Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah, it's kept him from going the way of the rest of his peers who all went nuts around 2016 coming to terms with their mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah some of the COIN games are on TTS last I checked, although nothing by Brian Train. Here's a few:

Cuba Libre (definitely the game to start with)
Andean Abyss
Fire In The Lake

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Oct 17, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Weird. Almost like saying "we were wrong" every episode will never be enough to placate libs.

I don't think they were doing to placate liberals, they were doing it because they see themselves as people trying to do an honest job of analyzing the world for their listeners.

Hilariously despite seeming more cynical, Mark has always been the guy who has tried to stick to so-called journalistic principles and holding himself to a standard that's informed a lot of his better work.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Dec 9, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Joementum posted:

Having his book tour cancelled for the Eric Garner book absolutely broke him and there was no turning back after that. It's a shame too because that's probably the best thing he's written.

yeah it's a great systematic look at why policing is so awful: it's because that's what everyone, democrat and republican voters, want. replace the police with different police? they're still going to do the same thing. abolish the police? to steal a getfiscal joke: now we have police2.

it's gross to think about what erica garner would think about the guy who humanized his dad now chilling with people who are glad her father was murdered.

the fact that he apparently removed the book from his bio is brutal.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
going to write a letter to the Onion to see if they'll put me in contact with Henry Kissinger.

although that's probably a bad comparison, stephen king maybe?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's too bad they seemed like they were having a blast living in Italy, even if John almost died after locking himself in a hippy grocery store bathroom.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i say swears online posted:

ehhhhhh

they didn't push back on the recent guest other than some "hrmm ok"s so i think some of the more niche guests can be harmful. if they won't turn an interview on its head because of nato or w/e i don't trust their editorial bent elsewhere. biafra guest is my prime example since it was clear they were leaning on her to provide info

have they really pushed back on anyone though? doesn't seem like their style really. the worst was when they had some professor on who was basically lecturing them and mark was just getting more and more annoyed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It doesn't hurt that I think they both said their right-wing reactionary phase happened coming out of living in California suburbs. Leaving there shook them out of it.

I think Mark's mellowed out a lot and still does decent journalism. If you fault them for anything it's believing that journalists can do better.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

i really like their syria episodes with that american professor guy who talks a bit about syrian internal politics etc whose name i cannot recall

I don't know if it was Isa Blumi, but his episodes about Yemen was the first time I heard someone spell out how each political party in the US has its own preferred client states in the Middle East.

I highly recommend Episode #64: The Old Iron Dream which is about sci-fi and fascism. It's just a really fun episode and John is clearly having a blast. Also one of my favourite lines from John about how holding up in a bunker with tons of provisions after the apocalypse is for losers and is tactically unsound, but being the leader of the mutant raiders "now that's the dream."

also from the hersh jacobin article

quote:

SEYMOUR HERSH
What’s courageous about telling the truth? Our job isn’t to be afraid. And sometimes it gets ugly. There have been times in my life, when — you know, I don’t talk about it. Threats aren’t made to people like me; they’re made to children of people like me. There’s been awful stuff. But you don’t worry about it — you can’t. You have to just do what you do.

gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he's even got the posture and sitting chair of a grandpa

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Remulak posted:

Yeah rough on Taibbi!

God I loved that part.

which ep is this? I'm behind!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i say swears online posted:

oh dear. age really creeps up on you, mark. staring at the departure board i accidentally mistook 'khartoum' for 'restroom' and now katherine has joined the janjaweed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that cult has serious money so honestly if you're already just debasing yourself you may as well just get paid as much as possible.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the only book he wrote that delivers a remotely leftist critique of anything he completely disowned because of idpol and his new fanbase so i don't really think any of that is true or ever has been true of taibbi

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I’m still mad that they never talked about Guns of the South on the sci fi & fascism episode.

They really should just do a second interview with that guy or someone else. They got through a lot of authors already in that one episode and it seems like it's a popular episode.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i can kind of understand that when they want to do an episode on a particular subject they'll take whatever expert they can get. RWN is bigger than some podcasts but it's still a podcast and not anyone is going to just show up for an interview.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Grimson posted:

lily lynch is such a good guest

yeah shes done some great reporting

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

they had those insanely long episodes with annibale about covid which really were very early covid-alarmist content as i recall it

To be fair they were talking to an Italian during the first wave, while Italy was getting rocked by Covid in a way other countries didn't.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm using "alarmist" non-pejoratively here, to be clear

ah, gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TVBgsMcjJ4
I was wondering why I followed this guy on Twitter and then I remembered he was a War Nerd guest years ago

wait this is the guy who said that expanding the definition of terrorist to include white militias and other right wing groups was bad because it just expanded the war on terror/surveillance state etc. what the gently caress lol

and yeah I seem to remember him writing a lot about the blob and how the first thing you do at a think tank is get media training, he was very critical of foreign policy reporting and well I guess we found his blindspot.