Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Just got my hands on a copy of Dolan's book "Poetic Occasion," which while not war related looks like it's going to be a pretty great read. Old anglo poets vying to be top dog of the funeral game sounds like it will be well and good fun.

Any ideas when his translation/retelling of the works of Homer is going to get published?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I liked that episode on the Iran-Iraq war. Really sets up how the Iran invasion that both US political parties and the defense industry have been twitching in anticipation to start is going to be kind of a poo poo show.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

wait so i have continually pay to get access to the podcast?

Think of it as paying to keep Dolan out of the Canadian slums/Northern Iraq/an East Timor prison camp.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

The Dolans are going to move into the Cum Town apartment. "It's no Kurdistan," he said wistfully.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

coathat posted:

It was good but they should really have Mark on since he loves botching about lovely journalists even more than them.

They really should just give them the Shame Project, it's what they do anyway.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

McFate published a book on cultural anthropologists in wartime a couple of months ago. I'm a bit behind on the show, did that get mentioned at all?

I figured they might want to hate read it or joke about it, but since it's currently sitting unreviewed on Amazon they might just enjoy leaving it there forgotten.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

dinoputz posted:

yeah the article was great. goddamn I miss NSFWCorp. still saving the print editions in the hopes they'll be worth something to some collector someday... but honestly i got more enjoyment of the podcast version even after i had read those. the funny anecdotes get left out in the article reveal more of the personal poo poo. but yeah dolan's a great writer. has anyone read his 'Pleasant Hell'? i was wondering whetther to order that or not for a bus trip i got planned

Anyone who would actually seek out Pleasant Hell is already a Dolan fan and will greatly enjoy Pleasant Hell.

During a college forensics tournament, I did his story about working at a glass factory. That's a fun one too.

I do not recommend reading Dolan's book on English romantic poets, though, unless you already are really, REALLY into English romantic poets. I thought I was, but boy was I wrong.

I would still like to read his dissertation on the Marquis De Sade.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

We really do need to compile these into a list.

Dolan locks himself in an Italian bathroom.

College aged Dolan fails to run a speed lab.

Dolan turns an Albanian village against him and his wife.

Dolan ends up fired from an American run university in Iraq when neocons realize who he is.

Dolan ends up run out of East Timor when he accidentally insults the genocide collaborators employing him.

Young John Dolan takes a job at glass factory, repeatedly dropping glass panes on himself leading to blood and job loss.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

"John gets a job at the glass factory" was my favorite part, but there are a lot of great moments.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Occasionally the part of Pleasant Hell where he worked at a glass supplier pops into my head.

I read that entire segment as a piece in various speech competitions during college. No one ever really 'got' it, but I had fun.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Woke up to over twenty posts in the RWN thread and genuinely feared for John’s life before opening.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Retarded Goatee posted:

I cant think of a person more deserving of making bank from podcasting than John

For real, I think John's clear analysis on how dumb and shortsighted everyone involved in the invasion of Iraq was, combined with taking down lovely modern 'literary' icons like James Frey, did more to keep me from some dumb, toxic worldviews than anything else. Barring extraordinary circumstances or job loss, the War Nerd has my subscription for the rest of John's life even when I don't have time to listen. This is the only tithe I pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

God drat, when he wants to Dolan can still just effortlessly shred someone.