Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Brainamp posted:

Disappointed that God didn't give the guy really cool powers to blow up the ships or Tanya's troops. Hoping he shows up again to take revenge.

That was probably my favorite part of the episode.

The man of faith who is fighting desperately for his family and his nation prays to God: gets stabbed for his trouble.

The rear end in a top hat atheist who is praying to God with the greatest amount of implied sarcasm possible: gets a literal miracle.

The irony is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I made a video about cool poo poo I like in this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owJItBY610

I imagine most of you already knew all this stuff, but maybe you'll enjoy it anyway.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Pretty cute that she mistook those fancy science words for Russian names, being a Russian immigrant and all.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
The LN goes into some detail about it. The quad-core design of the Type 95 was theoretically 4 times as powerful as a standard Computation Jewel. In theory it would take about 4 times as much mana to operate, but in practice the ridiculous inefficiency of it's design and the extra effort required to make it not instantly blow up ballooned that cost to more like 6x. Then there were the other practical issues, like risking hypothermia and hypoxemia from operating at heights of over 18000 feet. Those problems themselves had to be solved by either more magic (meaning more mana expenditure) or bulky equipment that would lower maneuverability and pose a serious risk if damaged in battle.

They say that it's not just "next generation", but several generations beyond anything they can practically accomplish, and the only reason the whole thing works period is because Deus Vult.

The Type 97's that the rest of her squad have are dual-core designs, which were derived as a compromise between the theoretical designs of Schugel and the constraints of what was practical. It's worth noting that they're still way the gently caress more advanced than anything anyone else is using.

e: Oh, I guess it's worth mentioning that part of what makes the Type 95 so nutso is that it can manifest mana physically, which was previously thought impossible (and it basically still is). That means Tanya can essentially "store" mana for later use, practically eliminating the usual limits mages have.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 23, 2017

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine she is yes, my impression is Tanya is slightly oblivious to the extent that people fear her (at least as far as the Mini eps are concerned);

In the manga at least there's no "slightly" about it - she's super loving oblivious about it, to the extent that she comes off as kinda stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Yeah, among the various alterations the anime made, I think characterizing Being X as some incredibly All Powerful entity that is also incredibly petty makes for a way more interesting philosophical conflict between it and Tanya.

• Locked thread