Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paladin posted:

I liked that episode on the Iran-Iraq war. Really sets up how the Iran invasion that both US political parties and the defense industry have been twitching in anticipation to start is going to be kind of a poo poo show.

i liked that episode and its depressing that we are probaly going to end up learning the same lesson as iraq the hard way.

i like the podcast, but he seems a little, pro assad/russa. I understand his points that USA doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing in syria and everyone is awful but idk.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I want to like them and there are some really good episodes(iran iraq war, ww1 Italian front) but holy poo poo, they bend over backwards to suck putin and assads dicks. like i get the view of there are no good/sane factions in syria, but everything is apperently a western/american lie and it comes off as very tankie/ameriKKKa at times. this is coming from someone who likes chapo and other left leaning poo poo and is mixed about the russia conspiracy poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nothus posted:

They're definitely not pro-Putin- the Russian government shut down their paper and basically ran Ames out of the country. But they do have a clear affinity for the Russian people (Mark's wife is Russian), and they don't buy into the Western Russia hysteria. Especially since most of it is really hamfisted and nakedly biased.

As for Assad, again, they mostly point out the other side of the story, especially since Western media is constantly painting Assad as some kind of Hitler when the West's proxies are Sunni Wahabists that are just as bad. Especially with many of the Western sources being directly funded by the Saudis and Gulf States. If they are fanboys for any side in Syria, it's the Kurds. But, again, they're up front about their biases (Dolan taught in Iraqi Kurdistan for a while during the American occupation).

ok, i need to listen to more then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah Bashar studied dentistry or somethong incredibly inoffensive in the US as well?

E: Ophtamology in Britain. Close nough!

yeah like he was a child Ophthalmologist or something and only went back because family duty or some horseshit. now he has death camps and mass graves next to his palace. so i hope he someday does get caught and watches his family die before dying horribly himself and tossed into a pit somewhere. it probably won't happen(he will either rule forever or will flee to iran or russia and live out his long life in exile. because the world sucks but deserves it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Dolan has always had this weird comic vibe. The first piece by him I read was about the Shia, in which he was describing how grim and determined they tend to be in their conflicts, given their founding myth. It went something like "If a shia was coaching your kid's little league soccer team, every practice would start with a screening of the team's most humiliating defeat. 'Here's Timmy missing the penalty shot by a country mile! '". For some reason I couldn't stop laughing after reading that, and I was interning at a radio station so it drew some looks.

thats honestly not wrong. Shia have a have a more guilt ridden/pessimistic view of theology and world outlook Catholics. Shia history is fascinating and depressing as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

I love how the recommended buys on Dolan's Illiad translation include a Yakuza game and the Akira manga. The Anime Left lives on.

so is his illiad just a retelling of the story without the poetry or is it some in depth exploration of it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Considering the circumstances beng pro-regime is understandable. He seemed pretty fair to YPG in the interview so :shrug:.

It was a drat good episode.

ehh, i can understand his reasoning(most of the rebel groups now are just AQ/ISIS/turkesh puppets for various sects of wahabism and any other better groups are fighting isis or making new kurdistan) but i hate Assad with a loving passion and darkly hope him and his relatives get captured by ISIS somehow and i got tired of them talking about the lion of syria and how magical he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NewForumSoftware posted:

perhaps it is you with the bias good sir

he has murdered thousands of his own people and has loving mass graves and camps right next to his palace. gently caress him

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We're well aware of your weird lust for child murder.

they will grow up to be as bad as he is, if not worse.