Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm sorry but this article is maybe a bit too positive towards Limonov http://exiledonline.com/moscow-babylon-free-edward-limonov/

The connection between Mark Ames and Strasserism might not extend beyond this but it's still not a good look

I don't know if you can effectively determine what's a good look in 2019 based on an article from nearly 18 years ago.

I just got the impression that it was a general lament to the eventual corruption of his punk icons by capitalism and the trappings of the bourgeoisie, compared to the purity of Limonovs straightforward unabashed contrarianism.

That medium article is some horseshoe theory bullshit .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

also tbh while the exile did some good work everyone involved was better once they moved on

Yeah, it's just surprising to me how bad people are at taking set and setting into account when reading what are effectively articles from a different (pre-911) era, where capitalism had won and history was over as far as everyone was concerned.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

John Dolan is a leftist.

Also a lapsed catholic, a failed meth cook, an ex republican(the Irish kind), an apostate right winger and a disillusioned poet.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think it's a joke, he's probably trying to go on chapo.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

which was a gang of nunchaku-wielding psychopaths trying to crack leftist skulls.

or as Mark would say, Num-chucks

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

genericnick posted:

The real crime was the editing of his old cast. "We will cut this part out" indeed.

A real spy/disinformation officer would be good with recording equipment.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I listen to the occasional episode of Sofrep radio if the guest or topic looks interesting. The newest one about Bowe Bergdahl is worth a listen. I'd like to hear the guest taking to Mark and John.

https://sofrepradio.com/episode-452-author-michael-ames-gets-into-the-real-story-behind-bowe-bergdahl/

https://www.amazon.com/American-Cipher-Bergdahl-Tragedy-Afghanistan/dp/0735221049

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

nonathlon posted:

I got the same problem: can log into Patreon but can't find the page listing the url. I've been listening to the embedded podcasts instead.

There is no page listing the url on patreon for some reason, it goes out in the newsletters that John sporadically sends.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Russian troll farm posted:

I read Pleasant Hell last week and there was a part where he described one of his middle school daydream fantasies in which the enemy has taken over his town and they're all lined up being marched to their deaths. They're in queue to be machine-gunned and thrown into a mass grave. And he just happens to be in line behind the cool hippie girl he has a crush on, and while all the jocks who bullied him are breaking down into tears and exposing themselves as weak moral cowards, John just calmly says something like "yeah, sounds like a tripod mounted heavy machine gun, probably an M60. You can tell from the evenness of the bursts" and she's impressed by his stoicism and knowledge and finally falls in love with him

Needless to say, I sympathized more with that than anything else I have ever read

Johns delivery when reading the audiobook makes every chapter of Pleasant Hell emotionally torturous for me to listen to, as it would for what i imagine to be a very high percentage of War Nerd listeners.
I had to pause it a regularly both from laughing and feeling like i was being sucked into a black hole of empathic embarrassment over my similar thought processes as an insane war obsessed kid and teenager. often both at once

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

John was probably the wrong person to read his own work imo, because he makes it sound a lot sadder and more regretful than it should read. It's a seriously funny book.

I've read it but after listening to him read the chapter about the stained glass depot job i bought the audiobook. Its the only one i've ever listened to, normally i can't stand them.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

Dolan, you can't pull RSS feeds you will regret this!

the new link is in the last newsletter

StashAugustine posted:

listening to the old ep with the photographer in kurdistan, i might pick up the book, anyone have it?

There's a good interview with him on Popular Front from last year, he's a little more relaxed with the host than he was with Mark and John

https://soundcloud.com/popularfrontcast/03-portrait-photography-on-the-rojava-frontlines

echomadman has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Aug 23, 2019

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hedenius posted:

I'd never heard of Matt Farwell before listening to the new episode and my mental image of "college drop-out who joins the mobile infantry" was way off.

I posted a while back about an interview on sofrep radio about that book, and thought the author seemed very different in this interview. Turns out there's two authors and oddly sofrep talked to the journalist and war nerd talked to the soldier.

https://sofrepradio.com/episode-452-author-michael-ames-gets-into-the-real-story-behind-bowe-bergdahl/

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bastaman Vibration posted:

maybe its because I heard the sofrep one first, when it came out a few months ago, but I thought it was slightly more informative than this recent RWN. However, Matt Farwell's pretty drat funny and an entertaining dude I'd wanna hang out with. so hopefully he's got some more tricks up his sleeve and they can bring him on again in the future

Yeah Ames (the other one) went into a lot more detail on Bergdahl's life and stayed pretty much on topic in the Sofrep interview. Farwell kept getting sidetracked with random anecdotes and answering Marks questions, which was entertaining. He seems to be a war nerd fanboy. It'd be good to have him back if they do more stuff on Afghanistan, he seems to have a good insight into the political shenanigans going on around it.

Sofrep had some rebuttals\responses to the book\interview from other vets on a later episode but they seemed to be from the perspective of guys who were on the ground and not really aware of the brass's machinations to run as many missions as possible off the back of Bergdahl's disappearance even if there was no likelihood of finding him. They were pretty much 'gently caress bergdahl, my buddy got killed while we were out looking for his stupid rear end' which is also a fair point given that if he hadn't done it then those guys wouldn't have had any excuse to get their men KIA'd.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What are the all time best episodes of this show?

I really liked the "Iran War Scenarios" ep. Do they ever do any episodes on an example of that really happening, where a small country with homegrown tech annihilates a goliath superpower bloated with its own perception of itself?

The episode about the actual Iran-Iraq war is great if you havent heard it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hope they have Nasser on again sometime soon.

https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1178304291213365248

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
In the newest episode at the start, John talks about going to Venice and worries about climate change.

https://www.thejournal.ie/venice-flooded-high-tides-4889448-Nov2019/

The man must have pissed off an old gypsy at some point he's so cursed.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Drexler posted:

Folks I’ve taken the excellent advice of this thread and subscribed, can I listen anywhere besides on the patreon app? It’s terrible; it doesn’t save your place and each episode takes half the screen as you scroll through them.

sorry for the dumb question I’m a big dum dum when it comes to this sort of thing

Because John and Mark are bad at computers, the rss link only gets sent out in the newsletters, instead of being available on the patreon page. There's one due any day now.

They change it occasionally, when they see the number of downloads vastly exceeding the number of subscribers i guess.

Joementum posted:

Honestly, someone needs to make a John Dolan travel show. Just him stuck in hotel rooms around the world being a sad sack while paying too much for food delivery and having the locals try to sell him on timeshares. Every season finale he has to get to the airport before the local police find out that he made fun of their ancestors dying in a pike charge a thousand years ago in an article from 1998.

I think i said it before in the thread but the chit chat parts of the episodes should be free, with the guest chat and their own deep dives paywalled. i think it would bump the listenership a lot.
They got hit with a ton of the most common scams in that lovely hotel in Sri Lanka, 'No we dont take cards for the whole payment, you have to pay cash up front now, i'll drive you to the atm'

https://katherinedolanwrites.blog/2019/12/25/hotel-california-with-an-indian-ocean-view/

echomadman has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Jan 6, 2020

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
:laffo: Johns adventures in trapping himself with unopenable doors continue in Bangkok.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.thejournal.ie/schools-and-pubs-to-close-in-northern-ireland-as-region-set-for-four-weeks-of-restrictions-5232702-Oct2020/

I wonder if John has left Belfast yet or if he's trapped on the Falls Road for a month now.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sephyr posted:

Who was this Natalya Sev(something) person Ames mentioned in #360 that was arrested in russia, got a ton of awards and hailed as a freedom avatar, then went full anti-semite? Audio isn't clear and my research is not turning up reliable results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadiya_Savchenko

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

uninterrupted posted:

overcast does this thing where they auto detect and skip over pauses in dialogue.

Podcast Addict does it too and tracks your time saved.

https://i.imgur.com/g5qltwV.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

this John Dark character