Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like the majority of those themes have been effectively covered by the show so far. Tanya's inner thoughts and outward actions so far have sufficed in that.\

Also I hope they don't do a backstory episode. I feel like we've seen enough of his pre-Tanya existence to know where he's coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's super edgy already. Embrace the edge.

It's that but in a good way, in that in actually has a point to being edgy. It's a philosophical/moral battle between a rather hosed up guy and literal GOD (or not-GOD as the case may be).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The only part which could be sketchy is accounting for the soldiers if they start doing...war crimy things, since they are individuals with the power of tanks/aircraft.

Hey, remember that lesson about officer responsibility for soldier misconduct at the beginning of the show? I'm sure that was a totally random segment and is not predictive of things to come.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Idk about the Ender's Game comparison, because it's a story very much about stolen innocence. Tanya, is far from that. She's trying to game the system, and unfortunately gets way more than she bargained for.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Did he? I didn't see anything in ep. 2 to imply he had a non-work life at all. Or is this some light novel knowledge?

Yeah they gave us the bare minimum so far. I hope they don't go further into his previous life unless it's about to have a direct bearing on events in Tanya's world.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh. This may be accurate to the Romanian invasion, but narratively I don't quite see the point of it yet. To show how Tanya sees things?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Establish the character of her battalion without a credible threat so we know how they operate when dealing with actual enemies.

I guess. The episode was good but I feel like the plot didn't really do much. It felt weirdly decoupled from the conflict as a whole.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, what more could he possibly threaten Tanya with. At this rate, Tanya will become queen of the world because God keeps throwing resume fodder at her.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Iretep posted:

Being a famous war hero used for propaganda isnt all that great since the opposition will start devoting resources to kill you specifically for their own propaganda of "yes, we killed that bastard, go us".

Exactly, but as of now no one can match Tanya. I guess we'll see what happens when other nations start devoting resources specifically to take her and her battalion on.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

She'll be in trouble once not-England steps into the fray with not-Sopwith Camels.

I wanna see what not-America is like.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Being X is like a subtle, less aggressive version of Re:Zero's Jealous Witch.

The Jealous Witch seems to actively set up bullshit for Subaru to deal with along with a few passive effects, while Being X only uses passive, or at least subtle and background, effects except for specific cases.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think for Tanya, at the end of the day, duty is the most important thing. Not morals, not preference, duty. And she's so obsessed with it that she can fully shut down any emotions she has about her orders. She does make a point to note that this isn't something she cares to do and acknowledges its moral implications (see office scene), but in the end performs her duty with gusto.

Like someone said earlier, if it's an order that improves her reputation, she relishes it. But an order like this that sells her nickname thoroughly she performs mechanically and coldly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

It's not even duty. It's just blankly fulfilling her role to the stated specifications in the most "efficient" manner possible.

Actually yeah, I think this is a better description of that. She doesn't have the required pride or respect for the job to call it "duty". It's a means to an end, nothing more or less.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What a loving setup. I'm really excited for another season of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's possible that Being X hit on a good idea, and her experiences in this life are having a positive effect on her,

And it only took a couple million mutilated soldier corpses to (maybe) save Tanya's soul. Good work, Being X!

• Locked thread