threads or parodies of threads immediately above them. Any effort greater than that gets lost in the flow of new threads and is quickly buried, reinforcing the tendency of low effort posting.

This thread is for your own personal economic thoughts. NO ARGUING ABOUT ANYTHING DND would take seriously actual economics and political economy and poo poo, feel free to make your own economic thoughts in any context you want. Let's incentivize good posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think thats untrue. I put even more effort into my posts now.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The analogy only holds if I'm hoarding all my good posts OP.

Alternatively:

Fiat posting is the way forward

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yes i will withhold my great effortposts like an embedded gif of giant words

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

its whats for dinner

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Economics is not a science and never will be

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

please rank it wrt scientificness on a continuum w the immortal science of marxism-leninism and the sweet science of boxing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im a guy who has a lot of opinions about posting, but i mostly keep them 2 myself

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Squizzle posted:

please rank it wrt scientificness on a continuum w the immortal science of marxism-leninism and the sweet science of boxing

it rates as the dismal science

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

5'd and goldmine this

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Economics is not a science because I'm looking at this and I'm thinking "does this prove my point, or...?"

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
it's a free country

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
balance in all things~

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Yea but OP, a post is the gift that keeps on giving. A post does you no good withering away inside your brain, it is communication, living words that yearn to be shared with the world. Truly like the fabled magic penny of my kinder years, the more you give away... the more you get

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Nebakenezzer posted:

Most people reading this will have at least heard of Gresham's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham's_law

TL;DR in the time of METAL IS MONEY, your money varied widely in value. Once you set a price on something, you'd then have to sit down and negotiate the value of the money that you were paying with. Thanks to the debasement of currency being well nigh universal, coins varied hugely in value, apart from their face value. This lead to people holding onto the good coins in case of a rainy day, while providing an incentive to spend the more grotty coins if they could. You can read the wikipeida if you want, but Gresham made his observation after England (having at the time a hilariously terrible currency) minted a bunch of new coins only to see them vanish from circulation. Everybody kept on spending the bad coins while hoarding the good ones.

So, maybe posts are the same way?

When new threads are made constantly, the incentive for effort post declines, to the point that new threads can only be single line joke threads or parodies of threads immediately above them. Any effort greater than that gets lost in the flow of new threads and is quickly buried, reinforcing the tendency of low effort posting.

This thread is for your own personal economic thoughts. NO ARGUING ABOUT ANYTHING DND would take seriously actual economics and political economy and poo poo, feel free to make your own economic thoughts in any context you want. Let's incentivize good posting!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

Yea but OP, a post is the gift that keeps on giving. A post does you no good withering away inside your brain, it is communication, living words that yearn to be shared with the world. Truly like the fabled magic penny of my kinder years, the more you give away... the more you get

I was one of like five people posting in the paranormal subforum, [SHOUTOUT: Duckbag, the ghost posters] so perhaps I'm just cynical

On the other hand, I guess this means I have to finish the satirical John Ringo-fiction I've started

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
we are a rainbow subforum at peace with itself and the world...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

rudatron posted:

Well I'm not sure anybody would care about "Gresham's rule, Gresham's guess, Gresham's pretty good hypothesis"

Only if it had a name sharp and edgy, like "Occam's Razor"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

I think thats untrue. I put even more effort into my posts now.

same, but the opposite

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

I'm a tom cruise level proponent of this , gently caress economics, economists, economies,

hmm let's see just spitballin here

Econormies
Ecucknomics
Econopissts

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
this assumes i have good posts im hoarding and bruv lemme tell you i don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008