Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this show is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I found the subscriber feed in a podcast app without having to pay anything for it (this also works for the Chapo premium episodes, there's nothing secured about the actual URL) but I like both the shows enough to pay for them anyway

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

snoremac posted:

The recent episode with Carl Zha was a great listen. I went in knowing nothing about Xinjiang but was enthralled by how beautifully he was able to map things out and give a general history. I hope they get him back more often.

those eps were really good but Dolan's huge crush on him is a lil uncomfortable

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Central Asian history is really neat and you basically never learn about any of it unless you specifically study it so it's cool to get a deep dive into it with these uighur eps

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Carl Zha ftw lmao

holy poo poo this rules

when is the three kingdoms episode

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

holy poo poo this rules

when is the three kingdoms episode

:siren: it's happening :siren:

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/890201668800962560

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Israel's conflict with Hezbollah specifically has basically defined their (and by extension US) foreign policy in the region ever since, which is a fun thing to keep in mind when you consider Hezbollah has a lot of material ties to Iran, along with the weird relations between Lebanon and Syria which honestly could probably fill an episode by itself

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

makhno is bae

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

most of it, yes

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm pretty sure John mentioned on one of the recent eps he was going back to new york soon

I can't imagine why because turin seems like a real cool city and he seemed happy there

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah I guess they weren't very clear on if he was actually staying. probably not since he seems to enjoy his travels but also the dude's real old

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

their guest this week is professor butt

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1035225422269689856?s=19

i always forget dolan is like 70 years old

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hiking all those mountainous locales was good for him.

yeah climbing up that crazy Italian mountain fortress is probably more than I'd be able to do

Marijuana posted:

It's a fact that conservatism rots you from the inside out and makes you looks like poo poo. Just look at Ted Cruz. Did you know he's younger than Gwen Stefani?

Charlie Kirk is 24

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Thinking of subbing now that I'm caught up in Revolutions. Have they done an so on the Irish war of independence/civil war/troubles? Dolan's referenced it a few times on the previews

They've done two: E75 on the history of the IRA and Sinn Fein through most of the 20th century, and E122 more focusing on the Troubles and the conditions leading up to the Good Friday Agreement
they're very good eps

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The new episode on the Spanish-American War/American-Phillippines War is also really good, and dovetails perfectly with Matt Christman's Chapo episode on the history of fascism.

Yeah I listened to these two back-to-back and noticed a lot of common themes between them (mainly racist european imperialism being ridiculously evil)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

fwiw the guy who cornered me was pumping this group:

lmao this is the best we're capable of

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I hope the carl zha series breaks down the whole chinese civil war from the beginning because I don't think they've really talked about it beyond the WW2 context and it's super interesting

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mind boggling over the phrase "the left-wing of capital"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it is unfortunate that taibbi turned out to be a completely unprincipled hack because some of his earlier writing was pretty good. ah well, into the trashbin of history

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

I dunno, I thought he taught at uVic and that's a school that, where Canada goes, is pretty secure. I see now he was fired from there.

John getting fired from uVic is one of the funniest war nerd adventures, he ends up spending all of their savings on a boat because his and his wifes rent is too expensive and they also have a dog somehow and they end up wintering on this unheated boat in the harbor with some local sea creatures and it nearly drives them insane. Wish I could find the articles but search engines are useless

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

reasonable assumption to make if you've only listened to the Hersh episode since john just kinda vanishes a few minutes in

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

The civil war episodes, especially the one about the polish count and the one about how McClellan was a filthy traitor.

This and also the one about Buell and Vicksburg. the civil war series is good as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it sounds like he's implying they used some sort of covert flight option that wouldn't be trackable by any nerd using flightmaps or whatever which seems plausible