Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hahaha i was reading old war nerd stuff from the exile and i actually vaguely know one of the neocon dudes he's dunking on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

IIRC the rules weren't set up to allow for asymetric tactics, so the Iranian commander just made poo poo up, and it often violated common sense and/or laws of physics. It does show that the US was basically just planning on a nice neat conventional war and weren't ready for something more complicated, but the actual results aren't necessarily realistic

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thinking of subbing now that I'm caught up in Revolutions. Have they done an so on the Irish war of independence/civil war/troubles? Dolan's referenced it a few times on the previews

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

new ep up on franco-prussian war and the paris commune. the anecdote about the poor martyred Versailles officer who got shot because some street urchin was raised with the awful democratic idea that it's bad when people hit you was amazing. the rest is incredibly depressing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

im liking the handful of salty comments on the patreon because they're getting too political

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Btw the guest mentioned that there's a theory evangelical missionaries were encouraged to chip away at liberation theology, does anyone have a good source on that?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can't wait for evangelical mujahadin to blow up the empire state or something

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hype for ames talking about Hanukkah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

btw does anyone know if the ee cummings poem mentioned in the episode is based on actual events?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I always find it funny that Dolan and Ames are separated by a generation but hace similar experiences with growing up in California

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I honestly think I'm gonna get autumn of the black snake for my sister, she's into history and used to go to a summer camp at camp chief little turtle

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i read the article about sparta wrt the us military in question a while back and it's a solid lol. i liked the pic of a spartan helmet colored in confederate flag with the caption "this is saying way more than the creator thinks it is"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lolling at ames getting mad at tweets while taking his kid down a slide

e: also i want to watch him stream bf1

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Jan 3, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lol i googled mh-chaos and literally the first response i got was " MH/CHAOS was a foreign program, conducted overseas, except for these limited activities. "

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also props to dolan for coming up with the exact aliens quote i was thinking of

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What happened?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I love the random liberal twerps who bring up that John Dolan was "Eduard Limonov's translator" as if translating someone into English means you fully endorse everything they believe, like a retweet.

I'm the confused guy on their patreon who keeps asking them to interview peter hitchens

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1085200290804985857

At some point I'm gonna have to figure out what the gently caress is going on in book of the new sun

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

all the gene wolfe talk made me wish i knew what the gently caress he was talking about and the jack vance talk made me wanna play dark souls

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also tbh while the exile did some good work everyone involved was better once they moved on

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

isnt the entire joke of gary brecher that he's exactly the kind of character you'd expect him to be

e: like i do actually know That Guy and dolan specifically made fun of an article he wrote arguing we should arm the georgians against russian incursions

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Jan 22, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Gentlemen you can't fight in here! This is the war nerd thread!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Relistening to their ep on somalia and al shaabab, have they done an ep on the Somali-Ethiopian conflict?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

e75 is also about the troubles

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i wanna get the book they talked about just so i can see the recipts on the poo poo about the mujahedin lmao

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dreylad posted:

From that article Vanity Fair or someone did back in 2010/2011 where the journalist who went to interview Taibbi ended up having coffee thrown at his face, one of the things that broke down the relationship between Ames and Taibbi (and there probably isn't one thing, just growing antagonism with one another in a pretty crazy place) was that Ames went to the US for a couple of years to do research on his book about workplace shootings and left Taibbi running the eXile. Taibbi promptly got addicted to heroin, if he wasn't already, and from Ames point of view, ran it into the ground.

I think Ames tried to do Taibbi a solid when Mikey C spun up the same rape accusations against the two of them for their satire book when Ames both admitted that looking back they were pretty gross and that he, not Taibbi, wrote the worst parts in the eXile book. Not that that would satisfy people gunning for them already -- the WaPo let some journalist who had been slighted by the two back in the 90s because she ghoulishly gloated about the excess deaths in Russia re-litigate their wrongdoings as violent, virulent misogyny.

i kind of get the impression that everyone who wrote for the exile was better off professionally and personally afterwards

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lol who actually thinks the exile is less problematic than their current stuff

e: vv lol

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Mar 26, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

there was one a month or two back about al-shabab in somalia that was pretty good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Anyone else underwhelmed with the Nigeria episode? Felt like more of the episode was spent on US politics, when the audio was even parsable. Also got the vibe of real trash progressive/liberal electioneering insights, but that's the risk you run into when covering an election I guess.

Paraguay episode was lit tho

Yeah it was mostly just old war stories about failed US campaigns, wish there had been more about local politics

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ames' dad stories are good though :3:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

is there a good comprehensive rundown of the period? it's kind of in the background to all the stuff the ex-exile people write but i don't really know what happened other than poo poo's hosed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

its just an aside in the article but i never quite made the connection that soros, boogeyman of the right, made his money looting the USSR's corpse lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm a bit behind on the news, what was the US evidence other than "please let us kill some more Muslims"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nothus posted:

If you impulse buy a civil war era 2lb cannon on the other side of the country and end up becoming part of the online "cannon community", I'd say you've earned a guest spot on RWN.

what was thet drug that had goons buying grand pianos and not remembering

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

btw i got james scott's weapons of the weak for last christmas about low level class struggle in the malaysian countryside during the green revolution and a lot of the stuff they were saying about the naxalites and india's climate reminded me of it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

We got the anecdote about the proposed Stalin sperm bank so I'm glad of it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a good longer article/discussion of the naxalites anywhere?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I seem to recall a story in Jacobin a while back about a lady involved in a direct action environmentalist group who discovered her boyfriend of several years and fellow activist was an undercover cop so yeah wouldnt be surprised

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dreylad posted:

weren't they a couple for like a decade and had a child together? that's some insane dedication to crush a bunch of hippies.

Yeah I forget about the kid but they'd been together a while. Dude had a seperate family too iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I remember Ames saying he was playing battlefield 1 and I'd watch that stream