Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Atrocious Joe posted:

We're going to find out that John had a connecting flight through Kabul that got cancelled

*heavy, weary sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Is John doing paid ad placement for duolingo :thunk:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Art is not for expressing private feelings and thoughts

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I got to see one of those dumb ships in person in both Bath and San Diego

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I know our Illinois textbook had a big section on carpet baggers for the reconstruction era. About the only thing I remember.

I've read McPherson and a little Fornier and I'm learning lots of good stuff from this series.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Like many other gen xers tabbi's brain got broken by the concept of cancel culture.

Mark Ames posted:

It was his birthright to be read,

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sympathizing with Mark re 2yo's in daycare getting hand foot mouth back to back with rsv, real bad times

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I sometimes listen to John's tales and think about all the interesting places he's been that I'll never go

But absolutely no thanks to that life, gotta be brutal. At least he had a partner to share it with.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Southern slaver elites were absolutely insane, as John likes to note

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1457452491797417999?s=20

He specifically talks about the responses to this tweet.

Congrats on having Mark and John mock you.

What came out about the realness of the piss tape that's got him worked up

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sucks that we're going to definitely keep nuclear weapons but not nuclear energy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The US is pretty quickly shuttering plants and there will never be any more built

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

yeah but we're on episode 84 of the Russian Revolution and the civil war is just kicking off

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Haitian revolution is good because you can hear his worldview shift throughout the series

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think it's a political shift so much as a perspective shift. During History of Rome and the early parts of Revolutions his approach is very hands-off and dry but around Haiti is where it hits home how awful these states were to the people enslaved under them and how revolution ends up happening as an inevitablity. You can hear how frustrated he is with how cruel and disconnected Louis XVI or the Romanovs are.

I think he's still a soft-left lib but he's at least started to emote on history rather than approach it as spectacle.

Yeah. There was a marked tone shift from "wow isn't history neat and fun??" to "behold the horrors of the past" specifically during the Haitian series.

shirts and skins posted:

It is pretty funny hearing his worldview of "Kornilov wasn't so bad" clash with "every story I tell involves liberals betraying leftists to reactionaries"

it is!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I thought they were on track for permanent residency in Italy?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I predict heavy sighing

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Enjoyed the mini series on the end days of the ottomans

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sephyr posted:

Yup. Candace was a run of the mill Twitter person picking small fights with people over not feeling represented and such, until she tripped the wrong types and got dragged by the early chudosphere....and then love-bombed while they said that the people who had been jerks to her were obviously crypto-liberals.

In no time at all, she was cheering for Daddy Trump to teach those commies a lesson.

Iirc there was something about her trying to set up a site to "expose" people that was in practice just doxxing, and when she got a lot of poo poo for that, she went hard right

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The right is starting to get better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why is it impossible for John and his wife to get permanent residency anywhere?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"they couldn't possibly have done this, because it would be an insanely stupid thing to do!"

Nevertheless,

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Haven't listened yet but it sounds like he's an rear end in a top hat?

Has there been any independent confirmation of his nordstream story yet? I know in the past at least parts of his big stories got verified.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

there's been reports that a (norwegian) plane with the capacities hersh describes was in the area around the time of the explosion. i do not remember if it's the precise type hersh alleges. an alta-class ship did participate in the exercise hersh alleges was used as cover, but it's not obvious how it would deploy a team of divers without getting noticed - from available data, it doesn't seem to have stopped and waited for them to get back up directly over the pipeline which would presumably be the most straightforward way to do it.

mostly, though, there's just been crickets. i've seen very little serious follow-up beyond some medium-effort attempts at debunking. for something like this to be actually confirmed you'd need further leaks from the relevant services, parlimentary inquiries or someone in the press taking this very seriously indeed, and none of this seems to be forthcoming. this is why the attempt to discredit hersh personally makes sense - if the source can be dismissed, so can the allegations, and you can assume that they're wrong without substantively engaging with them. most people would agree that if there's even a fairly small chance that this is true it should be taken very seriously indeed, so this a priori has to be obviously false, which leads to a number of interesting cognitive exercises.

people really do not want this to be true and so will interpret any incongruities they can find to be fatal to the overall story, to the point where in their mental calculus simply entertaining the idea that it might in some part be true is more damaging than committing to a serious investigation of some sort

I saw at the end of the Jacobin interview they asked about the Norwegian plane, and he just hand-waived it away. Wasn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

quote:

FABIAN SCHEIDLER
There was some critique of your article by people who are engaged in evaluating open-source intelligence (OSINT) on ships and airplanes in the Baltic Sea region, saying that no Norwegian plane was detected directly at the spot of the explosions on September 26 or the days before.

SEYMOUR HERSH
Any serious covert operation takes OSINT into account and works around it. As I said, there were people on the mission who took care of this issue.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

maybe I was just not in the mood but it seemed like just 20 minutes of her complaining about people she didn’t like on twitter. does it get better later on?

This is Mark and John most episodes lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Remulak posted:

Irrationally irritated at Part 3 of the Iraq war retrospective where they talk about A Few God Men. The movie is execrable for tons of reasons but they missed the entire point; the Nicholson character being bad and wrong is the text of the movie. Sure, the movie was misread by assholes and people that believe Oliver North, and that’s indeed a failing, but for gently caress’s sake that was NOT the intent.

Yeah, they brought it up in a previous episode, too. Sure lots of people cheered on Nicholson's character, but as written he wasn't the hero/correct. Tom Cruise as the JAG officer putting him in jail was written as the protagonist who provoked Nicholson into a self-incriminating meltdown on the stand.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mike Duncan did a series on the Mexican revolution that covered a lot of Pancho Villa that I remember being decent

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Few weeks back, but if you liked the Annibale episode about nukes, you'd probably like Richard Rhodes' "Making of the Atomic Bomb." Covers the early physics behind the advances that led to nuclear power and eventually nuclear bombs including the Manhattan Project.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

I think he looks good, and headline aside, he supports class first leftism throughout and points to idpol emerging after Occupy as weakening the left. It's just that the only people who will give you a platform to talk about that are the right.

Lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

crepeface posted:

the Gabon election observer stories were great :allears:

great episode

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Reminded me I really need to read his books

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

From Jakarta method:

Eric Bevins posted:

which was the style at the time

100% chance that's a Simpsons reference

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

he's right that "grok" is such an embarrassing word

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

People who play back at anything other than 1x are sickos

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ryan Grim calling back to the Iliad, reminds me of the very early days of RWN when John was finishing it up

e: Thread title could use an update but I don't have any suggestions

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

sometimes I think the people in this thread are so childish. I'm almost certain none of you knew anything about british guyana, and he did a good job teaching about it. so he's not ideologically perfect, it's something to complain about? it's really pathetic if you're so shallow in your beliefs that you can't even listen to someone tell you about something new if they're not ideologically pure enough.

Pretty much everyone seemed to be saying good interview but lol at those specific parts?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hell yeah eclipse chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

any good movies on the battle of kursk?