Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

latest episode goes into detail on the situation in xinjiang. this jibes with what i've heard about it from people who've visited recently

this was a great interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

alright i'm new to the podcast and it's way less dry than i was expecting. are there some definitive episodes to look out for or should i just go down the list and click the interesting topics? they're all interesting, help

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

coathat posted:

I think it’s because they’ve been covering stuff that they’re really into. And speaking of that the next episode is going to be about Sparta with the guy they interviewed for the Athenian Sicily invasion

this was a good ep, as was the spanish-american war one (where they spent most of it on the phillippines), and the pakistan election ep. their correspondent on that one is very good

in the half-dozen episodes i've listened to, i've heard ames reference specific events from the original austin powers like three times. he's so gen x

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Austin Powers was a seminal film in my family.

i didn't think it was that raunchy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When John was a big Irish Republican guy, he was basically a committed American nationalist. He and Mark both had phases of young adulthood where they were right wingers.

yeah so what was dolan like in the early 90s under thatcher/major? i think volker linked a 2002 essay in a d&d thread that seemed a lil flippant

also i don't hear an accent, so was he just like a boston irish guy or whatever? gotta admit the last year of shows of him saying "ohhh, we have to go from turin to syracuse is haaard" is offputting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh yeah, i remember dolan talking about memorizing the missions

how in hell did he end up in republican politics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i don't know a ton of irish politics but know that sinn fein has emerged as the explicit left-wing party in both the republic and NI

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Also what 2002 essay? Was he writing as himself or in character as brecher?

i think it was a followup to this with the headline something like "the faggots back down"

again i'm new, so what's the difference between dolan and brecher? is there a bit or is it just a pen name

edit here we go http://exiledonline.com/war-nerd-called-it-indians-and-pakis-too-faggy-for-war/all/1/

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 09:45 on Dec 20, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dreylad posted:

gary brecher was a character conceived as a pen pusher in some california tech/military industrial company who spent his spare time reading every Jane's publication ever written. everything the character wrote is from that perspective. think grover without the death house.

okay that makes sense

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

One of the consistent themes that Mark beats is that these vampires never go away. It seemed like the Neocons were defeated in the wake of the original Bush losing to Clinton, only to come back in force with Bush II and later again now as Never Trumpers. So long as there's money behind them they never loving go away.

There are neocon nevertrumpers, cabinet officials and Democrats now lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chapo is cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsdPdlcrEcE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you don't like the editorial voice of "Gary Brecher," the Radio War Nerd podcast doesn't use it at all. You should listen to the Sci Fi & Fascism episode if you want to get a sense of their genuine politics.

thanks for explaining this a lil; i'm still new to the podcast (i read some exile right near the beginning of my internet awakening but i was too dumb to understand satire when i was 17) and having ames introduce dolan as brecher each ep is confusing for someone not totally familiar with the last, yikes, quarter-century

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there a blackwolf or not? i haven't listened for two months since i got poor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

looks like a whole new episode on Nigeria was posted.

Aaaand I'm back in. Spend it well, you sick old fart

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Anyone else underwhelmed with the Nigeria episode? Felt like more of the episode was spent on US politics, when the audio was even parsable. Also got the vibe of real trash progressive/liberal electioneering insights, but that's the risk you run into when covering an election I guess.

Paraguay episode was lit tho

I almost subscribed because I heard about this ep. If it's not in depth as all hell, I'm good. Nigerian politics owns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

snoremac posted:

I haven’t listened to the Nigerian ep but it reminds me of a comment John once wrote that intrigued me that if not foreign exploitation Nigeria would be a massively successful country on a scale with the big dogs.

sorta. it's still a colonial amalgation. the more northern muslim areas had the sokoto empire until relatively recently, but the ethnic groups in the "south-south" of the country hate the others to the north and west and are generally separatist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Igbo have had a long history of independence before the British made them one big country with the Yoruba, Hausa, and Fulani. Also keep in mind, people may resent Hausa for stupid reasons but the Nigerian army literally starved Biafra into submission, and Igbo & Yoruba who move to the north to make money get killed fairly regularly. It's not like they just hate each other for nothing.

yeah, i have friends that also complain that "their oil" goes to financiers in kano. the most recent issue the last two years has been fulani herdsmen encroaching on igbo cropland around yobe. the sahel is a lovely place for herding and they dive south as far as they can until people start fighting back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

hey plutonis you really paying for this poo poo? i know ur a filthy thirld world pirate like i am gimme dat link

yeah I haven't been able to go blackwolf in months

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

thinking about how much it must've owned to be a 15th century artilleryman slaying knights with 15 pound shot from a culverin

gunpowder owns. I wish I worked in one of the horse piss factories

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bastaman Vibration posted:

apparently Ames did not share John's legendary affinity for those glossy monthly picture books

i love old natgeos, mostly for gleaning popular sentiment and some basic foreign policy out of the articles. i've got several from the late eisenhower through kennedy era, including one on the saudis which is a riot

the ads are also bizarre too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phone posted:

lmao human rights watch calling the houthi attack "an apparent war crime"

i wonder if any pro-nazi civilians died in the warsaw uprising

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

John: so who would you say is the Mao of the Night Elf world? Do they have a working theory of guerilla war?

the blood elves were clearly the proletariat of wow vanilla. genocided because of actions by corrupt leadership

the undead and the gnomes are the only factions untainted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

like many victors, the orcs forgot they won the first war. the alliance never forgot, and in many ways is still fighting it.

lol jesus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not many other podcast kids can describe the shame of using food stamps on gas station food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

phone imgur sucks rear end

edit: finally at a computer: from last night. my local fence rat gave me a look that i perceive to be suggestive

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 10:07 on Jul 19, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Unnamed One posted:

Has Dolan watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Seems like it’d be something right up his alley.

In his facebbok post about NGE the comments were begging him to watch that, titan and lodoss. I've never watched a mecha or space opera anime, not sure I can tell those apart

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god you loving pussies. i always broke the school shooter's neck with my hands from behind

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but i never get the girl

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The War Nerd community is bound to have a bunch of cranks, so you should also keep that in mind.

lol are you confusing chronic lyme with real lyme disease or do you actually believe it's real

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

did dolan ever post anything about evangelion besides that he was going to watch it due to reccomendations, and a few lines that seemed sympathetic towards the angels?

if so, where can i read more?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2371174149872813&id=100009407541064

oh, just twenty times more likes and comments than he usually gets

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't care. afaik "chronic lyme" was never even mentioned in that episode.

oh i didn't even click the link. i don't remember them making a distinction in the episode between real lyme and chronic lyme either

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whoa

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new episode is my shiiiiiiiiiiit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm friends with goodluck jonathan's sister in law who is a diehard biafran nationalist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

super excited to see 33 new posts about maiduguri itt but alas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There was an article posted not too long ago in I think the Middle East thread, and the conclusion was that because we've soured relations with Turkey, the Iraqi government, and invading through Afghanistan isn't possible with an active insurgency - the only place left to invade Iran through is the Persian Gulf. Which as we've established, is the absolute worst way to invade.

the nagorno-karabakh gambit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shakenbaker posted:

I only managed to get through about half of the interview yesterday before work got too stupid for me to pay attention but what I did hear was interesting. I really didn't know much of anything about Boko Haram beyond the standard western media "these are some more of those bad Muslims, you know the sort" so it caught me off guard when she was talking about the occult aspects. I don't know much about Nigeria either so finding out that there's a few hundred ethnicities there threw me for a loop. And the Brits are involved because of course they are.

I lived in what's called the Middle Belt, where none of the three major ethnic groups has a majority presence. It was insane how many languages I could hear spoken, and a reason why pigin is so popular.

coathat posted:

Disappointed that the guest grew up in America so she didn’t have an accent but luckily there was a torrential rain to make the audio interesting.
I was interested in listening with a critical ear. It seems that she was aware of but still bought into the different stereotypes between hausa and igbo. She said she understood that the igbo were the first and most enthusiastic participants in british colonialism. There are very legitimate grievances in the north that igboland has the best schools, most productive land, all the oil and the most impressive diaspora.

She never mentioned that of the two main parties, goodluck Jonathan's has a power base in igboland, is economically liberal and socially conservative. Buhari's party of the north and west represent the poorest citizens, is somewhat leftist/anticolonial in economic policy and is ambivalent socially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gerry Markovich Ames

lmao hell yes