Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Happy Underpants posted:

This style of polished baby tweets happened before but I can't remember the specifics.

Bana in Syria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

THS posted:

you're probably still thinking of bana but people using their kids for obviously made up political analysis is pretty widespread among a certain type of liberal opinion maker and gross

Yeah, it's this. The Bellingdog tweet is explicitly making fun of Bana, but during the election there were untold number of idiot liberal pundits posting tweets about obviously preciously fake things their dumb kids said about Trump.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I think Ames was still pretty right wing in the 80s when he was at Berkeley? But in a punk rock sort of way. I think Dolan's talked about growing up angry and aimless and trying to fit in anywhere he could, so due to his heritage he drifted into Irish Republicanism but wasn't actively involved in anything violent, being a coward (in his own words, I am not saying that pejoratively).

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
There's just so much lovely, angry conservatism in the Bay Area, especially back then. I can look back now and see it in my family and myself when I was growing up there in the 80s; it's hard to describe, it's just a way of life that is so vacuous and soulless it's like having a black pit inside you that is completely empty.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I'm a little behind, but the Marcie Smith interview about Gene Sharp was amazing. I knew so little about the history of color revolutions and that interview really clarified everything.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I think he also did the Joan of Arc ones as well, although maybe that was part of the Hundred Years' War. If it wasn't him, then it was someone else whose pronunciation of "Jeanne d'Arc" was fabulous.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Quote this everytime you smash that BUY button, hell yeah

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Did Mark and Matt have a falling out over times up-esque allegations about their years in Russia, or did I hallucinate that?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a War Nerd ep on the bronze age collapse?

I don't believe RWN has one, but I can highly recommend the Ancient World podcast as it goes into great detail about all of the kingdoms that existed during that time period.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's just another rehash of people reading Gary Brecher stuff and taking absolutely everything at face value.

It's this. Twitter guy would read A Modest Proposal and think it sounds perfectly reasonable.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Someone add 'Guest is Annibale' to the bottom of that with the last panel of the expanding mind meme

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I recommend all of the Aamer episodes, I like his topics and delivery better than Annibale or Carl :shrug:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

V. Illych L. posted:

aamer is more americanised in his presentation than either of the other two, but imo if you don't find annibale's insanely knowledgable rambling in a thick italian accent charming you have no soul

JOHN DARK

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Tankbuster posted:

The gas update episode was really illuminating and interesting.

For sure, I'm don't know how anyone can have even a slightly informed opinion on all this poo poo without a basic understanding of the pipeline situation.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think it comes from just having some drat empathy and trying to look at things from the other side. it probably helped that ames lived in russia in the 90s when things were at their absolute nadir and being surrounded by bone-crushing poverty that your typical journalist in the U.S. has never experienced which is why they never "get it"

I think what makes Mark's perspective unique is that he absolutely could have a vendetta against Putin, considering what went down when he had to flee Russia. But he's actually really impartial and this gives him his legitimacy when compared to every other Western journalist sniveling about Putin the Machiavellian puppet master.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Centrist Committee posted:

which is funny because his writing in the mid 2000s was really key to moving me from right wing crank to dumbass liberal

:same:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Just listened, they were more sympathetic to Matt than I would have expected. It was also interesting to hear Yasha talk about getting out of Russia after the mobilization announcement, although it seems sort of stupid to travel there in the first place right now.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
John is a font of humility and self introspection and I think this innoculates him from becoming a crank.

Mark, on the other hand, I thought he was going to end up with holes in his brain and spouting nonsense, instead Taibbi went down that path

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

kneelbeforezog posted:

What are some of yalls favorite episodes so I can make a curated list? \

I like all of the Aamer ones.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I also have a hard time understanding Annibale. But I do understand that this deficiency is with myself, not him.

JOHN DARK

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Ahhhh it all makes sense now, he even specified "Gerry with a G"

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Smh too many Annibale stans in here, Amma-heads loving sound off!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

nikosoft posted:

Smh too many Annibale stans in here, Ammar-heads loving sound off!!