Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You guys made the show sound really interesting and it didn't disappoint. Just finished episode three and I'm completely invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lol. She called him a normie. The parts where she "breaks character" and references her unaccounted for years always make me laugh. Like when she told the scientist older than both her lives that when he lives a long life he'll understand murphy's law.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Freezing time and influencing hordes of people to die, just to gently caress with her mind counts as subtle now?

I haven't seen the latest episode if he does something in it but

I think Being X is implying his influence over the situation is greater than it is to mess with Tanya. The war was building up anyway. Being X just nudges things so that Tanya is always stuck at ground zero.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Isn't the combat drugs supposed to be linked to her not growing up in the books? I think someone posted that. A contrivance for a X year old girl to look like a kid is suspect so it's a detail I am fine with them never addressing in the anime.

hoobajoo posted:

If that's the reason for her crazy-eyes battle frenzies, I like that a lot more, as I've always thought that was a bit at odds with her regular personality and outlook. Cool.

She makes crazy eyes when the deaths of those geeks was reported to her and she probably wasn't tripping balls. Tayna is incredibly spiteful. She lives to spite God itself. Those dweebs slighted her.

She's incredibly powerful so she can get away with treating battles like a game, so she does. She makes enemies her punching bag because she's frustrated with her entire existence at this point.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 2, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The scene where she lands on the plane and tossed the gernade in is fresh in my mind. No one was watching her either, so it wasn't a display.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Jackard posted:

Salaryman was living for his hobbies, but Tanya doesn't seem to have any

Her hobby is spiting God

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think the most consistent thing with Tanya is how callous she is. The amount of expressed cruelty has fluctuated. But she doesn't seem to ever consider the feelings of others outside of respecting station, and she'll do that in the most backbiting manner possible. Her first act of kindness she explains away as self serving, and now everything she doesn't for her own soldiers is suspect.
Hell, the first speech from god came off to me as lamenting the dude's senseless murder, and he uses it as an opportunity to call god fake and gay.

I'll have to see how the latest episode plays out when I'm able to see it. I don't watch enough shows to subscribe

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Cool.

The auto fire rifle she steals reminds me of a German weapon from call of duty (yeah real scientific of me here) which would have no business being in like fantasy Norway a decade earlier. But neither does a guy with the last name Sioux so whatever

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The existence of mages probably warps military advancement a lot. Why have a 200lb gun that shoots a lot when you can have a guy who can make bullets explode? So rifles are much more advanced for their time frame because putting a better rifle in the hands of a mage pays off so much more than nearly anything else.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Sure. But it's one possible reason for why rifle tech would wax while machine guns would wane. One mage in a pill box could probably do about as much as a maxim or gattling.
I'd be curious if it's the first war with airborne mages.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Moddington posted:

I'm sure it's just another case of the good Dr. Schugel's divine inspiration. And of Being X being a cheating rear end in a top hat.

Putting Tanya behind enemy lines is a fresh hell for her, so it is something Being X would orchestrate

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

People were talking about the rocket earlier (I just caught up with that episode.) For me I take the code name to show how the military tech is going off the rails at this point from our own development path, probably due to Being X meddling given who's involved. It basically has no resemblance to the real V-1 rocket, and is probably named victory not vengence. It could just be old rocket name it v1 whatever (like just make the tanks look like people's idea of "old" tanks.). But it's more fun for me to think that the mad scientist is making leaps and bounds in militech as Being X wants to escalate the war to run Tanya through an increasingly worse ringer

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Iretep posted:

In the LN the mad scientists main weakness is he is so far ahead that his stuff is impossible to mass produce. Like the magic device tanya uses cant really be properly mass produced since all the parts are so complicated that you need a bunch of engineers fine tuning it. Which is also probably why everyone in the german army dont have the special magic device models Tanyas unit has, they are a pain in the rear end to make.

Also her crystal doesn't actually work

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Her crystal is a one of a kind prototype I'm pretty sure.

E: it's basically a bomb, the thing is unstable and has too much power. But when it miraculous works it has too much power

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The thing is that everything is also Tanya's fault. She backsassed god to get put in the world. She proposed the task force for him to highlight her file when it was being made. He just steers things her way. I don't think the war's escalation can be blamed on Being X.
The only explicit fuckery that he's done is with the gem, in which he protects her. The point isn't to kill her after all. If anything being x has been her source of good fortune. It's her own rigidity and trying to game the system that gets her in trouble.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

In my post further above though the Soviets in this universe assuming they're following a vaguely similar development as historical should be something like at least a decade out from being effective combatants but who knows; maybe skipping out on WWI lets them speed up development and the 5 year plans significantly earlier.

Everything seems to be developing much faster, at least in military tech.

E: caught up with the episode with the tanks. Yeah they look out of place, but half of it is the way they're rendered. Really hype for when my cheap rear end can see the latest episode

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

^CHOCO

From what I read here the anime seems better for where it breaks with the book and comic.
It'll be funny if Tanya becomes so paranoid of X that it becomes like the type of wary reverence of the ancient vengeful gods and he declares that close enough.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

While other things lose the steam of their narrative in season three of fifteen

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It's an experiment to test Tanya's thesis that strife causes faith. If the war gets worse people become more faithful, and he gets to run Tanya through the wringer more the better she does in battle. It serves his purpose from both angles.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's all of them.

Third time's the charm, or gently caress it no more prophets. One of these has to get people to behave drat it

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Kylra posted:

Tanya actually hasn't led very many people to their deaths though. I think maybe like 2 of her battalion died or something at most? If any?

Her troops are too valuable. But if she was in charge of battalions of lovely conscripts they would be a diversion for any elite troops I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think Rerugen's apprehension with Tanya is that her viciousness will rub off on high command. They already used her essay she authored on how to get away with blasting civilians to hell. The one he probably read while he was also at the academy and colored his early impression of her.
I didn't get why he was so worried about the big operation as it was happening, but looking back it makes sense. It was a surround and a surrender, it was a complete slaughter. They even showed flamethrower units there to make it more cruel. Even in the last episode one of the two generals takes the lesson that they didn't cause enough attrition. With hindsight of sorts Tanya knows that a modern war ends when a country cannot materially support it anymore. But to imagine combat as a endless slaughter until a country's economy and population capitulate is terrifying.

• Locked thread