Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I already hated Nixon and Reagan. That interview made me hate them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
That same page you quote also contains this passage:

quote:

Children are my worst nightmare-worse than worst. I'd rather wind up in a Hutu death camp than father a child. My aversion to children is religious: I hate the way they look, the gurgling sounds they make, and the time and money that they require, time and money that I don't have.

Which is strange coming from a guy who is happily married with a family now. Ames says the book was an exaggeration and and written to be a gonzo HST-style ripoff. You can either take him at his word, or not. In either case, I don't see how it affects his subsequent reporting and analysis.

One thing I've always wondered about is the nature of his falling-out with Taibbi. For years, he wouldn't mention him when he was talking about his Exile days in Moscow which was a little weird. Only in the last few months has Taibbi's name come up in his stories.

Nothus has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Apr 2, 2017

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

tekz posted:

just listened to the war nerd interview with the guy who broke iran-contra and its infuriating. the extent to which the nyt, wapo etc went to destroy its own and other reporters careers and have effectively become propaganda outlets for the us government is more hosed up than i even imagined

It seems like an entire generation of journalists internalized the lesson that the media "lost Vietnam" and was a direct cause of the social chaos of the 60's-70's and decided, en mass, to never again criticize or dig too deeply into government affairs.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at Dolan taking a date to Das Boot. I did that once too. :smith:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The episode on the Russian-Georgian war is one of their better ones, especially since Mark witnessed it first-hand.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They're definitely not pro-Putin- the Russian government shut down their paper and basically ran Ames out of the country. But they do have a clear affinity for the Russian people (Mark's wife is Russian), and they don't buy into the Western Russia hysteria. Especially since most of it is really hamfisted and nakedly biased.

As for Assad, again, they mostly point out the other side of the story, especially since Western media is constantly painting Assad as some kind of Hitler when the West's proxies are Sunni Wahabists that are just as bad. Especially with many of the Western sources being directly funded by the Saudis and Gulf States. If they are fanboys for any side in Syria, it's the Kurds. But, again, they're up front about their biases (Dolan taught in Iraqi Kurdistan for a while during the American occupation).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok, i need to listen to more then.

It's good to be aware of the biases of your news sources. I don't hold up the RWN guys as sole arbiters of The Truth, but I do appreciate that their perspective helps balance out what I get as mainstream news as an English-speaking American.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Mark and John's saltiness at Vice's "punk-rock nihilism" was more than a little amusing given that it was basically The Exile's genre. I know it's partly the fact that Vice's founders are massive greedy shitbags and probably more than a little jealousy that they managed to monetize it so effectively. I don't remember if they mention it, but the article they rip on is actually from 2012 (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/the-vice-guide-to-syria-0000456-v19n11), which was back when western media sources were pushing Obama hard to escalate and pre-dates the involvement of the Russians and the successes of the YPG/J. Since then, they've published a number of articles on the Kurds specifically, even pumping up the exploits of western volunteers, so some of Dolan's critiques aren't really fair. That said, gently caress Vice.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I know they're a bit rambling, but I'm really liking the interviews with Carl Zha. Can't wait for them to do one about the attempted Tang conquest of Korea.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Mark needs to go on Chapo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol I don't know if it was nerves or drugs but this week's episode wasn't very good.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I've always wondered why the North Koreans refer to themselves and their language as "Choson" while the South Koreans talk about "Han". It's a nuance totally lost on most Westerners. What a cool episode.

Edit. I'm looking forward to some background on the Qatar shitstorm, because Western news coverage has been poo poo at explaining what the gently caress is going on.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't really think so. He said they're basically going to be unable to govern and don't even have the support of most Kurds, let alone Arabs. He wasn't overtly hostile though.

I think it's still an open question whether ethnic Arab areas would accept a Kurdish-lead (or at least Kurdish-backed) local government. Magnier is obviously more pessimistic than Western leftist opinions (including Dolan and Ames).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Because Democratic Confederalism revolves around local rule it's a lot easier for the YPD to de-essentialize the Kurdish character of Rojava as a political entity. Although, a lot of people aren't going to see it that way.

True. I think the Kurds have been extremely reasonable in re-branding as the SDF and trying to play up their inclusiveness of Arab groups. I hope it works, becuase it's basically the best bet for a non-lovely outcome for whatever state emerges out of the non-Alawite parts of Syria.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
War Nerd, with emphasis on the Nerd.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sephyr posted:

My exact thought when I read it. It's not even a wild, interesting lunacy. It's about re-fighting every war that has already been won to stomp harder on the losers and throw more confetti onto themselves.

To me it seems to come from a fundamental disbelief that their worldview could be rejected when they are obviously the good guys "on the right side of history". They're in total denial that something as simple as some fake internet memes and an idiot clown like Trump could set-off the total existential collapse of the "dominant" political philosophy. After all, the status quo has benefited them immensely, how could anyone hate it?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's worth it for their All in the Family discusses Russia bit.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Petrov's vacuum cleaner not working is proof of a spiteful god.

A man whose life was beset by the failings of technology.

Also, agreed, I wanted to hear more and Alex's trip to Peru.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Johnny Chen was their "Nightclub Reviewer" who bragged about raping young women in the process of his escapades, and the central conceit of the character - the point of the joke - is that he was working in Russia for USAID.

This is the nuance that almost everyone who reads it isn't going to get. Ames and the Exile crew have some very hot takes about liberal establishment sacred cows like USAID, Amnesty, and the ACLU.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/965651966134312962

Yasha's excellent interview is now free.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, I found it annoying because I don't know all that much about the topic. The individual vignettes are interesting, but the conversation was such a loving mess that I had to read the wikipedia entry on the war afterwards to make sense of it. :v:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

The Turkish operation, which relies on a ground force of relatively moderate Arab rebels...

Jesus lol. Except it doesn't because Turkey has had to send in special forces units from their gendarmerie because their jihadi proxies clearly got their asses kicked.

Wow, that article is infuriating.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It was an interview with someone who had combat experience in Syria not a loving struggle session. If you watch any of the other docs about YPG volunteers, it's clear they run the gamut from revolutionary communists to white european cryptofascists a little too interested in keeping the locals from immigrating.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

coathat posted:

The latest episode is good especially Jeong giving a real nice diplomatic answer about her feelings on The Kite Runner at first.

I liked John being embarrassed about hating it. Of course he hated it.

I wished I lived anywhere near NYC so I could go to their book event at the KGB bar.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thug Lessons posted:

I kinda worry about John because it seems like he's sick all the time.

He's seemed in much better health lately. As a native Californian, winter is rough on him.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Isn't the rss link in the rewards email or whatever patreon sends out when you subscribe?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Brown Paper Bag posted:

As an Australian I am severely tempted to subscribe anyway just to listen to this

Trigger warning: the Australian government aren't the good guys in this story, though John does take pains to separate them from Australian people.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1001859673069379584?s=19

We're definitely going to hear about it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol I bet John was pedantically gritting his teeth through Tim Shorrock's clumsy comparison of the Korean peace process to Northern Ireland.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Darkman Fanpage posted:

John Dolan saying hentai.

I blame Carl Zha for that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
So first 5 hours of War Nerd drops into my feed and then within the first 15 minutes John is slamming middle-brow NYC subway poetry. :unsmigghh:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If you listen closely to the latest Years of Lead episode, John fucks up and calls Annibale by his real first name.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Also note the proliferation of "North Korea secretly continuing nuclear work" stories in the mainstream press that have a single anonymous source.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's gone. What did it say?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

prefect posted:

Mark does not like him because he gets funded by NATO, right?

He's funded by the Atlantic Council, so basically Western intelligence and Gulf state allies, and got his start signal boosting questionable pro-FSA and anti-Russian propaganda. He's a CIA psyop in mark's opinion.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
A loving clip show, el oh el :whitewater:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Though I will say that I forgot how Mark was awkward af when he started. He and Yasha have never been that good on TV.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
When the Yemen thing kicked off and the extent of western duplicity became apparent, they did get more grim, yeah.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Yeah it was great. The description of way regional investment flows drive conflict was not something I'd heard articulated that well before.

I think it's the first time I've heard someone spell out the link between dwindling Saudi oil output and military adventurism in Yemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The peak oil nutters have been talking about it for a few years, but it's hard to separate the real from the fever-dream bullshit.