Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Comrade Merf posted:

He may have some good insight into other subjects or matured and grown his knowledge of nerdy war stuff since he wrote his carrier stuff so I dunno.

I used to like the War Nerd when I read it a few years ago (think it went behind a paywall or something?) however much of his work suffers from the same kind of problems, or as Rudatron put it he often presents "untested assumptions" as if they were fact. His articles are entertaining in the same way a buzzfeed 10 most bloodiest historical battles piece is, and can be good for introducing yourself to a topic. However whenever he covers subjects which I have read about myself I often notice a marked sloppiness in his choice of evidence, with everything that supports his position given credit and anything that runs counter to his narrative downplayed or simply omitted. He likes to present simple stories, which again are entertaining but can sometimes fall apart under close scrutiny.

I don't have any examples as the exile is now under a paywall but I vaguely remember taking issue with several of his points on the War of the Triple Alliance with which I am familiar, among other examples. Saying American carriers are floating deathtraps is provocative and makes you think, but it is hard to say how much truth is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU