Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was hoping they'd dive into Africa, especially with the number of missions the US seems to be running covertly on the continent.

I'm way behind on the show, but the Carl Zha stuff has be--

lol

Because I'm a history dork I did enjoy the fact that Zha spent time on Chinese historiography, I'm always interested in how China's come to terms with its past through the Cultural Revolution to present day.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
more carl zha on the first sino-japanese war.

what are carl's qualifications? is he just some big fan of history or what?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

According to his facebook page he's educated as an electrical engineer. I think he's just a Chinese history nerd who naturalized as an American, so he can relate things that even American scholars generally aren't aware of.

Cool! I appreciate his takes on the evolution of Chinese historiography, that's really interesting stuff and I'm glad they get into it because perspectives from within and outside China are, as you say, not exactly widely known.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's a really fun episode, Dolan and their guest are really enjoying themselves throughout.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
What a stupid, petty squabble.

Leftist circular firing squad etc

It's too bad because Wilson leaves the interview on an up note, saying he sees various left groups working together and organizing for once, and that they dwarf Nazi protestors in terms of numbers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mark "Slab" Ames: Welcome to the WAR LINE! First caller, traffic and weather coming in at the top of the hour, we got Matt on the line. Maniac MATT GIVE US YOUR WAR NERD AWHOOGA!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Jane's-sama

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Taibbi's dad is/was also a well known journalist and so like Blumenthal (whose family is pretty well off) they can continue to exist in the mainstream press despite any bad opinions.

Where was Taibbi's statement by the way?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

all of Taibbi & Max Blumenthal's opinions are good and correct :colbert:

sorry i meant "bad" opinions that get people upset at them because they don't like wall street or american imperialism

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Nov 6, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the byzantine-sassanid one was good, the one on the illiad, the sci-fi and fascism one, the one about the Sikh empire

crimean war in the context of russiaphobia was decent.

I've done some research on the topic of the latest episode so I'm excited to hear it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I tried to listen to a few episodes, and it's okay but he and his co-host are pretty new to this and lack the audio quality and the ability to stay on point. But that's something that improves with time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Glad to see Nima Shirazi on the show, bringing together two good podcasts.

Free preview here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/preview-radio-16513242

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hell yes, the 30 years war will make a great episode

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah it worked for me because I'm pretty familiar with the general narrative of the war. to be fair it's a pretty complicated conflict with a lot of different powers jumping in, but that doesn't excuse not having some kind of basic backgrounder to give people an idea of what the hell was going on in Europe at that time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
russiagate makes for strange bedfellows

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Part of what makes the War Nerd great is the coverage of topics that rarely get discussed elsewhere, often with really interesting guests. Episodes I would particularly recommend to someone who is working through the show's backlog would be 29 (the Nagorno-Karabakh war, an interesting incident from the break up of the USSR), 40 (the Ethiopia-Eritrea War), anything with Karl Zha, and especially episdoe 76 where they interview the late Robert Parry, a very important American investigate journalist who helped break some of the biggest stories of the 1980s on Reagan's dirty war in south America. The Joshua Landis interview in episode 118 was a really interesting Afrin-centric episode on Syria and 117 on the bizarre history of the MEK in Iran is worth a listen.

I'd also recommend Episode 56: The Sikh Empire, and any of the episodes with William Hogeland (63, 85, 91) who is a great historian about early post-independence America. As a non-American I learned a lot.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the kidnapping and murder of Aldo Moro is a completely insane story

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm glad we'll finally have a good accounting of the horrific atrocities inflicted by the radical houthi rebels on the peaceful yemense people

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's better than a regular clip show where they're actually reflecting on it and laughing at themselves. It was pretty fun.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Yemen and now Spanish-American war episodes really are both top tier with excellent guests. I missed the earlier episodes on Britain and Saudi Arabia so I hadn't quite clued in on how much British policy impacted Islam, and how much effort went into homogenizing Islam during the 19th and 20th centuries to make Muslims in colonial nations easier subjects to rule.

Also didn't realize how much Qatar and Saudi were not just proxies for American power but specific American political dynasties (that seems to run along party lines, so far)

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Sep 15, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
john dolan dying in the bathroom of a roman hippy grocer would be a pretty appropriate way to go out

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also they've hyped up talking about him in at least two previous episodes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not surprising, brazil's a big country and people are invested in its elections unlike all the non-political things they talk about like china's treatment of the ughyr and uh Syria

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ames talks a bit about his latest article at the end of the latest episode about Nasser.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Speaking of RNW-adjacent, Yasha Levine is trying to crowdfund a documentary about the pistachio business in California, how it contributes to the perennial droughts that affect the state, the vast amounts of money invested in the business, and even how the farmers guide US foreign policy against Iran (Iran also grows a lot of pistachios).

There's some clips posted already, including some amazing top-tier bootlicking by Stephen Colbert.

quote:

At the center of Pistachio Wars are two Beverly Hills billionaires — Stewart and Lynda Resnick.

He has old mob ties. She’s a child of Hollywood whose dad produced The Blob. They live in the biggest, flashiest mansion in Beverly Hills. They hang out with celebrities, give to charities, and have Stephen Colbert pitching their products on TV.

They’re farmers — the biggest and most powerful in California. They have a monopoly on America's booming pistachio market. They’re also water barons. They control more water than the entire population of Los Angeles uses in one year — that’s 4 million people.

For years, they’ve been bending California‘s political system to their will — privatizing water to feed the growth of their farming empire in the desert.

Their latest plan is to weaponize the panic surrounding California’s drought to grab the state’s most valuable water asset: two great rivers that feed into the San Francisco Bay. It’s a heist of epic proportions — it will put family farms out of business, and push life in the biggest river estuary on the west coast of America towards mass extinction.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Nov 22, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah Ames mentions his website too. Music's good, and I understand why they're so appreciative of Brenden given how much it sucks to edit your own podcast every episode

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I thought their brief aside about populism a few episodes ago was interesting, and I'm glad they're dedicating a whole episode to it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
147 should be a must-listen, there's a lot to unpack there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Trying to get the local ISIS affiliate in Syria to take her out by tweeting out her location with a group of other reporters is pretty high up there for hateful things to do for a person.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THS posted:

someone else can probably explain it better, but gary brecher is a persona, not just a pen name. his war need columns used to be way more over the top and near satire

gary brecher was a character conceived as a pen pusher in some california tech/military industrial company who spent his spare time reading every Jane's publication ever written. everything the character wrote is from that perspective. think grover without the death house.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can distinctly remember the last two times this happened. The first was right after The Exile had to flee Russia and they were growing their roots back into the US (and Mark was still doing speed). Mark & Yasha were the first journalists to expose that the Koch Brothers were astroturfing the Tea Party movement, and then all of a sudden there was a big right wing push to discredit them for being sexists and rapists - which was coming from disgusting mutants like Jim Goad of all people. Then it was what, last year or a couple years ago? They did the same thing because Matt Taibbi was getting too popular.

It almost happened a third time because Mark Ames did the funky chicken dance on Andrew Breitbart's grave, but it petered out because I guess the guys who took over after Breitbart died were too busy trying to keep the company together.

I didn't know about right after the Exile got banned, but certainly every time one of them takes on a billionaire (as with Yasha and Ames), or however many people Taibbi pissed off with I Can't Breathe, it starts up again.

Nothus posted:

I'm surprised we didn't get another round of handwringing when Yasha was making the rounds with his water wars article and Kickstarter. That throw away line about him being a soviet citizen is pretty weak sauce. I guess Mark and Matt just have a knack for knowing which beehive to kick.

I assume we are about to get another one because Yasha went after a couple of maniac billionaires.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume John Dolan is some kind of Mister McGoo character where he stumbles around contracting illnesses, not dying and wherever he shows up just descends into chaos around him.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
mark ames is trying to set the world record for most Beefs in one lifetime.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/TheseLongWars/status/1096119963335774208

lol what

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume he had some kind of twitter name referencing the spy case, otherwise it makes zero sense

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
From that article Vanity Fair or someone did back in 2010/2011 where the journalist who went to interview Taibbi ended up having coffee thrown at his face, one of the things that broke down the relationship between Ames and Taibbi (and there probably isn't one thing, just growing antagonism with one another in a pretty crazy place) was that Ames went to the US for a couple of years to do research on his book about workplace shootings and left Taibbi running the eXile. Taibbi promptly got addicted to heroin, if he wasn't already, and from Ames point of view, ran it into the ground.

I think Ames tried to do Taibbi a solid when Mikey C spun up the same rape accusations against the two of them for their satire book when Ames both admitted that looking back they were pretty gross and that he, not Taibbi, wrote the worst parts in the eXile book. Not that that would satisfy people gunning for them already -- the WaPo let some journalist who had been slighted by the two back in the 90s because she ghoulishly gloated about the excess deaths in Russia re-litigate their wrongdoings as violent, virulent misogyny.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Mar 20, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ames and Taibbi are both talking extensively about the failure of Russiagate (Ames for a few years now, Taibbi's writing that touches on the subject) to the point where I wonder if they really will have Taibbi on the show if things have been somewhat patched up.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Phone posted:

~~~~ tHiNk PrOgReSs ~~~~

Some wild twitter threads coming out of this.

Looks like some of these creeps are going after RWN's patreon funding. And a friend is saying there's a deleted Carl Zha tweet where someone sent him pictures of his house and said they forwarded it to ICE. These people are loving horrible.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Mar 26, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I expected these people to be soulless hacks, not complete maniacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

pangstrom posted:

Thomas Whigham was a good guest but he had pretty advanced case of professor disease. Not as patronizing as that Africa reporter guy (Jeffrey Gettleman?), but definitely used to running a conversation with 20 year olds, making a meal over correcting the minor misstatements of assistant professors etc.

He was definitely in full lecture mode, but the subject matter was interesting at least. I learned a bit about the war back in my undergrad days but it was nice to get more context.