Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

pearls before swine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

the story about lister and wiess on the bus in the latest episode is :stare:

back when I stared listening I was a bit confused about why ames and dolan ragged on those two so incessantly, but holy moly they are really very bad people

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That is a good one, also the earlier episode with Forbes, talkin about the civil war.

If you're a chapo subscriber and don't listen to RWN every week then you're doing it wrong.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They got sidetracked right before Forbes was gonna go in-depth on Guns of The South, and they never got back to it in the Sci-Fi episode. :qq:

If there's one thing I won't forgive Ames for, it's cutting that discussion short. God that book is bonkers.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I think october.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah he follows Dolan's Brecher account on facebook.

I spent a few days in Sarajevo this past summer, but without a lot of knowledge of the conflict besides the broad strokes. As a tourist you're inundated with stuff about the siege. They're still living the consequences of the war and the memories are still fresh. There's not a lot of hope for the future amongst the youth - I heard 65% unemployment while I was there, the internet says 57% as of a couple years ago - and pretty much every building is still pocked with shrapnel. It's such a stark contrast with Croatia-the-EU-member and its polished coastal party-tourist economy. Sausalito may not have been great digs for a farmer 200 years ago, but the Bosnians I spoke to certainly seemed a bit envious of the current situation. There also seemed to be quite a fair amount of nostalgia for communism amongst the older crowd, while a lot of younger people felt that tourism is likely the most realistic chance for economic development. They're right, too. It's a great place to visit.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Seriously nuts. I'm glad ames and dolan covered a lot of the broad strokes before because it's making the whole picture much clearer when Parry lays it out. Nixon makes so much more sense now.

Mega lol that Trump's "but they wiretapped me!" strategy has precedent.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Carl owns.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

*posts 700 words about interesting geopolitical incident that most people have never heard of, includes a bunch of photographs of the hardware and people involved, notes cultural influences and long-term impacts*

*caps it off with pre- and post-incident anthropomorphic battleship moe girls*

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

buddy that is perfection

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm about 1/3 of the way into the war nerd Iliad, and its great. Really nails the tone of 'bloody modern campfire oral myth'. Dolan's voice comes through strong, and you could read this to a group of unsuspecting scouts raised on GoT and have them riveted.

Make sure you do all the voices though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

there was a good extended Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy bit in an ep from I think this spring. would have been late April early may-ish iirc

I remember exactly where I was when I listened to it but not which ep it was

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Brown Moses just got hit with a Full Mark Ames:

quote:

Some of the best known Syria regime-change hustlers and “experts”—Eliot Higgins of Bellingcat and the Saudi-funded Atlantic Council; Charles Lister of the Saudi-funded Middle East Institute, former CNN “Syria expert” and Atlantic Council fellow Michael Weiss, all major figures promoting today’s RussiaGate hysteria—together helped transform the @ShamiWitness account from a cretinous troll into a credible “ISIS expert”.

http://exiledonline.com/shamiwitness-when-bellingcat-neocons-collaborated-with-the-most-influential-isis-propagandist-on-twitter/

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

once you get those google alert push notifications going it's like your interns never have to log off

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I wonder what their respective budgets are like. The saudis have oil money and their mosques are everywhere but there's still a lot of dough floating around evangelical circles.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/november/where-evangelicals-donate-most-ecfa-ministry-giving-tuesday.html

quote:

Giving continues to rise for many categories of ministry, according to new research released today by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).

An analysis of the finances of more than 1,800 of its accredited members found a 2.2 percent rise in cash contributions from 2015 to 2016 (the latest year available). This group also saw a 3.6 percent rise in non-cash giving, which includes income such as government grants or real estate.

That adds up to $16.2 billion of giving—$12.6 billion in cash and $3.6 billion in non-cash—to evangelical ministries in 2016.

However they only show year-over-year changes to different spending categories, not absolute amounts.

I wonder how much central coordination there is among evangelical groups and how it compares to Wahhabi/Salafist groups? My gut feel is that it's more distributed but there's still probably lots of informal coordination through conferences and other organizations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

good point, then the actual missions just have to be the peace corps out winning hearts and minds and spreading the good word

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

just flicking through quickly, there’s a lot of good ones.

hezbollah eps with Amal saad, Iran war scenarios, the sci fi and fascism ep is a classic, interviews with William Hogeland are great early American history, Carl Zha’s uigher eps, eps 123 and 124 are just a crazy story and a great peek into Rojava

pick something that sounds interesting and it probably is

Spime Wrangler has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Dec 15, 2018

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

once you spend enough time in academia to realize everyone else is an impostor, how can you ever be sure you arent?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

coathat posted:

I hope Dolan writes a travel book

i totally understand people's financial woes, but at the same time we need to get this thing up to flight-to-central-african-republic-tier money

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

it didn’t do enough work for the Reagan administration or Atlantic council to pop up on the radar

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

millennium challenge 2019 is gonna be a hoot

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

think tank nerd giving the game away back in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LKmhDRWFc

scope 2:53 and 5:51

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

coathat posted:

He should write a book on travel. I'd buy it

chapter six: the best countries for getting an abscess lanced when you’re broke and can’t speak the local language

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

visa war plus the "writer" application getting thrown in the scrutiny pile sounds pretty plausible

if they're at all interested in denying applications for either reason it can't be hard to justify rejecting the author of "Indians and Pakis Too Faggy For War" who's been reporting about nearby communist insurgencies and kashmiri separatism

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

DrPop posted:

Hahaha was that really the title? gently caress

Yeah, writing in full character as Gary Brecher back in 2002, republished 2008, fifth google result for "john dolan writer kashmir"

http://exiledonline.com/war-nerd-called-it-indians-and-pakis-too-faggy-for-war/all/1/

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

it’s Gary Brechers all the way down

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So about the show, this new episode on McLellan is a real eye opener for me, because it sounds like an open and shut case that he was a traitor. I like to think I know a lot about the civil war because I went through the civil war buff phase as a kid - but really most of what I learned was revisionist history shaped by a white consensus.

i like to think i have a very low opinion of the american elite and its always delightful to learn that there is indeed always more and it in turn is always worse

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

getting at the real questions, like is Stonewall Jackson on a horse with an AK47 a technical?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I hate to interrupt, but our viewers want to know, John, have you tried pulling the handle up?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

truly a cautionary tale for all sub-sapient life forms out there

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

azov division

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

hottest unionist civil war podcast crossover event of the season incoming

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Mark Ames on Facebook posted:

Posted this on twitter, where I've been glued for the last few days. When you're wrong, you're wrong.

I was wrong about Putin's strategic intentions, wrong with a good crowd that's been very useful to me over many years, and continue to be — people like exiled dissident journalists Leonid Bershidsky and Leonid Ragozin, along with a lot of other Russians and gone-native Russia-watchers who got this wrong. We -- I -- held to assumptions based on watching, reporting, researching, living in & thinking about Russia over the past few decades. (I should say that we all disagree on a lot of stuff, the Leonids for example are far more viscerally anti-Kremlin than I, and more sympathetic to the Maidan revolution, but none of us believed this is the sort of thing that fits Putin's profile). Anyway, those assumptions no longer work, and I'm not going to pretend I've already got it figured out which assumptions will work from here on out.
This time it's the very worst ghouls who got it right for once in their sleazy careers, after getting everything wrong without fail since the start of the century. There's Robert Kagan, Vicky Nuland's husband, who just published a big piece a couple of days ago in the WaPo about the impending mass invasion. Normally I'd take that as the final proof that Putin was about to do the very opposite of what Kagan predicted—if Kagan predicts invasion, experience says it really means Putin is about to quit the Kremlin to join Code Pink. The Kagan Clan and the Atlantic Council get paid for being wrong, but I suspect they'll get extra bonuses from their sponsors for getting something right for once (and for helping catalyze the current shitshow by designing Biden's hawkish Ukraine policy a year ago, which we've gone over).

God knows I don't want to absolve Putin in any way here. It's true that the US and NATO are big partners in this nightmare; they've done all they could to provoke a crisis assuming they could slowly creep and bleed it out, and when the Kremlin gave extra- serious signals last year that something big would happen, Biden responded with the same feckless diplomacy and distracted attention that's characterized his Admin's zombified domestic political program, whatever's left of it anyway. I think Putin, who has clearly built up a volcano's worth of grievances, understood Biden's feckless inertia as an active gently caress you, and Putin was clearly waiting for just that. He wants to bomb big, and Ukraine is the live demonstration board. Putin has all the "agency" imaginable here. He could have chosen a whole range of responses, none of them pretty, but none of them anywhere near as violent and dangerous and widespread as this one. This is what he wants; the US provoked, but it's Putin, and very much not-metonymy Putin but Putin with his supporters, who is bombing the poo poo out of Ukraine. My family has good friends in Kiev; one of my wife's best friends is huddling with her 3 children in their apartment as I'm writing this, too afraid to go out to the nearest bomb shelter, and her ex-husband is too afraid to come help with the children, he's huddling in his apartment building. Most of my wife's close friends from Moscow came from Ukraine, so it's just hard to fathom. Полный пиздец.

The world is going to be a much much worse place for everyone. No lessons will be learned. Or rather, only the worst lessons will be learned, by and for the worst people. US intelligence credibility restored; neocon credibility restored; progressive agendas, such as they were still possible, gone; the GOP is going to pillory Biden and the Dems as weak, as taken advantage of by Putin, turning Russiagate on its ugly head. NATO's gonna get very extra NATO. Ukraine is hosed. The worse, the worse-er, all around.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

"not sure why our paperwork got denied"

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

are we not gathered round a dumpster fire, where we have spent these many long years and more??

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

“We will bring an end to it,” Biden said. “I promise you. We will be able to do it.”

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

drat that was some high octane interviewing

a coup to get hersh and a coup to get hersh to talk about how he found and validated some of his sources

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

hope hersh isn't to hard on ames when his doc drops lol

very much looking forward to watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Phone posted:

the people who go to hersh probably have slightly better op sec than reality winner

*disgruntled senior cia official flips the PRISM switch to "off", sends email*