Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Having read the novel that's translated I didn't have high hopes for the anime but I've been pleasantly surprised. The novels are far from being good but I don't hate them either.

For what it's worth, unless I'm getting the timeline wrong, the not-Germans didn't go into the war with a plan to deal with three or more fronts at once. They expected they'd be able to fight a defensive war on one front and win an offensive war on another because they've invested a lot more into their military but didn't foresee everyone getting pulled into a world war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Since mages seem like they'd run circles around the existing planes and tear them apart, they probably can only be used once air superiority is firmly established. To use planes otherwise, they would need to be heavy enough gunships to withstand mage fire, but that technology doesn't seem to exist yet, and being at war means they need to see a quick return on their research, so it's probably not feasible. Assuming the military leaders would even think of that as a possibility in the first place.

In the books there's a big focus on altitude mattering and the enemy mages being unable to effectively fight Tanya when she's 2000ft over their usual ceiling. Mages are "stronger" than planes in a fight but planes can fly above the effective range of regular mages and ignore them. The only niche that WWII planes have really lost to the mages is close air support.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah but this is WW1. They have a service ceiling higher than say a Sopwith Camel at the start of the war, so Tanya and her battalion have parity with WW1 planes meaning all of their roles other than level bombing are fulfilled, and WW1 lacked too many effective bombers. They existed but were pretty crap (WW1 aircraft.txt). We don't know about the cap on mage technology, but for this war we really oughtn't see any relevant non-mage air power.

Yeah but for whatever reason the planes are more advanced than aviation at start of WWI at least to the point where, in the novels, it's brought up that planes have a significantly higher service ceilings. Maybe not full on WWII but definitely more advanced than the start of WWI, they've even shown an all-metal aircraft which I think puts the tech past the end of WWI.

e: Not that I expect planes to be relevant to the story either, but it's been shown in the novels that they're still relevant in the setting.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 4, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Not really surprising that an unplanned recap episode doesn't add anything. At least they gave themselves as much breathing room as they could rather than half-assing new content and eating into the time for the real episodes.

I hope the rest of the show doesn't feel super compressed.

• Locked thread