Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i say swears online posted:

before when I thought of my man dying by drone I figured it'd be president buttigieg getting fed up with him, but this has all sorts of new possibilities

Well, it happened guys. While I have always avoided anything that might give me motion sickness after a particularly enthusiastic cab driver with only one working headlight almost jackknifed us off a dimly lit mountain road in Afghanistan, I attempted a loop-de-loop with my new drone and promptly flew it right into my own head. Really added to my sense of nausea -not to mention the insult to injury!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at @ drone buyin, there’s a reason Ukraine is begging gamers to be operators. i ordered some usb connectable drone controller after i tried a sim (velocidrone) because its clearly owns but you need some real fine throttle control which would be a pain in the rear end on a gamepad

just use the neuralink

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

professor X war nerd would be unstoppable

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lamo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

harepower

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Idk, drone episode was kinda weak. Somehow the idea that Israel wanted the US to fight it's great cleansing war didn't really come up, though it's the obvious motivation and the Confederacy parallel is right there. Correct me if I'm wrong, there really wasn't any prospect of the US doing anything about slavery in the immediate future, right? But the mere presence of abolitionists and their slowly but surely winning over the majority drove them nuts. Similarly here we have the US-Europols having to mouth off about concerns and conditions to placate the fuzzy majority and keep international law together with some duct tape, obviously with no intention of doing anything, but the Israelis are vomiting blood in rage at the most mealy mouthed statement. And obviously a war with Iran would fix that in their mind.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

thats my big takeaway as well

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hadji murad posted:

thats my big takeaway as well

genericnick posted:

Idk, drone episode was kinda weak. Somehow the idea that Israel wanted the US to fight it's great cleansing war didn't really come up, though it's the obvious motivation and the Confederacy parallel is right there. Correct me if I'm wrong, there really wasn't any prospect of the US doing anything about slavery in the immediate future, right? But the mere presence of abolitionists and their slowly but surely winning over the majority drove them nuts. Similarly here we have the US-Europols having to mouth off about concerns and conditions to placate the fuzzy majority and keep international law together with some duct tape, obviously with no intention of doing anything, but the Israelis are vomiting blood in rage at the most mealy mouthed statement. And obviously a war with Iran would fix that in their mind.

The abolitionists weren't willing to exercise the revolutionary violence necessary to overthrow the slaveocracy because a lot of them were obligate pacifists based on their Christian beliefs. What really drove the South insane was John Brown's raid and the sympathy he got from Northerners, which had them convinced that it was only a matter of time before President Lincoln would do unilateral emancipation. Slavery could have lasted decades longer if the South wasn't chomping at the bit for blood.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Apr 21, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I’m so happy they’re doing a historiography follow up for Kursk. it’s exactly what I wanted from this series.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Annibal97783312/status/1782101806056616270
https://twitter.com/Annibal97783312/status/1782115259085467791

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
anniable leaning into it is such a good bit

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

posts you can hear

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Listening to the Kursk episode after trying to get through the Years of Lead ones, and I'm glad Annibale got a decent microphone

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah this was remarkably better. i listen over speakers and not headphones and he's always been a problem. this is the first of his eps that i've wholly followed and been able to enjoy

excited for the eastern front historiography ep

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

any good movies on the battle of kursk?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

From Annibale's twitter

quote:

The Soviet movie I'm referring to in the latest RWN episode on the Battle of Kursk is this: "У твоего порога" (U tvoego poroga / At your doorstep), directed by Vassily S. Ordinsky nel 1962, and scripted by Semyon G. Nagorny (whose real family name was Weisbein). Both Ordinsky and Nagomy had been WWII veterans, and both had been severely wounded at some point in the war. Nagomy had been fighting with the voluntary militia defending Moscow in 1941, which may explain why the scene of the militia attack is so grim and futile. The level of realistic detail is impressive: all the German tanks are real captured tanks used in 1941, including a Czech-made Pz 38(t). It's not only the hardware, though—many small details add to the immersion, including the brief glimpse of a "blocking detachment" doing his filtering job on the retreating column. It's a very understated and grim little film, very much a product of the 1960s (not just the Soviet 60s). It struck me as it seemed like a wartime version of "Night of the Living Dead" at some point but with tanks instead of zombies. "U tvoego poroga" makes an excellent double feature with the later, more spectacular "Hot Snow" (Горячий снег, 1972, based on a famous novel by Yuri Bondarev). Again, it tracks the fate of an anti-tank gun platoon, but this time near Stalingrad, during the "Winter Storm" German counterattack to break the Soviet "ring" around Von Paulus forces. It's way more cinematic and epic than "At Your Doorstep", with some impressive fighting scenes and drama, but also less unrelentingly bleak and realistic. "At Your Doorstep" is not subtitled (alas), but the YouTube automatic translation more or less allows you to follow what's happening if you can't understand Russian

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

badass

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qOu4a5ySc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtkRkPTfy_0

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gently caress yeah dude

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this mf

the correct texicon is "done froze"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the freeze was not very fun

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i stayed warm but i lived at work and did customer service 24/7 for a solid week

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think the premise behind the "Western Alliance" is that California and Texas are controlled by the oil companies, so Big Oil has to play the adults in the room and summarily execute God Emperor Trump.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my power stayed on but we kept it at like 55 degrees and just bundled up. my son was only 10 months old at the time so it was really stressful wondering if the power would go out. we also took in a refugee who did lose power, they ended up staying with us for like a week because they had a burst pipe that needed to be repaired. at least nothing got moldy in the frozen weather lol.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1783820752602452342
:holymoley:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

the war nerd to strangulation victim pipeline

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the red-brown asphyxiation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
has RWN ever mentioned author George R. Stewart? He's the guy who wrote the sci-fi novel Earth Abides in 1949 and also a microhistory of the final day at Gettysburg called Pickett's Charge