Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Being a famous war hero used for propaganda isnt all that great since the opposition will start devoting resources to kill you specifically for their own propaganda of "yes, we killed that bastard, go us".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Only thing going for Tanya is that she is small and she can fly higher than the rest of the mages. She hasnt done anything that OP, she just picks positions where she is safer but at the same time seems to be heroic. To my understanding she went after the bombers because fighting actual mages is much more dangerous.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Mages are more man sized attack helicopters than anything.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Just read the translated manga and its certainly diffrent to the anime. A lot clearer on the story. Though i do like the anime being x more than the mangas.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The recap reminds me that the speech Tanya gives to his new unit is basically copied from full metal jacket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBz8ywqPyRE

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
pretty sure hes dead.
edit: like he was a walking deathtflag during episode 6.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 25, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know its not accurate at all in our universe but it would be funny if Tanya keeps being diminutive as she ages because of all the coffee she drinks.

The anime seems to have skipped Tanya being worried about her growth. In the manga at least she has already been to a doctor wondering why she hasnt grown much, her doctor speculated since she has taken combat drugs her puberty might be significantly delayed. The first fight she had where she suicide bombed herself she actually took combat drugs to get courage to do what she was planning. Also i think she is 11 right now.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 26, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
being x is the rival. he is just a subtle one.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The impression i have is that being X can basically tell people what to do through divine intervention. Like the insane reseacher was directly talked to by being X much like he talks to Tanya every now and then. Its possible he also talked to Mary Sue since where the hell did she get the idea to get a latest model of a gun to her dad, a dad who has a vendetta against a certain god hating girl. WW1 happening while possible is being Xs fault, it can also just be the natural progression history is taking anyway. Tanyas a bit paranoid about being X and has no way to know what he actually does. Tanya will blame being X if she even stubs her foot basically.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 28, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I always assumed she just used heroin since that was being used around ww1 and before. Apparently germans even tried to use it as a super soldier drug, where the whole heroin "heroic" name came from. To create fearless soldiers that couldnt feel pain.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKEnaJPviTM

Iretep fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 28, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Most of the time she doesent really treat fights like a game. She doesent want to be in danger at all but at the same time she doesent want to look like a coward. If she is eager to kill people its mostly about her being eager to get promotions than actually wanting to kill someone. The show skips a lot of Tanyas inner justifications so you mostly get her outward appearance on subjects. Like she rationalises that she hates fighting, but at the same time she wants to be a good soldier to get more promotions. This makes her seem really bloodthirsty because she loves getting promotions a bit too much. Reading the LN I always get a impression she is kind of like a nonserial killer version of Kira from jojo. She acts her role very well but all she really wants is to live in peace. Of course she also hates incompetent people to a high degree and will get them killed if allowed to so its not like she is a saint either.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I havent actually read this far so its just speculation: The way id see it is Tanya enjoys orders that make her look good, i doupt she enjoyed the masacre all that much since while it makes her look good for doing lovely orders, it also taints her reputation for actually doing it. As far as why she released the paper, you have to keep in mind Tanya knows how germany acted back then, their dogma for this kind of situation was to basically use extreme violence in hopes of stopping any more rebels from appearing. See belgium during ww1 as an example of how well it worked. The papers point was probably more to just reduce the propaganda that will be used by the enemy over the incident. They can claim the law was on their side more easier this way. They even produced the video of the rebels shooting a prisoner for their own propaganda over the incident. Basically reduce producing propaganda material that will make the enemy hate you and try to spin the incident to make the rebels seem like they had it coming.
Edit: Of course Tanya has a very big fixation on people being rational too, so her hopes might have also been that the people in town would do the rational thing and leave when asked to. Of course she has been consistently bee proven wrong that no, people arent all that rational.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 4, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The LN starts with mentioning the stanford prison experiment and then the salary man says yes, i really love this experiment basically. His whole morality is that he does what he is to expected in his role without letting his feelings interfere with it. As a salary man he is compleatly remorseless and maximises profits. As a soldier she continues this thought where she does as she has been ordered like a perfect soldier should.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If we want to get technical i dont think any war crimes have been made since all the civilians already had the chance to escape, anyone remaining at that point was seen as a combatant. The way i understand it hague convention of the time forbids the bombing of undefended towns and attacking of undefended habitants. The notfrench had the army there so neither the civilians or town was undefended, in fact the town was being used to ruin notgerman supply lines. If the notfrench army had not been there itd definetly be straight out war crime even according to hague convention.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Keep in mind that this is 1925. There wasnt a huge world war taking up resources from research so nations had more time to increase armament and experiment with more tech. WW1 is just about to start or started depending on how you look at it. I dont think notsoviet union or notbritain have even joined yet properly unless i missed them declaring war. Most they have done probably is give support in secret to notfrance so they dont lose.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
My understanding is that the fear of war is what accelerates arms technology research. Even a short war might help with this but a long total war like ww1 did not accelerate it at all, it stopped it for the most part. When a long war starts most research into new technology stops and the resources will get focused on actually beating the current war. Some research will be done but itll be mostly just means to beat the current war and usually itll just ammount to just applying old technology in new ways. Like airplanes and tanks wasnt new technology for WW1, it was already excisting technology just being applied in new ways.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ranzear posted:

What really suggests to me that war development was slower or at least very different in Tanya's world?

No chemical weapons.

Maybe it comes up later, but for now I think Tanya's world used to be far more idealistic and peaceful than ours, and Being X just has to gently caress it all up just to gently caress with her.

Uh what? Chemical weapons were around even before ww1 i think? At least hague convention forbade their use before ww1 even started. Was there something advanced about chemical weapons during ww1 that im not aware off?
As far as the world being more idealistic, the anime just doesent go into detail about past wars. There have been plenty of wars so far, like notgermany was at war with notfrance in 1923 already. I think what stopped WW1 from breaking out is notrussia turning communist and canceling the alliance with notfrance. Since notgermany didnt have to fear notsoviet union from becoming a super power and allying with everyone (since communists are idelogical enemies of everyone not communist), they didnt feel the need to rush in and punch out notfrance and attack notrussia at the same time. They still fear a double team from everyone around them but since they have grown so huge they feel confident no single or two countries can beat them anymore.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
mary sue probably made the smg herself for all we know since being x is known for helping people make stuff ahead of its time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Mages are mainly very limited number so regular troop combat still has its uses. Mages are mostly used as scouts, artillery spotters and shooting ground troops if theres no air support. They are basically attack helicopters since the magic also allows them to be very armored to regular gunfire. Airplanes pretty much kill mages so they tend to run if they come around. Tanyas magic device and the rest of her units is pretty revolutionary in that sense it allows them to fly high enough to shoot down the airplanes as well. Previous models couldnt fly high enough to fight back against the airplanes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

Really using mages as flight units regardless of armament seems way less useful than having them on infiltration and sabotage, especially with illusion magic having been shown to exist, but that wouldn't let the show be about magic sky fights over WW1 battlefields.

In the LN Tanyas higher ups did early on ponder if she was in the secret service doing raids behind enemy lines, to explain her unusual competence for her age. Of course she wasnt but they were too proud to ask the secret service if that was the case.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Lack of mages is a pretty big reason they dont have many big units yeah. The lack of mages is so bad that youll get forcibly conscripted at the age of 18 no matter what if youre a mage. Even gender wont matter, which is why Tanya joined at such a young age. She wanted to get a good position as soon as possible before WW1 started. Shed be sure as dead if she gets forcibly conscripted at 18 and the world war was still going. Mages being used poorly is also because its a pretty new thing.
Tanya put her unit through every modern special forces training she could think off. Im dissapointed the anime didnt show her torturing them for her anti-torture training.
edit:

Iretep fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 9, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

The irony being she did it to get them to quit only for it to backfire and make them worship and fear her as a malevolent god more than the enemy.

I think at that point she had given up on getting them to quit and more just make the worst of them quit. Originally she just wanted to stall with stupidity test, but her higher up told her to get on with it so she changed her aim to just get the super elite. Since she is forced to make the unit, she wants the very best of the best. If you cant get through every special forces training she can think off, you arent good enough to be her meat shield.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah her family escaped from moscov during the soviet uprising. Thankfully she hasnt started writing fantasy books about capitalists and how collectism is the greatest evil in the world. Only reason she is even in the army is she has magic potential so she has no other option than to serve or get shot.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Pacing id guess. The anime goes through the story very fast skipping a lot of backstory explanations. The manga handles this much better.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Its also possible that magic allows technology to advance faster somehow.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

People were talking about the rocket earlier (I just caught up with that episode.) For me I take the code name to show how the military tech is going off the rails at this point from our own development path, probably due to Being X meddling given who's involved. It basically has no resemblance to the real V-1 rocket, and is probably named victory not vengence. It could just be old rocket name it v1 whatever (like just make the tanks look like people's idea of "old" tanks.). But it's more fun for me to think that the mad scientist is making leaps and bounds in militech as Being X wants to escalate the war to run Tanya through an increasingly worse ringer

In the LN the mad scientists main weakness is he is so far ahead that his stuff is impossible to mass produce. Like the magic device tanya uses cant really be properly mass produced since all the parts are so complicated that you need a bunch of engineers fine tuning it. Which is also probably why everyone in the german army dont have the special magic device models Tanyas unit has, they are a pain in the rear end to make.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The problem with sitting out the war is she doesent trust being x to not gently caress her over and delay the war until she is exactly 18. Plus she had no idea when the war proper starts when she was 9. You also have to keep in mind she is a female orphan so her chances of hitting it big outside the army are slim. Where as she is blessed with a potent magic ability and the army dont care about your gender so for her its a natural choice for a get rich quick plan.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

What would the Soviets ride. IIRC Russia I think has some witch folklore like the Baba Yaga and her house that moves via chicken legs but nothing comes to mind for flying stuff.

they are godless communists, theyll ride the communist manifesto.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
it just occured to me the only fitting thing for them to ride is a lenin statue.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's kinda strange is how the Allied Kingdom and the Russian Federation are only really joining because of the Empire's "Bad Boy" meter then because of either an pre-existing Alliance (England WWII), violation of neutral border nations (England WWI), or because of just breaking a non aggression pact and attacking first (Barbarossa),.

Makes perfect sense really. Breaking Belgiums neutrality and making GBS threads all over allies arent real reasons to join a war, plenty of examples of countries and kingdoms not caring about that kind of stuff. Belgiums neutrality being broken for example is a good way to explain to the masses why there must be war, but that kind of stuff wont really phase most politicians. Why Britain joined ww1 was Germany was a real potential threat to Britains navy. Like Britain himself wasnt a saint around ww1 times, they had literally commited warcrimes in the second boer war a few years earlier. In Britains intrests at the time a unified mainland europe must not happen since once that happens, Britain would be next to be taken over. Germany was a real danger of something like that happening and if you havent noticed, Germany is very close to Britain. No country wants a bigger more powerful country next to them if they can help it.
In this case the whole unified europe is happening. Neither notRussia or notBritain want a unified central europe, the industrial and man power such a thing having is an insane danger to both. Before this they hoped notFrance and notGermany would just kill each other but its clearly not happening so they have to join in too and break up notGermany.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In the LN and manga being X asked the salary man if he had heard about the 10 commandments when wondering why everyone is acting like dicks so i think the idea he is supposed to be old testament god too.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 2, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Honestly i prefer the animes take on Being X, you dont really need to explain his reasons for doing anything.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

nickmeister posted:

This was from a couple episodes ago, but why did the smarty glasses officer guy have a sweat drop on his face when talking about the plan to blow up the enemy? Did I miss the part where he's a pacifist of a spy or something?

Lets put it this way, Tanya considers him a friend worth having since he has the rare common sense to not want a small child to be in the frontlines. He has been the most prominent person to object any time Tanya is about to get promoted and Tanya assumes its because he has a moral problem with sending children to fight. Of course the reality is that while he does have a problem with that, he also thinks Tanya is insane and doesent want her getting promoted to a higher position where she can lead even more people to their deaths.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kylra posted:

Tanya actually hasn't led very many people to their deaths though. I think maybe like 2 of her battalion died or something at most? If any?

Rerugen first made note of Tanya when she was 9 in officer school and she tried to execute a soldier under her training. Most of the higher ups see nothing wrong with this since that was what an officer is supposed to do when a soldier disobeys an order too many times, in fact its kind of a bonus since she proved she can go full commisar at 9 years of age. She also keeps writing papers about the nature of some great war and refers people to just as numbers which bothers Rerugen even more. None of this makes her seem like a monster to anyone else. She is highly respected by people above and under her and she does consistently show she cares about her soldiers. Rerugen is pretty much alone in insisting she is a monster basically. He is mostly paranoid about her true nature, which is why he doesent want her promoting too high. At a high position she would have the power to send troops to their deaths to enact her dream hell on earth, or at least thats Rerugens fears. The reality is Tanya just wants a high position so she can take it easy and not be in the frontlines. MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Being concerned about Tanya's sociopathic tendencies is not a "misunderstanding" lol

she'd turn on any of her soldiers in a heartbeat if they stopped being useful tools, and wouldn't feel the slightest remorse over it either, which is exactly what got her killed in her previous incarnation

The misunderstanding is Rerugen assumes Tanya is a jingo, when she is actually just a peace loving sociopath. But i think shes already snapped and probably turning into a literal jingo to spite god so maybe its not that much of a misunderstanding anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considering overlord is getting a second season soon and i think Tanya has the same publisher then its pretty likely a season two will appear in a year or two.

• Locked thread