Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've heard that this anime is just a lovely nerd getting smug about his+her grasp of infrastructure, supply, and management. How true is this?

Like the author is the lovely nerd or Tanya?

Tanya is genuinely a horrible person because she's straight up a sociopath. She doesn't care what she has to do get to the socioeconomic spot she wants to be at to live a comfortable life. She's like an evil bizarro version of Futaba Anzu from idolmaster.

But yeah, even though she's a sociopath, she has a lot of good qualities that seem to get her in progressively worse places. She's smart, which helped her spring out from the horrible start she had as a poor, orphaned girl in alter WW1 germany but it also had her smart mouth sassing god in the middle of him venting his anger which got her in the mess in the first place. She's hardworking, which has gotten her decorated and promoted to higher rank within the military but its also gotten her sent to the front lines and progressively more dangerous situations.

She isn't a hypocrite either. Like in the first episode we see how ruthless she is with the two that disobeyed her orders but when given an order thats basically suicide she follows it to the best of her ability. Of course she had an entirely different idea of how things were going to play out afterwards but even when things dont go the way she wants them to she just forces a smile and keep trudging along to reach that comfortable place she can finally relax in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The dumb drifter grin is funnier when you see the little omakes they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTkKH1pguFw

Viktoria is as :downs: as she looks.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Having gone in blind, I see from the second episode that the plot is apparently God punishing an atheist by reincarnating them into a literal foxhole.

Gotta be honest, it's not the direction I expected the show to take.

Any other atheist and he wouldn't have bother to put him in a shithole, he would have just wiped him or her from existence. This one had the balls to sass him when the dude is doing a display of its powers so he sent him to be reincarnated in the worst possible position. I loved the expression of all the people going "WHAT!?" in that scene. loving even god couldn't believe Lin's level of sass.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 17, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This show has one of the pettiest gods Ive seen in an anime and its hilarious

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

If it is a god, it's not one worthy of praise.

This is Tanya's argument at the start of the series. A god demonstrating its power by freezing time, showing up in your dreams, augmenting you with incredible power and reincarnating you into a completely different world is fearsome and enough to cause the vast majority of people to immediately accept that its God. But Tanya is saying that it cannot be God, because he wouldn't be letting any of these things happen. It is not a being worthy of praise.

That being said, being x probably resents his "job" and would be happy if people at least recognized his work. He probably envies Tanya in some ways, who even though loving hates her job, still has the work ethic to follow through it and is recognized and rewarded for it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tanya has a great smug face and an even better "Oh poo poo I hosed up" face

Nine of Eight posted:

This week on Tanya the Evil: Tanya succeeds in screwing herself over without any help from Being X

Not true. In the previous episode we saw how Being X pointed the general into Tanya's direction. Everything that happened afterwards was just the blocks falling into place.

The show has so many small details that seem very significant when looking at the greater picture. Tanya's lesson at the start of the episode about the highest ranking officer being culpable for their soldiers actions is going to be an important part of this arc I'm assuming. Tanya's observation about persuading people when they are emotionally defenseless (My little rationalist cant be this Hitler)not only applies to Tanya, but to Being X as well.

And this story is like alter Lot. Instead of god taking things away from Lot he just keeps on giving him more stuff and responsibilities. Like yeah Tanya is hosed up having to sink or swim leading a battalion (Really its more like a big platoon) but she's being fast tracked into major and one can assume if things work well she'll be a Lt.Col by the time she finishes it. I think her big detractor is a Lt.Col as well right? Next arc is writing itself already.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 27, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I presume you meant Job. Lot was was Abraham's nephew who managed to escape the destruction of Sodom only for his wife to turn into a pillar of salt and his daughters to sleep with him while he was drunk to carry on the family line.

Yeah that one, that Job dude. Its been long time since I went to catholic school and it didnt leave a good impression on religion in general for me

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean yeah mages really are like light/heavy cavalry or support air craft but they are still individual people and not a team/squad per "mage". At the end of the day Tanya will be accounting for 48 soldiers and their equipment, not 48 tanks their operating teams, their maintenance/repair teams, all the logistic and support personnel that are parts of these battalions which can have hundreds of soldiers as well as all their equipment that are worth millions of dollars.

The only part which could be sketchy is accounting for the soldiers if they start doing...war crimy things, since they are individuals with the power of tanks/aircraft.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The episodes so far have been pretty good although the first episode doesn't really do much to give it you an impression of what the story is about. It's also one of the top selling anime this season just below cash grab gacha game anime and konosuba.

Pacing is really strong after the first episode, everything flows really well and your constantly guessing how Tanya is going to gently caress himself or how being x is going troll him

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Selling? In preorders?

Yeah preorder ratings basically

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tanya is...good!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEZo1TaXKP8

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love how Tanyas attempt to demoralize her trainees only strengthened their resolve.

e- Also technically Tanya did not commit any war crimes...I think...

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 3, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davincie posted:

boobytrapped a corpse

Probably not a warcrime yet based on the timeline

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ummm that face...looks familiar...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The episode was mostly about Tanya doing everything she could to delay or fail in her task of completing the mage battalion and instead succeeding beyond anyone's expectations. As for the actual notRomania counter attack, I guess we'll see if the ease of that particular encounter affects her soldiers ability to fight in an actual combat scenario.

Also apparently there is a publicity event in Akihabara for St. Valentines, get to know the novel author and also get bread rations or something like that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tanya was moving at about 200m/s during her big fight in the first episode which puts her at the same level as some of the fastest airplanes of WW2 and she's way more agile given how easily she can hop around in the air to change direction and dodge poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Motherfucking crunchy roll this episode released just like normal and they've STILL haven't translated it apparently because of "Production Issues". I'm just going to watch a raw because this poo poo is insane.

Also next episode is a recap episode.

e- Funnily enough our conversation about Airplanes, is relevant in this episode

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I keep meaning to watch Shirobako. Maybe I can view it in place of Tanya next week! :v:

It's not necessarily a bad sign though, is it? I seem to recall a couple other shows squeezed in a recap episode at least in part because the series' popularity caught fire and they needed to get new viewers up to speed (andyes, also to save time/money I'm sure).

I think tanya was always scheduled to be 12 episodes long, so they have a spare episode in between the season to use up. But thats if it was planned this way

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The lingering camera shot on her makes me think she's an important character, like maybe the person who got fired also transported here after dying shortly afterwards. That would be the predictable thing to do.

I already posted the fired dude cameo, he was one of Tanya's rejected candidates

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know its not accurate at all in our universe but it would be funny if Tanya keeps being diminutive as she ages because of all the coffee she drinks.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's the medical logic here?

None, its just one of those things people sometimes say and its taken as the truth for some reason.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tanya "The Evil" is just the first part of the series, where Tanya thinks that the best way to snub god is to reach the point where she has a comfortable life. Tanya "The Good" starts when she has an epiphany where she realizes that the best way to gently caress with god is to advance the whole world to the point where he's not needed anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only uppers Tanya has in the anime are coffee and her hatred for Being X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-jE-p7D64

On how to avoid food poisoning by potato

• Locked thread