Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

However, the other versions of that crystal that the rest of her group have do work without prayer. Really it's more a case of "your crystal doesn't work if you don't pray" rather than "your crystal only works when you pray", it's Being X being a dick rather than granting power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Her crystal is a one of a kind prototype I'm pretty sure.

E: it's basically a bomb, the thing is unstable and has too much power. But when it miraculous works it has too much power

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

However, the other versions of that crystal that the rest of her group have do work without prayer. Really it's more a case of "your crystal doesn't work if you don't pray" rather than "your crystal only works when you pray", it's Being X being a dick rather than granting power.
If i remember right, her group has twin-crystals based off of her failed quad-crystal design

vvvvv Well, the regulars are supposed to be single core and her elite use a fancy dual core vvvvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 23, 2017

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, her's is the only one that's a big sphere everyone else in her battalion has rectangles like the rest of the empire's mages.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The manga does have them receive new magical cores based off Tanya's experimental one.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
The LN goes into some detail about it. The quad-core design of the Type 95 was theoretically 4 times as powerful as a standard Computation Jewel. In theory it would take about 4 times as much mana to operate, but in practice the ridiculous inefficiency of it's design and the extra effort required to make it not instantly blow up ballooned that cost to more like 6x. Then there were the other practical issues, like risking hypothermia and hypoxemia from operating at heights of over 18000 feet. Those problems themselves had to be solved by either more magic (meaning more mana expenditure) or bulky equipment that would lower maneuverability and pose a serious risk if damaged in battle.

They say that it's not just "next generation", but several generations beyond anything they can practically accomplish, and the only reason the whole thing works period is because Deus Vult.

The Type 97's that the rest of her squad have are dual-core designs, which were derived as a compromise between the theoretical designs of Schugel and the constraints of what was practical. It's worth noting that they're still way the gently caress more advanced than anything anyone else is using.

e: Oh, I guess it's worth mentioning that part of what makes the Type 95 so nutso is that it can manifest mana physically, which was previously thought impossible (and it basically still is). That means Tanya can essentially "store" mana for later use, practically eliminating the usual limits mages have.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 23, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

You ain't leaving that Fox Hole Tanya!

Her break down at knowing that this is perhaps the worst possible outcome for the Empire strategically in the long term, presumably if the Americans and Russians eventually get dragged in to the war is pretty fun to watch.

It's interesting because in another type of show the protagonist would be like "Screw our orders, we're doing what's right!" But no matter how much it physically pains Tanya she appears to be physically unable to do so.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone clarify what happened there for me?
The republic surrendered the capital and their navy is fleeing. Now they announced a cease fire but that's not good enough for Tanya, so she personally wants to wipe out all the remaining forces?
I know it would probably be better for the empire in the long run, but that's kind of a weird approach. And why was she so surprised at this outcome?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cant cook creole bream posted:

The republic surrendered the capital and their navy is fleeing. Now they announced a cease fire but that's not good enough for Tanya, so she personally wants to wipe out all the remaining forces?
I know it would probably be better for the empire in the long run, but that's kind of a weird approach. And why was she so surprised at this outcome?

It isn't clear to me if the government like in 1940 lost control of Charles De Gaulle and the Free French forces or if the government is just playing for time but in either case:

Basically the army and navy is packing up and redeploying from mainland France to North Africa, where they are essentially out of reach of the Imperials because the Kingdom's navy is too powerful; even if the Republic pulls a Vichy France if the army won't obey and the army sets up a military occupation of the colonies there's nothing they can do.

Basically Tanya figures if the war isn't actually over and the Not British and Not French stick it out then history will probably repeat itself and she'll find herself on the losing end of the war and forced to keep fighting until she dies in combat or is handed over for potential war crimes.

e: Interesting from Wikipedia:

quote:

As a junior minister of the French government, he [De Gaulle] unsuccessfully opposed surrender, advocating instead that the government remove itself to Algeria (which was an integral part of France at the time) and carry on the war as best it could from France's African provinces and colonies.

So in many ways this history is playing out worse for not!Germany.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 24, 2017

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

The navy and army are fleeing to regroup with the Republic's allies to kick off World War Let's All Kick The Empire's rear end. Giving up the capital was a feint.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's Dunkirk all over again. I just realized it!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It was satisfying that the cranky guy got to see that Tanya was using the gun his daughter gave him. :)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure Being X is laughing his rear end off seeing Tanya knowing full well how hosed everything going to be. It's also make for a perfect opportunity to get Tanya to worship him.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Annointed posted:

I'm pretty sure Being X is laughing his rear end off seeing Tanya knowing full well how hosed everything going to be. It's also make for a perfect opportunity to get Tanya to worship him.

It felt like she was almost maybe in the very back of her mind thinking about it when she went into the church (I mean, no fatalities on that clusterfuck?) but then reason reasserted that it was being X's fault in the first place.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I read that scene as Tanya giving Being X the finger.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hahahahahahahahahaha.
It's interesting because in another type of show the protagonist would be like "Screw our orders, we're doing what's right!" But no matter how much it physically pains Tanya she appears to be physically unable to do so.
It feels like this scenario is tailor made to attack the weak-point of a ruthless salaryman's mindset. The time when you know something your boss is doing wrong but you have no authority or ability to avoid the trainwreck. And because Tanya is LE and is rational enough to control your impulses she psychologically is incapable of breaking the mindset that helped in her lives.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The thing is that everything is also Tanya's fault. She backsassed god to get put in the world. She proposed the task force for him to highlight her file when it was being made. He just steers things her way. I don't think the war's escalation can be blamed on Being X.
The only explicit fuckery that he's done is with the gem, in which he protects her. The point isn't to kill her after all. If anything being x has been her source of good fortune. It's her own rigidity and trying to game the system that gets her in trouble.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The thing is that everything is also Tanya's fault. She backsassed god to get put in the world. She proposed the task force for him to highlight her file when it was being made. He just steers things her way. I don't think the war's escalation can be blamed on Being X.
The only explicit fuckery that he's done is with the gem, in which he protects her. The point isn't to kill her after all. If anything being x has been her source of good fortune. It's her own rigidity and trying to game the system that gets her in trouble.

I'm not sure if Tanya blames Being X in general, certainly for bullshit that seems to single her out like the Finnish Colonel also having her abilities; although if after 'today' she starts to lose it and starts blaming every time she stubs her toe on MBX than hehahaha yeah gently caress yeah we're on the Leleuch bandwagon now.

The extent that Tanya is cursed by her own success is an interesting one, if she wasn't so desperate to get into the rear areas in safe role through the most "optimal" path of min-maxing her career she wouldn't have a literal target painted on her back; but might have also been a lot closer to death in certain ways.

It's kind of like Akagi, each time she wins she's forced to go double or nothing in a much more dangerous game; is Being X forcing this? Probably not, the social, economic, and strategic forces at place are what's driving it. Of course if she fights well she'll be picked for more dangerous assignments, of course if she's smart and tries to show boat to command her skills as a commander/operations person she'll be tasked to lead those assignments and so on.

Being X doesn't have to do anything, Being X can probably see the future and has a high enough WIS stat as a godlike being to know how Tanya and the General Staff/Politicians will act in most situations and only needs to nudge things every so often.

e:

Lets look at it another way, what happens if Tanya decides she wants to live, but doesn't cling desperately to any opportunity for it.

Tanya is smart, while it's probable she could get drafted if she doesn't enter the military, if she can wait until she's 18 then she avoids the current war nearly entirely*; if her actions don't result in the Empire winning decisively then the war also likely ends before she's drafted and she can safely either join the military voluntarily after the war is already over or any other career using her knowledge and intelligence to succeed in any other career path.

Likewise what if she still joins but decides to not actively pursue Command track? Doesn't become a test pilot? For all we know her initial deployment is because she's an rear end in a top hat and got relegated to what was supposed to be a out of the way front where she can't upset anyone important? What if she decides to just Meh her way through training? She's probably put somewhere else as unsuited.

She *could* also possibly just *surrender* to the Entente in Finland instead of fighting it out, then gets to stay out of the war as a POW after a brief fire fight.

In the Rhine front shortly after that fight in Sweden she also has that option to just surrender; or just continue to rely on her superior equipment, skills, and training to survive encounters and sustain minor injuries to stay in leave.

In the ASK/TELL Military History thread there's a German soldier who survives the entire war largely because he's constantly ill and his diaries are fascinating.

It's accepting command of her battalion that there's essentially no way back; maybe if she half assed the training her unit probably would've been rendered unfit for action after a few engagements against peer forces.

*Apparently she's 9 when she first enlists and apparently graduates her training in under a year, the war starts in 23. If she didn't enlist and presumably is instead drafted at 18 that would have given her nine years to sit things out; perhaps she would risk starving the death or what but with Mage talent perhaps she has a civilian way out before the military scoops her.

Addendum of course is if/when things start going really badly she might still be drafted into the equivalent of a Mage Volkssturm but by then the war is close to over and she can just surrender at the fight sign of trouble.

The thing that's really likely to screw over Tanya is to what extent she's this universes Joachim Peiper, right now it's about 50/50; her actions at the city with the partisans I don't think have any Nuremberg equivalent but her authoring the paper used by High Command to justify the operation puts her on a bad slope towards being arrested post war on charges of war crimes (If as things get desperate she's forced to do more unsavoury things to win, or more papers are used by Command to justify other operations).

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 25, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The problem with sitting out the war is she doesent trust being x to not gently caress her over and delay the war until she is exactly 18. Plus she had no idea when the war proper starts when she was 9. You also have to keep in mind she is a female orphan so her chances of hitting it big outside the army are slim. Where as she is blessed with a potent magic ability and the army dont care about your gender so for her its a natural choice for a get rich quick plan.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Iretep posted:

The problem with sitting out the war is she doesent trust being x to not gently caress her over and delay the war until she is exactly 18. Plus she had no idea when the war proper starts when she was 9. You also have to keep in mind she is a female orphan so her chances of hitting it big outside the army are slim. Where as she is blessed with a potent magic ability and the army dont care about your gender so for her its a natural choice for a get rich quick plan.

This is true. She also didn't get to where she was in her past life by ignoring potential opportunities like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just noticed but, is Tanya always sporting a pony tail when in uniform? Is she Kyonko?

Iretep posted:

I assume the war starts either way, but if she sits it out then it's likely the country loses the war before she's old enough to draft.

Briefest of googling but I believe Imperial Germany had free primary public education for both girls and boys particularly if they were poor; with a similar drive to succeed and pull herself up via her own "bootstraps", I think its certainly plausible that if she weren't so determined to maximize her efficiency to find "the good life" she might have found a significantly less dangerous way to avoid death.

Would Being X still have it out for Tanya? I'm kinda wondering just how much of his efforts are out of spite for Tanya succeeding despite all odds and how much effort Tanya is clearly putting in to out spite Being X back. A quieter way of life where she just ignores Being X might have avoided his more direct interventions and instead channeled it to more mundane efforts to poo poo on her life; like a fight with a drunk hooligan or getting her to move to Dresden in time to be fire bombed; basically just one quasi-natural disaster "act of god" after another she has to dodge at the last second like Anime Final Destination.

As it is now depending on what actions Tanya might be forced to take in her efforts to keep the Empire from losing the war might put her in a no-win scenario she can't escape.

Basically, if she instead chose the civilian life, then she's constantly rolling the dice and has to accept that maybe today's the day she falls in front of an oncoming train for the second time, instead she's forced into a chessshogi game where Being X is slowly setting up the board to checkmate in 200 moves and I think her freak out this ep is her realizing there might not be anyway out.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh, we're posting cosplays?

https://twitter.com/ketaro_ovn/status/844746042302087168

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

same girl :P

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Who's gonna bet the Russians take this opportunity for a backstab too?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

K Prime posted:

Who's gonna bet the Russians take this opportunity for a backstab too?

Appearntly they have a civil war going. Viktorya is a refugee from it or something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly they have a civil war going. Viktorya is a refugee from it or something.

I believe that's a reference to the October Revolution that would've happened in 1917 and is presumably over now with the Bolsheviks the victors.

In my post further above though the Soviets in this universe assuming they're following a vaguely similar development as historical should be something like at least a decade out from being effective combatants but who knows; maybe skipping out on WWI lets them speed up development and the 5 year plans significantly earlier.

If some makes a list of "10 Most BadAss Moments in Anime 2017 Edition" I want Viktoriya's shooting Sioux and clipping her commander to make the list. That takes some serious balls to take that shot considering how much she fears Tanya.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 25, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That did end up saving her life, so I think she's at least a little grateful.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

In my post further above though the Soviets in this universe assuming they're following a vaguely similar development as historical should be something like at least a decade out from being effective combatants but who knows; maybe skipping out on WWI lets them speed up development and the 5 year plans significantly earlier.

Everything seems to be developing much faster, at least in military tech.

E: caught up with the episode with the tanks. Yeah they look out of place, but half of it is the way they're rendered. Really hype for when my cheap rear end can see the latest episode

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

That did end up saving her life, so I think she's at least a little grateful.

I imagine she is yes, my impression is Tanya is slightly oblivious to the extent that people fear her (at least as far as the Mini eps are concerned); and in another sort of work that sort of fear would have led to her dying then and there as a result of it because her subordinates would have been too afraid to shoot.

Much like how Stalin died of a stroke because his guards were too afraid to check in on him because he made it clear he wasn't to be disturbed; and probably spent hours suffering before someone did.

Viktoriya going to pretty much any length to help Tanya though has been well hinted at and it's basically one of my favourite character moments in anime.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine she is yes, my impression is Tanya is slightly oblivious to the extent that people fear her (at least as far as the Mini eps are concerned);

In the manga at least there's no "slightly" about it - she's super loving oblivious about it, to the extent that she comes off as kinda stupid.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty well established why she acts like it too, which is amazingly well-done, I mean it's literally the reason why he was killed in the previous life.

She (Viktoriya) might ironically be the biggest contender to prevent Being X's plans from succeeding flawlessly.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, at this point it's worth mentioning Tanya misunderstanding things and getting misunderstood is a bigger source of trouble for her than X in the LN and manga (though the manga pushes it a bit further than the LN), at least for the part covered so far in the anime. In those versions of events, Zettour didn't get interested in her because of Being X's meddling but because Zettour had heard of her when Lehrgen tried to prevent her from getting to War College and when she encountered him by pure coincidence in the library she thought it was a prime opportunity to show off to a brigadier general and launched into her world war thing. There's also a misunderstanding regarding X's intentions but that may not be true in the anime given how he's got a much more antagonistic relationship with Tanya.

Been catching up on episodes, I discovered this series through the manga but I've gotta say the anime's grown on me, and it's really interesting to see the way the anime and manga are pretty different takes on the same source material.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 25, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Viktoriya shooting Tanya to save her was badass and deserves props, so here are my props to that scene

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

^CHOCO

From what I read here the anime seems better for where it breaks with the book and comic.
It'll be funny if Tanya becomes so paranoid of X that it becomes like the type of wary reverence of the ancient vengeful gods and he declares that close enough.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad Tanya is properly evil as of episode 8

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I'm glad that the British mages ride flying broomsticks into battle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What would the Soviets ride. IIRC Russia I think has some witch folklore like the Baba Yaga and her house that moves via chicken legs but nothing comes to mind for flying stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

What would the Soviets ride. IIRC Russia I think has some witch folklore like the Baba Yaga and her house that moves via chicken legs but nothing comes to mind for flying stuff.

Vodka bottles?

• Locked thread