Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If none of you are going to do it, I guess I can pick up the slack.

Dear Mark and John,

His name is Claw because when Capcom broug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lmao

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Yeah turns out having the best trained and equipped army in the middle east means jack poo poo when you are fighting anything other than civilian hospitals and extremely lovely arab professional armies.

love all the racist 'arabs can't war' takes that just ignore any army not designed mainly to ensure it can't threaten its own government

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress off

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i wasn't disagreeing with you mate that's why those professional armies are poo poo & hezbollah isn't

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

prefect posted:

Listening to the "American Nazis" episode now, and I love it when Dolan gets into the Civil War history. It's so clear he really cares about it, and knows it deeply.

One of my favorite columns of his is his one on Adam Gurowski. It actually made me get the diary and read it which I highly recommend.

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/adam-gurowski/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hedenius posted:

One of my favorite columns of his is his one on Adam Gurowski. It actually made me get the diary and read it which I highly recommend.

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/adam-gurowski/

This is good; thanks. :tipshat:

"You’ll notice that Gurowski is so angry here at the dotard Scott that he uses the worst insult any European military commentator can think of: He compares Scott to the Austrians."

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

prefect posted:

This is good; thanks. :tipshat:

"You’ll notice that Gurowski is so angry here at the dotard Scott that he uses the worst insult any European military commentator can think of: He compares Scott to the Austrians."

Related to this I think the best insult ever is from Friedrich Reck-Malleczewen's Diary of a Man in Despair.

quote:

I saw him once more at close range. This was in the autumn of 1932, as the fever began to take hold of Germany. Friedrich von Mücke and I were dining at the Osteria Bavaria in Munich when Hitler entered and crossed the restaurant to the table next to ours—alone, by the way, and without his usual bodyguard. There he sat, now a power among the Germans … say, felt himself observed by us, and critically examined, and as a result became uncomfortable. His face took on the sullen expression of a minor bureaucrat who has ventured into a place which he would not generally enter, but now that he is there demands for his good money ‘that he be served and treated every bit as well as the fine gentleman over there …’

There he sat, a raw-vegetable Genghis Khan, a teetotalling Alexander, a womanless Napoleon, an effigy of Bismarck who would certainly have had to go to bed for four weeks if he had ever tried to eat just one of Bismarck’s breakfasts.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

çfao

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So I am really digging Radio War Nerd and especially all of the writing that Ames and Becher/Dolan do. like 'We the Spiteful', 'The Diary of Adam Gurowski', and 'The Confederate Generals who should've been hanged' have been right up my alley. Is there kind of a central 'best hits' that I can go through besides trolling through the websites they've written for? Or you can just link the good stuff.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They put the old Exiled articles behind a paywall a long time ago, but I think all the stuff they wrote after Ames was forced to flee Russia and was living in America are still online for free at Exiledonline. The NSFWCorp days were some of their best stuff, but I dunno if that's all behind a paywall. Dolan wrote an amazing article about how he and his wife almost died in Canada because they were constantly refused work. All the Pando Daily stuff is behind a paywall unless it's unlocked.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Some War Nerd/Dolan articles I like:

Tom Clancy is Not One of Us
Reagan's Cheshire Snarl
A Million Pieces of poo poo (Dolan noticed James Frey's biography was fraudulent before anyone else but didn't get credit for it)
Jonathan Franzen: "Will Rim Bobos for Book-of-the-Month Fame"
Thomas Friedman: The Empire's Useful Idiot
Lord Byron: The Exile's Patron Saint

Specifically about wars:
Land of the Flies
Why Sherman was right to burn Atlanta
Congo: a Tutsi empire interrupted once again by do-gooders

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

As a Franzen/Friedman hater all of this is right up my alley. Thanks

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Dolan's mauling of James Frey is just a thing of beauty. That fact that this weepy fraud still makes money in publishing while Dolan is so unknown is nothing short of criminal.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

quote:

Leigh actually thinks he’s fixing blame—blame!—for Sherman’s perfectly sensible, conventional action, the burning of a major rail center in his rear before setting out unsupported across enemy territory.

What next? Will the NYT dig up some crusty tenth-generation Tory sulking in the suburbs of Toronto to ask, “Who Killed All Those Innocent Redcoats on Bunker Hill?” Or a sob story by the Imperial Japanese Navy’s last surviving sailor asking, “Who Sank All Our Carriers?”

lol

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
This bit from his review of A Million Little Pieces will always be on of my favorites.

quote:

But then Frey is no expert observer, as he proves in one of the funniest scenes from his nature walks, when he meets a “fat otter”: “There is an island among the rot, a large, round Pile with monstrous protrusions like the arms of a Witch. There is chatter beneath the pile and a fat brown otter with a flat, armored tail climbs atop and he stares at me.”

Now, can anyone tell me what a “fat otter with a flat, armored tail” actually is? That’s right: a beaver! Now, can anyone guess what the “large, round Pile with monstrous protrusions like the arms of a Witch” would be? Yes indeed: a beaver dam!

Any kindergartner would know that, and anyone with a flicker of life would be delighted to see a beaver and its home. But for Frey, a very stupid and very vain man, the “fat otter” is nothing but another mirror in which to adore his Terrible Fate. He engages the beaver in the most dismal of adolescent rhetorical interrogations:

“Hey, Fat Otter.

He stares at me.

You want what I got?

He stares at me.

I’ll give you everything.

Stares at me….”

And so on, for another half-page. You want to slap the sulking spoiled brat. The Fat Otter should’ve slapped him with its “flat, armored tail” and then chewed his leg off and used it to fortify its “Pile with monstrous protrusions.”

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
And they just released a free version of their show on American Nazis from Oregon to Charlottesville, with Jason Wilson. It's good.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-14111688

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah the Frey takedown was amazing. Radio War Nerd is probably going to be my first patreon subscription

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Looks like there's been an unfortunate intersection in the lefty podcast/media world.

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/903246327550758912

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/why-we-dont-like-hysterical-journalists

Jason Wilson wanted clarification on why Amber A'Lee Frost described his reporting of C'ville as "sensational," and Current Affairs only responded after several other investigative journalists pressured them to do so. So instead of letting Amber respond, they took an editorial line on it and called Jason Wilson a hysterical journalist.

Absolutely everything in the article is wrong, even down to the pedantic points they think they're making.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
What a stupid, petty squabble.

Leftist circular firing squad etc

It's too bad because Wilson leaves the interview on an up note, saying he sees various left groups working together and organizing for once, and that they dwarf Nazi protestors in terms of numbers.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dreylad posted:

What a stupid, petty squabble.

Leftist circular firing squad etc

It's too bad because Wilson leaves the interview on an up note, saying he sees various left groups working together and organizing for once, and that they dwarf Nazi protestors in terms of numbers.

I was about to post just that. For such a grim topic (fascism and violence at home), they were far less pessimistic and cynical than usual, because for once it felt like people were on the ball.

But I guess the 'common sense' part of the left just has to poo poo on anything smelling of popular engagement or action.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Someone might have said this earlier, but you can really sense Dolan's indignation when he writes about the South in the Civil War. It's been a while since the last newsletter - a great read.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

new episode on the Soviet-Afghan war is out.

also there's a new rss feed that was sent out in the last newsletter, so if you've been subscribed for at least the past few days check your inbox.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Last episode was great.

They're doing a pre-taped call in show which should be something

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mark "Slab" Ames: Welcome to the WAR LINE! First caller, traffic and weather coming in at the top of the hour, we got Matt on the line. Maniac MATT GIVE US YOUR WAR NERD AWHOOGA!

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/908309855122763776

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/908518529338609667

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This new episode about the Rohingya is really interesting. The reporter they talk to kind of pokes John as being "orientalist" about halfway through (at first, I thought it might be a joke, but I think she was actually a bit annoyed at him), and there's an interesting discussion about who the media is biased towards and why.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/910666950052806656

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:pwn:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

these people are loving maniacs

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

"Mediocre lunacy" is a great way to describe late liberalism

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

"Mediocre lunacy" is a great way to describe late liberalism

My exact thought when I read it. It's not even a wild, interesting lunacy. It's about re-fighting every war that has already been won to stomp harder on the losers and throw more confetti onto themselves.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sephyr posted:

My exact thought when I read it. It's not even a wild, interesting lunacy. It's about re-fighting every war that has already been won to stomp harder on the losers and throw more confetti onto themselves.

To me it seems to come from a fundamental disbelief that their worldview could be rejected when they are obviously the good guys "on the right side of history". They're in total denial that something as simple as some fake internet memes and an idiot clown like Trump could set-off the total existential collapse of the "dominant" political philosophy. After all, the status quo has benefited them immensely, how could anyone hate it?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Patreon alerts are being notified now :nsa:

Radio War Nerd EP #102 — Russian Civil War + Remembering Stanislav Petrov
Guest: Alex Zaitchik, journalist & author

In this two-part episode, first the War Nerd talks to journalist and former eXile colleague Alex Zaichik—just back from the oil-poisoned jungles of Peru—about his evening with Stanislav Petrov, "the man who saved the world" from nuclear holocaust in 1983, who just died this week.

At 40:08 we discuss The Committee to Investigate Russia, the bazillionth liberal-neocon-CIA project, this one headed up by Rob "Meathead" Reiner, to resurrect Cold War fever.

At 1:04:26 we begin our segment on the Russian Civil War, a huge topic about a very alien (and much romanticized) world. The War Nerd gives both an overview of the various phases of battle & some of the major figures. Later we dive deeper into some of the incredible episodes of the war, such as the peasant rebellions and the extraordinary anarchist partisan leader Nestor Makhno. The War Nerd ends with a list of his favorite Russian Civil War novels and writers...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/912375616216928256

The new episode is an extremely good overview of the Russian civil war, btw. If you're on the fence about being a sponsor, this episode is pretty drat great.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's worth it for their All in the Family discusses Russia bit.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't finish the rest of the ep yet, but I teared up when Alex Zaichik described how the indigenous people in Peru poisoned by oil companies were talking about the resistance at Standing Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Didn't finish the rest of the ep yet, but I teared up when Alex Zaichik described how the indigenous people in Peru poisoned by oil companies were talking about the resistance at Standing Rock

Petrov's vacuum cleaner not working is proof of a spiteful god.