Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All of them.

I'm looking through the backlog to see which ones were especially noteworthy. A lot of them get dated because the early episodes were a lot more topical, and only an hour long.

Episode 10 is interesting, because that was the episode when War Nerd commented on Amnesty International's report about YPG/J ethnic cleansing of Arab villages, and AI wrote back saying they weren't doing any of that.

Episode 14 was around the time of the Oregon Militia standoff, so they did a bit about the Mormons' history of warfare with Midwest Protestants & the Federal government.

Episode 18 was the Patrick Cockburn interview on the rise of ISIS.

Episode 20 was the Tim Shorrock interview on Korea, and the history of conflict with the North.

As I'm writing this I'm realizing that my War Nerd fandom is gonna lead me into recommending too much so I'm gonna try and recommend the essentials. I'm just going to bold all the key words.

Episode 30 was the Opium Wars episode.

Episode 39 is about the Cold War counterinsurgencies around the world, with a special feature on Eduard Lansdale - the CIA sociopath who was the inspiration for The Quiet American.

Episode 44: the Nukes episode with physicist Dr. Sunil Sanais. It was recommended earlier ITT and it's a good one.

Episode 47: the North Carolina Civil War episode with David Forbes (prequel to the Sci-Fi & Fascism ep).

Episode 48: I know I'm recommending too much anyway, but this is a top-tier episode about The Italian Front of WW1, and poet, national hero, and raging rear end in a top hat Gabriele d'Annunzio.

Episode 49: is the second Patrick Cockburn interview.

Pretty much everything past this point has been definitely worth listening too, but I'd especially highlight episode 56: The Sikhs.

And of course, Episode 64: The Sci-Fi & Fascism episode is the god tier.

Thank you!

I think this podcast is excellent and I loved the new one about Bosnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I had to marathon listen to the last two venice episodes just to catch up. Good stuff.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It finally happened to me. In what I hope will become a war nerd tradition, I was momentarily locked in the bathroom at work today

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Listening to them take a victory lap about Russiagate was fun but also scary because I kinda forgot how insane everyone was over that.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Really like Mark Ames griping about Joshua Foust being a giant piece of poo poo and telling us about how tried to destroy Foust's life and then Glenn Greenwald came to Foust's defense.

The 2011 stuff is by far the most interesting part of the Kazakhstan episode.

Agree, very interesting stuff

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

crepeface posted:

it's extremely good.

my friends think I'm a world politics genius for understanding that other countries and regions have internal concerns

Yeah it's kind of weird that I get so much information from a podcast. I often wonder what my opinions and concerns would be if I hadn't basically just lucked out and started listening.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Also this guy Ben Aris sounds like Molloy the Springfield Cat Burglar.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
IF you can afford it in these crazy times, the podcast is worth the money. The community is pretty fun too. John Dolan wished me happy birthday on facebook once and that was pretty cool

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I might have made a mistake

It's understandable. Everything is chaotic right now and it's hard to make sense of things. I did not read anything in support of Putin's actions in the recent episode though.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It was a really good episode. I am not too concerned about their predictions being wrong. The guest Ben was able to explain a lot of the sanctions stuff and the effects they may have in a way that was easy for me to understand (I'm not that smart).

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The new newsletter is John's overview of The White Guard, and it's a stupendous read.

Yup. The new episode is also really good.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I'm glad he seems to have fully recovered, but I was wondering when Dolan was going to catch covid given all the traveling he has to do.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The material impact of campism blinkering journalism was a really good point to bring up. If you hate liberals but are still a materialist there's no ready made audience for that.

Yeah I thought the episode was going to be a little gossipy for me but I found a lot of what they had to say pretty interesting.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Phone posted:

what an absolute ball buster lmao

5/5 interview

It really is! Goddamn Hersh is hard as gently caress.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I thought it was an interesting interview. But I am dumb as poo poo and I don't know anything about Georgia.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

the older I get the more I parasocially identify with them lol

John Dolan wished me a happy birthday on facebook a few years ago and it made my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I finished my copy of Erdogan Pizza a few days ago. I remember listening to an episode during the very start of the pandemic where Dolan mentions losing his balance and falling off of a bicycle. Learning why it kept happening was pretty funny, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. If it was in a newsletter, it's one I haven't read.