Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Gettleman ep is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

tatankatonk posted:

the ryan grim interview is amazing for reminding us/the hosts that they actually interviewed the nyt's jeffrey "Hamas committed mass rapes on 10/7" gettleman for episode 100 lmfao

time makes fools of us all

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Confusedslight posted:

I want to listen to episode 100 but at the same time I don't think I could handle it.

you're not missing anything. metalessons were learned

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I apparently listened to #100 at some point and don't remember a thing about it :shrug:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I remember him talking about the importance of ~strong institutions~ and a lot of what mark later described as ‘davos talk’. just the standard neolib nonsense.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Clark Nova posted:

I apparently listened to #100 at some point and don't remember a thing about it :shrug:

I remember every podcast I listen to

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ryan Grim calling back to the Iliad, reminds me of the very early days of RWN when John was finishing it up

e: Thread title could use an update but I don't have any suggestions

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Love the fact that they covered Heartbreak Ridge on the pod, which is still a hilarious and completely insane movie. I'm surprised that Will has such a bad gaydar though, because nobody brings up how excessively homoerotic the movie is. For every misogynistic line drop of the F-Slur, Eastwood's character is doing sus poo poo like making all the guys stand around shirtless to "discipline" them, or heavily implying that he's going to rape Mario van Peebles. Throughout the entire movie Gunny doesn't show any genuine affection to a woman except the busted up old granny who works his favorite dive bar. He and his ex get back together at the end of the movie because that's what's supposed to happen, and they never even hold hands or kiss.

I streamed it for my reading group and we had a blast making fun of it. When I looked more into the production of the movie it gets even crazier. They shot on-location at the Camp Pendleton boot camp, and the production overlaps with an ongoing class action lawsuit over groundwater contamination which was well underway by the time they started shooting.

quote:

https://www.robertkinglawfirm.com/personal-injury/military-base-water-contamination-lawsuit/camp-pendleton/
Camp Pendleton’s contamination concerns date back to the 1980s when several spills contaminated soil and drinking water at and around the base. In 1995, the soil tested positive for TCE and TPH (total petroleum hydrocarbons), sparking the removal of 14,000 cubic yards of affected soil. In January 1997, 25,000 cubic yards of soil were then removed due to contamination with pesticides, metals, and PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons). Camp Pendleton was declared a Superfund site and placed on the National Priorities List (NPL) for prioritized Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) investigation.

Issues continued, and in February 2007, officials decided to excavate waste-filled drums contributing to soil and groundwater contamination. They also installed four monitoring wells to identify when groundwater remediation was needed. However, throughout 2007 and 2008, testing continued to show potentially harmful amounts of contamination with Camp Pendleton’s groundwater. Found contaminants included perchlorate, DCE (dichloroethylene), TCE, and others. The cancer-causing chemicals were in water that Marines and their families drank and used to cook, clean, and bathe.

Reports continued to emerge about contaminated drinking water and its effect on military families. In 2022, the Marine Corps finished construction of a landfill cap that closed off a 28-acre class III landfill at Camp Pendleton that had operated from 1946 to 1970 to help reduce spreading contamination. However, “forever chemicals” became a huge concern as water continued to test positive for PFAS from 2019-2023. PFAS can cause kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer, bladder cancer, thyroid issues, birth defects, and much more. In February 2022, eight wells were shut down at Camp Pendleton for exceeding PFAS water limits and the Marine Corps sought new filtration facilities to ensure military members had safe drinking water.

Anybody on the Heartbreak Ridge cast or crew who drank the water at Camp Pendleton is at high risk of cancer now.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

listen up, long lived races: my wife left me!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1760481594496667954?s=20

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i’m reading Erdogan Pizza and John mentions a leading American journalist who said that the Tutsis need to get over it on an episode. Who was that rear end in a top hat?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

hadji murad posted:

i’m reading Erdogan Pizza and John mentions a leading American journalist who said that the Tutsis need to get over it on an episode. Who was that rear end in a top hat?

:10bux: on it being this since it was on africa war reporting

tatankatonk posted:

the ryan grim interview is amazing for reminding us/the hosts that they actually interviewed the nyt's jeffrey "Hamas committed mass rapes on 10/7" gettleman for episode 100 lmfao

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I’m glad they brought up the navalny hate crime story in that. it’s probably the most important thing to know about his past to establish that he was a “no really a massive loving racist nazi”. even his dumb commercial doesn’t really compare to actually mutilating a man while screaming racial slurs.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Grimson posted:

:10bux: on it being this since it was on africa war reporting

this makes perfect sense

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I’m glad they brought up the navalny hate crime story in that. it’s probably the most important thing to know about his past to establish that he was a “no really a massive loving racist nazi”. even his dumb commercial doesn’t really compare to actually mutilating a man while screaming racial slurs.

the photo on the patreon post of the shot heckler was more graphic than mark made it sounds, the guy could have lost his eye

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1762117771402313751?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao Mark's segue: "speaking of death..."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

because something reminded me of james frey, i am reading for the billionth time john dolan's classic review of a million little pieces

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sometimes i think randomly about bit with the beaver

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Sometimes i think randomly about bit with the beaver

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Dolan was on the deprogram podcast yesterday too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh, sick.

that's gotta be the weirdest vibe disconnect ever.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

err posted:

half way through and it’s a good chat

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

err posted:

I saw they had Dolan and TrueAnon recently (or just Brace, I'm not sure) so I'm assuming it's a good podcast?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

snoremac posted:

I saw they had Dolan and TrueAnon recently (or just Brace, I'm not sure) so I'm assuming it's a good podcast?

The deprogram boys are rather shitpost-y, but usually on the correct side of any issue.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

snoremac posted:

they're on the younger side, but it's three communists from Iraq, the Balkans and Texas so it's pretty interesting to get that perspective.

they've had on the chapos, blowback guys, Ben Norton, etc.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Sounds fun, will check it out

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

started to read dolan's novel

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

I enjoyed it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

yeah it's funny

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

finished it. it's no confederacy of dunces but still pretty well written. a couple of strange anti-stalin diatribes.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol at them being terrified of black holes/death. Christianity did a number on their brains.

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at them being terrified of black holes/death. Christianity did a number on their brains.

i have some bad news for you on ames' religious background...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
abrahamic religion, w/e its all the same crap

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

itt thirty and forty something’s confident that they’ll never fear death.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

itt thirty and forty something’s yearning for the void

ftfy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

joke's on you, i'm in constant fear of death

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oblivion? Big deal. Like I haven't been there already.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

itt thirty and forty something’s confident that they’ll never fear death.

fearing death is one thing, ruminating on the void/where soul go is another and sorta funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
souls go up or souls go down. its very simple.