Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Nima Shirazi (from Citations Needed) was also good on the Radio War Nerd about Iran. I could nitpick that there were a few too many "so what's the actual situation over there?" questions answered with "I can tell you what it IS NOT, it's not <dumb hack journalist's take>" but it was still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's got to sound better than that squishy mouth noise he makes when he runs his tongue around his gums or whatever he is doing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
How many times am I going to have to listen to the Wars of Lead eps before I have even a tenuous handle of them, I wonder. I listened to them once through and it was really hard for me to track. The accent was part of it, but also just the events being discussed were hard to thread together.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

snoremac posted:

He's lookin' good since I last saw him.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. Looking good isn't the same as being healthy obv. but last time I saw him I didn't he looked rough even for an aging Irishman (I am also an aging Irishman, though not quite as old or as Irish).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Kind of being contrarian here but another way to think of the think tank worthlessness is that they have very biased peers and overly aggressive peer review.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm just pointing out that you can make a good argument that people working off the grid without sufficient oversight is almost the opposite of what is wrong with think tanks.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Happy Underpants posted:

John's Bill Murray impression really caught me by surprise. I'd really like to hear his opinion about acclaimed war film "Stripes."
They've previously mentioned they liked the first half and disliked the second half.

(apologies if this question wasn't asked in earnest / they said as much 10 times in the most recent episode or something)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

prefect posted:

This is the right opinion to have, because the first half has the jokes in it.
Yeah my original post was "their opinion is the same as most any other old person's, first half good second half bad" but I felt that was likely going to lead to my having to defend the "good" half and I would much rather go to the dentist or join the army or take a winnebago tank into the Eastern Bloc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is also something that is familiar to many male goons, basically being on the outside of the cool kids looking in, feeling alienated, and indulging in power fantasies. And those fantasies will populate the identity and temperament vessels available, the only rule is they have to be reasonably opposed to the dominant narrative the cool kids implicitly endorse. Those vessels can switch rapidly, and any time you meet a smart super-ideological youth it's a decent bet that they won't have that same stance down the road.

I have some pop psyche ideas, a few of which they've said themselves, about Ames hating his dad (anti-authoritarian punk!) and Dolan being Irish (morose affinity for tragic failure!) but I don't really have a crystalized version of them and think having strong opinions along those lines is a fool's pastime anyway.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
super-pro click, I had forgotten about that one.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
You probably can find him if cruise the hospital entrances and see a large american fidgeting about whether or not to go in.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Or maybe reverse the handle on a bathroom so it only locks from the outside, lock it, and he'll materialize inside.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a short version of why Matt Taibbi and Mark Ames don't get along anymore? Is it just something personal, or is it some substantive difference in outlook or something? Was it about Omidyar / First Look?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
http://exiledonline.com

I only looked for a few old things I remembered but I found them all, doesn't seem to be a paywall etc.

edit: sorry missed the EXILE part, when Taibbi was there etc. I don't know if I ever read any of those

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thomas Whigham was a good guest but he had pretty advanced case of professor disease. Not as patronizing as that Africa reporter guy (Jeffrey Gettleman?), but definitely used to running a conversation with 20 year olds, making a meal over correcting the minor misstatements of assistant professors etc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I didn't really weight my comment right. Top line: Good guest, knowledgeable, good at giving larger perspectives, good teacher and pleasant. Side note: much more a lecturer than a conversationalist with the "how about I ask MYSELF the questions" types of stuff.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha

I will admit that I thought it was like a dance friend/partner that people into dancing sometimes have (or at least my friend who is into tango has).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Max Blumenthal episode is so good. It covers a ton of ground.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It would rule but, while I'm a fan of Ames and Taibbi and Dolan, I do think it would get metabolized as sexism and nobody who knows those stories would relish getting into it. Like I personally think it's a good outweighing the bad situation and the smears have been pretty cynical, but it's not like that "easy" angle isn't there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It blew my mind as well, but then I thought maybe the only reason *I* knew it was from Civilization video games.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I saw that. Never heard of the Washington Institute but knew immediately it was an AIPAC thing. The homegrown ones aren't dumb enough to just spell poo poo out like this on tape because it makes people and companies with roots here look bad.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like Carl Zha and when he talks about history I'm like the second Drake meme picture but when I see the weird anime pics I'm like the first Drake meme picture.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

anime is an indispensable element of global culture and you have to live with it
Nooo!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The night of Monday, August 12th they're having a live event in Brooklyn
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/radio-war-nerd-invades-brooklyn-tickets-64685232271

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He also is a clever observer of human psychology and AFAICT most anime is stunted in that respect. Most of what you could put in the nerd culture bucket is, for that matter.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing but yeah I was frustrated trying to understand WTF the PR guy was saying as the line cracked in and out.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The one that comes to mind first is:
Radio War Nerd EP #179 — Max Blumenthal on "The Management Of Savagery"

Basically, if you don't like that one I'm pretty sure you're not going to like almost any of RWN.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
whoa the episode that just dropped is another max blumenthal one

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe somebody else can give better help, this is all I remember:
There have been some Syria stories...they talked about Kayla Mueller (young uh "idealistic" american human rights activist who went to Syria and got uh "forcibly married" and then was killed by her captors or a bomb or who knows). I don't know if they ever talked about Brace Belden or Kevin Dawes (also Syria stories). Most of the stories I can remember them talking about were disaffected westerners going to fight FOR ISIS or Al Queda.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the newsletter has RSS feed URL at the top -- most any decent podcast app should let you add a podcast with an RSS feed.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Carlin puts a lot of effort in making a narrative, which I appreciate but yeah it's slow and he doesn't have some crazy computer brain like Dolan and Annibale etc. do, doesn't really stay abreast of current goings-on or at least rarely has public "takes" on them. He's basically a "pragmatic libertarian" who has been wanting a successful "outsider" candidate forever and it broke his worldview pretty hard when the monkey's paw curled and Trump showed up as a tough-to-dismiss avatar of what a lot of America is actually like. It works for shows about things that happened 50+ years ago but for newer stuff he can only comment on specifics, struggles to synthesize etc.

I will say that because of his effort in making a narrative his stuff stays with me better than any RWN show does, for better or worse. Part of the reason he slowed down even further was the book he wrote, which is pretty good but I think people who like RWN can safely skip it / won't get much from it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah he wasn't going to be all rah rah Trump and also wasn't excited about Democrats' RESISTANCE response and he's not a leftist so he didn't really have a team to root for after his erstwhile team turned out to be essentially fictional. He probably knows his takes are just going to alienate chunks of listeners at this point, the fact that large swaths of the country hate each other is I think what he's most worried about and nobody really has a fix for that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(I really enjoyed like the 3rd Annibale episode. I had a hell of a time parsing his accent / slightly stilted English for some reason and it took a bit before my brain could do the hash table, but your mileage may vary.)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Doing stuff like that under time pressure sitting on an airport floor, I totally could imagine getting scammed (depending on how competent the scam site is).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I remember the first time I was in a car where i had to press the brake to start it I was confused enough to resort to looking it up on my phone.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, my civil war / reconstruction education was awful in high school in AP history. Like yeah it's high school so no complaints about detail stuff but it was VERY both-sides-y, and this wasn't even in the south it was in Denver.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I think I heard 3 Annibale episodes before my brain started doing the language math but I'm bad at that sort of thing

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
yeah not disagreeing with thread consensus and I think they'll settle eventually, but: there is something weird that happens to us when we get old where it's easier to do what we've been doing our whole lives, even if what we've been doing is loving up and objectively much more difficult than what most people do.

edit: he wasn't always "loving up", of course, he was moving job to job. I just mean even when you want to change course later in life sometimes it takes a few gently caress ups to stick. A normal person would be desperate to make sure the paperwork worked out so they didn't have to uproot their entire life, he's kind of just going through the motions because moving is what he's used to.

pangstrom has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Jan 31, 2023

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean he had a speculative take that Boris Johnson was the primary mover who scotched them for domestic political purposes. Agree that he does seem pretty guarded in general, though, I get the sense that he wants to come on to say some specific things he feels confident about and puckers at the juicer questions.

edit: regarding Nord Stream sabotage, I was hoping he would speculate on the role of western petroleum companies who, very predictably, made out HUGE. Doesn't mean they leaned on anybody to make it happen, but they definitely have successfully leaned on governments/militaries for much lower stakes.

pangstrom has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah Mark gave like the strongest "gun to my head" disclaimer. I thought he was wrong at the time but anyone can get in the weeds sometimes and he was admitting in real time he was in the weeds.

Echoing that Sy Hersh is triple threat cantankerous, like rubber first meeting the road cantankerous, lapping second place cantankerous, and drifting through the final corner on your rims cantankerous.