Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Poil posted:

A loving recap episode for a one season show?
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone know if this season covers all the material or can we maybe have to go into depression cycles of waiting for news for subsequent seasons?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does anyone know if this season covers all the material or can we maybe have to go into depression cycles of waiting for news for subsequent seasons?

There's 7 novels, so unless they're each 45 pages long I don't think we're gonna get it all in 12 episodes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are 7 novels out, and the first 6 episodes seem to cover less than 1½ of them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sweet, though I expect the waiting to hurt.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I keep meaning to watch Shirobako. Maybe I can view it in place of Tanya next week! :v:

It's not necessarily a bad sign though, is it? I seem to recall a couple other shows squeezed in a recap episode at least in part because the series' popularity caught fire and they needed to get new viewers up to speed (andyes, also to save time/money I'm sure).

I think tanya was always scheduled to be 12 episodes long, so they have a spare episode in between the season to use up. But thats if it was planned this way

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It is NUT's first show so maybe there are teething issues with the studio. Shame, because Tanya's surprisingly my favourite show this season. Not the best, but probably the most enjoyable to watch.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

You know who else didn't like smoking? :godwin:

I like that with the book material posted so far and with Tanya presumably letting loose a little I get the sense that outside of work Tanya's original dude's personality might've been fun to hang out and play shooters with.

The salaryman is totally the friend you have that is fun to hang out with, but god do you not want to hear about their politics.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All those pictures of Tanya in redhats makes so much sense now. :shepface:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You guys made the show sound really interesting and it didn't disappoint. Just finished episode three and I'm completely invested.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seeing how detailed every model is in this show, it doesn't actually surprise me too much that they need another week to keep up polish. I think they already work a pretty crazy schedule, so giving them a week every once in a while doesn't bother me that much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Seeing how detailed every model is in this show, it doesn't actually surprise me too much that they need another week to keep up polish. I think they already work a pretty crazy schedule, so giving them a week every once in a while doesn't bother me that much.

The problem with unplanned recap episodes is that they still take up a slot on the TV stations where the show is airing. And getting an extra slot for the missing episode isn't always possible that late in the season, so they either have to trim down the material to fit into fewer episodes or air the final episode(s) months after the rest.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tanya is probably basically the equivalent of a P-51D Mustang being introduced in 1939 and being flown by an Ace.

Tanya is the Red Baron in a Fokker Dr.I (service ceiling 6,100 meters) while most of the Empire's mages are still flying Albatros C.IIIs (service ceiling 3,350 meters).

She is Manfred von Richthofen if he were a 10 year old wizard girl possessed by a middle-aged Japanese man.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Mages are more man sized attack helicopters than anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tanya is the Red Baron in a Fokker Dr.I (service ceiling 6,100 meters) while most of the Empire's mages are still flying Albatros C.IIIs (service ceiling 3,350 meters).

She is Manfred von Richthofen if he were a 10 year old wizard girl possessed by a middle-aged Japanese man.

Yes I've thought that too. Quite a few similarities. :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She'll be in trouble once not-England steps into the fray with not-Sopwith Camels.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

She'll be in trouble once not-England steps into the fray with not-Sopwith Camels.

I wanna see what not-America is like.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

This universe's Snoopy is gonna have it rough.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvUpAEEQOo

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Agnostalgia posted:

This universe's Snoopy is gonna have it rough.
Or so you'd think, but it turns out the Snoopy equivalent actually is a magical flying dog possessed by the soul of an evangelical Satanist.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The existential dread and fear they feel is an excellent thing to watch and partake in.

Tanya walking in and commenting on their conversation was also pretty funny; you don't see that happen too often in anime. Usually conversations are misheard or the leader decides to pretend not to hear anything, but nope; Tanya just walks in and gives her frank assessment.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

PoptartsNinja posted:

So eventually a comedy team is going to base their name on the eventual name for this bunch? Well, let's hope it ends up with a decent name.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I watched this yesterday and I love how specifically petty god comes off towards this atheist in the hopes that he will actually think God is Real. Now that I know it's only gonna have a single season I'm kinda bummed.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Just read the translated manga and its certainly diffrent to the anime. A lot clearer on the story. Though i do like the anime being x more than the mangas.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lol. She called him a normie. The parts where she "breaks character" and references her unaccounted for years always make me laugh. Like when she told the scientist older than both her lives that when he lives a long life he'll understand murphy's law.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Anyone have the soundtrack (Not the opening and ending theme) yet?

Also who do you think the daughter is of the commander in the last episode? I think its Viktoria based off of the eyes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Exmond posted:

Anyone have the soundtrack (Not the opening and ending theme) yet?

Also who do you think the daughter is of the commander in the last episode? I think its Viktoria based off of the eyes.

The lingering camera shot on her makes me think she's an important character, like maybe the person who got fired also transported here after dying shortly afterwards. That would be the predictable thing to do.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The lingering camera shot on her makes me think she's an important character, like maybe the person who got fired also transported here after dying shortly afterwards. That would be the predictable thing to do.

Yeah I think the character is important (Look at those eyes) but just wondering if we have any inkling on who she is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I already posted the fired dude cameo, he was one of Tanya's rejected candidates

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I already posted the fired dude cameo, he was one of Tanya's rejected candidates

Doomed to forever be fired by Tanya/unnamed salaryman

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The recap reminds me that the speech Tanya gives to his new unit is basically copied from full metal jacket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBz8ywqPyRE

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you haven't watched this episode yet, don't bother. Even for a recap episode, this is the laziest recap episode I've ever seen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Least they called it 6.5 rather then 7.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you haven't watched this episode yet, don't bother. Even for a recap episode, this is the laziest recap episode I've ever seen
Thanks for the warning. :(

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Not even a token couple minutes of original animation.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Nothing new in this episode. They even reused the same music

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

mpyro posted:

Yeah, that stood out to me and I'm not usually one bothered by bad audio choices. It kinda ruined the choir thing that happens when things ramp up.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

mpyro posted:

Ahhh sad to hear that this episode sucks and is just a recap episode.

Anyone track down the soundtrack yet?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Not really surprising that an unplanned recap episode doesn't add anything. At least they gave themselves as much breathing room as they could rather than half-assing new content and eating into the time for the real episodes.

I hope the rest of the show doesn't feel super compressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Not really surprising that an unplanned recap episode doesn't add anything. At least they gave themselves as much breathing room as they could rather than half-assing new content and eating into the time for the real episodes.

I hope the rest of the show doesn't feel super compressed.

the recap is probably not gonna work against its episode count since its been fairly successful, had a week cushion with its original 12 episode count before spring season starts and fwiw myanimelist, which is fairly accurate about the episode count of upcoming or airing shows for whatever reason has the recap as a separate entity from the series

• Locked thread