Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have managed to get over my initial disappointment that John Dolan did not sound like I imagined Gary Brecher to sound, and I'm liking this podcast a whole hell of a lot. Only on my sixth episode, but I foresee myself working my way back through these things. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i cant seem to find this podcast on the apple podcast search

It's subscriber-only. You get an RSS URL in the newsletter.

It's worth it, though. And it might be the only thing keeping the guy alive. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Maybe I'm just brainwashed by the mainstream media, but Mark Ames seems super-negative towards anyone who says bad things about Russia, including the Bellingcat people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sephyr posted:

Ames had his business literally shut down by Putin, so it's hard to imagine he's a Kremlin shill.

He -does- take issue with neocon war boosters and think-tank kreminologists hyping the latest Russia scandal to get a new Cold War going now that the GWOT is losing steam. Michael Weiss, in particular, but also a few others. Both he and Taibbi have horror stories about the russian government for days, but tend to draw the line at the "We should DO something about these evil soviets" talk, and that's enough to get them both ostracized.

In either the latest RWN episode or the one about the Crimean War (those were the ones I listened to today), he said it was actually Medvedev that shut him down. (He pronounces it "Medvyedev".)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thug Lessons posted:

Regardless of how you spell it the guy was an obvious Putin puppet.

Oh, no argument on that point.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

oh hey what do we have here

That doesn't say she was pregnant when he had sex with her.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This is apparently not a joke?

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/854382270320447489

I might just buy that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sephyr posted:

Holy crap, it's out!

I remember them mentioning it in one of the first free episodes, about how the Iliad should be rescued from dusty humanities teachers and updated into being closer to what it was, the Pulp Fiction/Marvel Crossover of its day, with people suffering gory ironic deaths, heroes facing off and the gods sticking their fingers all over the place... hell both the iliad and Batman vs. Superman end with the funeral of a main character slain fighting his nemesis.

I'm totally on board with that -- I loved the Iliad when I was a kid, even though you were supposed to like the Odyssey instead. :shobon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nothus posted:

I know they're a bit rambling, but I'm really liking the interviews with Carl Zha. Can't wait for them to do one about the attempted Tang conquest of Korea.

I'm looking forward to that, because I enjoy giggling like an idiot. :blush:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spime Wrangler posted:

*posts 700 words about interesting geopolitical incident that most people have never heard of, includes a bunch of photographs of the hardware and people involved, notes cultural influences and long-term impacts*

*caps it off with pre- and post-incident anthropomorphic battleship moe girls*

Pobody's nerfect. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

buddy that is perfection

Anime is haram.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:siren: FREE EPISODE :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-13429180

They've just reposted the interview with Amal Saad, who is one of the few scholars on Hezbollah and the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah war.

Israel fought a war in 2006? And they lost?

Nobody tells me about things.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Listening to the "American Nazis" episode now, and I love it when Dolan gets into the Civil War history. It's so clear he really cares about it, and knows it deeply.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hedenius posted:

One of my favorite columns of his is his one on Adam Gurowski. It actually made me get the diary and read it which I highly recommend.

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/adam-gurowski/

This is good; thanks. :tipshat:

"You’ll notice that Gurowski is so angry here at the dotard Scott that he uses the worst insult any European military commentator can think of: He compares Scott to the Austrians."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This new episode about the Rohingya is really interesting. The reporter they talk to kind of pokes John as being "orientalist" about halfway through (at first, I thought it might be a joke, but I think she was actually a bit annoyed at him), and there's an interesting discussion about who the media is biased towards and why.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

somebody should tip Will Menaker that the Dolans will be in NYC so they can get John on Chapo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Now that the neo-Nazis have ruined irony, we have to be serious about everything all the time. :sigh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I know I've been critical of Mark in the past, but there is still good in him.

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/932378830123274240

:allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Holy cow, they let John back into the country?! :monocle:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Listening to EP114 now, and the last quarter of the show is about UFO disinfo from the '70s! :neckbeard:

Mark talks about a book he calls "Miracle Men", but the actual title is "Mirage Men", in case anyone goes looking for it. (Lots of "miracle men" books, mostly about religion/inspiration stuff.)

prefect has issued a correction as of 15:01 on Jan 2, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dreylad posted:

I'd also recommend Episode 56: The Sikh Empire, and any of the episodes with William Hogeland (63, 85, 91) who is a great historian about early post-independence America. As a non-American I learned a lot.

As an American, I also learned a lot from the Hogeland episodes. Fascinating stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nothus posted:

It's gone. What did it say?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darkman Fanpage posted:

brown moses got named dropped (as bellingcat) and not in a positive light

Mark does not like him because he gets funded by NATO, right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coathat posted:

That’s not how it works dumbass.

It seems to make sense. Old conservatives seem older than they actually are once you hear them talk about their opinions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s the first I’ve heard that the Saudis are actually past peak oil production, so they’re doing quite a job of manipulating public perception.

The idea that the Saudis need money for any reason is so strange.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pangstrom posted:

They've previously mentioned they liked the first half and disliked the second half.

This is the right opinion to have, because the first half has the jokes in it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1097914415863742464

:unsmith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echomadman posted:

or as Mark would say, Num-chucks

This is also how I used to say it. :blush:

Now I say "nunchucks".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was kind of hoping the Chapo episode was actually going to be about World of Warcraft.

Same but I was also very happy to hear the War Nerd. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"I call the big one 'Bitey'."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i didn't watch putin's speech but the way ames described how putin humiliated his foreign intelligence chief made me look it up

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1496254648776335361

I wonder if it would be as scary if I spoke their language. Leaning toward "yes, it would".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TenementFunster posted:

lol have you ever talked to A Troop?

I used to watch F Troop. Does that count?