Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I really hope they make the Sci-Fi & Fascism episode free some time, because it's by far the most interesting episode for non-war buffs.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-7585924

It's incredibly insightful on sci-fi as a genre, as well as the fascist sensibilities of the American white middle class which has roots going back to the late 50s.

If you're curious about the show, this one episode is well worth 10 bux if you just want to sample and cancel the subscription.

Just finished this ep. That was really good. Any other specific eps I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All of them.

I'm looking through the backlog to see which ones were especially noteworthy. A lot of them get dated because the early episodes were a lot more topical, and only an hour long.

Episode 10 is interesting, because that was the episode when War Nerd commented on Amnesty International's report about YPG/J ethnic cleansing of Arab villages, and AI wrote back saying they weren't doing any of that.

Episode 14 was around the time of the Oregon Militia standoff, so they did a bit about the Mormons' history of warfare with Midwest Protestants & the Federal government.

Episode 18 was the Patrick Cockburn interview on the rise of ISIS.

Episode 20 was the Tim Shorrock interview on Korea, and the history of conflict with the North.

As I'm writing this I'm realizing that my War Nerd fandom is gonna lead me into recommending too much so I'm gonna try and recommend the essentials. I'm just going to bold all the key words.

Episode 30 was the Opium Wars episode.

Episode 39 is about the Cold War counterinsurgencies around the world, with a special feature on Eduard Lansdale - the CIA sociopath who was the inspiration for The Quiet American.

Episode 44: the Nukes episode with physicist Dr. Sunil Sanais. It was recommended earlier ITT and it's a good one.

Episode 47: the North Carolina Civil War episode with David Forbes (prequel to the Sci-Fi & Fascism ep).

Episode 48: I know I'm recommending too much anyway, but this is a top-tier episode about The Italian Front of WW1, and poet, national hero, and raging rear end in a top hat Gabriele d'Annunzio.

Episode 49: is the second Patrick Cockburn interview.

Pretty much everything past this point has been definitely worth listening too, but I'd especially highlight episode 56: The Sikhs.

And of course, Episode 64: The Sci-Fi & Fascism episode is the god tier.

Good poo poo, thank you

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I had actually watched that Yugoslavia documentary years ago but didn't really get it because I was completely ignorant about that area of the world. The latest episode helped put a lot of that conflict into perspective and I'm actually gonna rewatch that doc soon

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:siren: FREE EPISODE :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-8280857

The Rania Khalek episode was reposted free to the public. It's a great interview about the current state of the war in Syria, and how it's affected the Druze community in particular. They also talked about how Michael Weiss tried to get her and all the other journalists going to Aleppo killed.

The one thing I came away with from this ep is that everyone is lying about Syria lol

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Yeah I'm really glad for these asian history eps. About to listen to the second Uighur one now.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/876490520251465728

Next episode sounds really good can't wait

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

lmao

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

The Nasser Arrabye episode was good and I'm glad they posted it for everyone to see. The complete refusal of liberal media to cover this war was also one of the topics discussed in one of the recent Citations Needed episode.

coathat posted:

It was good but they should really have Mark on since he loves botching about lovely journalists even more than them.

Yeah I always thought if they invited anyone it would be ames for that same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Catching up on episodes since I was a fair bit behind and this climate change episode with christian parenti is pretty loving grim.