Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This girl is all cranium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Commissar Cain: The Anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jon joe posted:

Would you say Tanya is more of a Hitler or a Goebbels?

no

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hoobajoo posted:

I'd roll that in as part of having good range, but maybe there's a specific word just for that. It's not the be-all-end-all of an actor's talent, of course, there's value in totally crushing one specific archetype (cough Daisuke Ono), but it's an impressive thing to have.

I thought Steve Blum was getting a pass these days since Jon Benjamin exists now.

"now"? Jon Benjamin has existed for decades.

Wait, has Jon Benjamin stated doing anime dubs?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namtab posted:

It's definitely weird that they don't have any idea of air warfare seeing as we saw that planes exist. The only thing I can think of is that nobody ever thought to strap guns to them.

They had an idea of air warfare. When they were attacked they formed up into clumps and prepared to fire volleys into the sky. Sure, it was a terrible idea, but they had clearly at least heard of airplanes before.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
c'mon guys look at their loving uniforms

This is very clearly not a 20th century army

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 4, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think you guys get how much change warfare went through during WW1. Look at how French soldiers dressed at the beginning. Bright red pants. Shiny brass buttons. a loving cloth cap.

Now look at the French uniform from the end of WW1.

There was so much new stuff happening, from tanks to huge advances in artillery to airplanes to gas to barbed wire to submarines, not a single army started World War 1 actually prepared for it. Look at this actual loving photograph from 1914 of loving Cuirassiers proudly riding out to get mowed down like assholes by machine guns

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 4, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mokinokaro posted:

Horses were used a lot in WW2, just outside of the main fronts. Overall they were much easier to maintain in rougher areas than vehicles (no need to transport fuel or tires when they can forage, for instance) and when used right could even outfight the earlier tanks.

Yeah, but they typically weren't charged through barbed wire at machine guns.

Nobody said that all military stopped using horses period during WW1 and that's why there aren't any horses today. But WW1 certainly wasn't kind to armies that still relied on cavalry charges as a common tactic

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 4, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought he meant 20th. But yeah we're going to see rapid advancements in warfare very soon with Tanya acting as the foot stomping on the gasp pedal since she being well read knows what tactics and advances ended up catching on.

Yeah, that's what I meant. There were a lot of typos in those posts. I just get so mad when people don't understand how much the rapid technological change of the early 20th century took armies used to fighting Napoleonic style wars unprepared.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Tanya was moving at about 200m/s during her big fight in the first episode which puts her at the same level as some of the fastest airplanes of WW2 and she's way more agile given how easily she can hop around in the air to change direction and dodge poo poo.

Now Imagine if they gave her goggles.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does anyone know if this season covers all the material or can we maybe have to go into depression cycles of waiting for news for subsequent seasons?

There's 7 novels, so unless they're each 45 pages long I don't think we're gonna get it all in 12 episodes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you haven't watched this episode yet, don't bother. Even for a recap episode, this is the laziest recap episode I've ever seen

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

fake edit: OH poo poo ARKANSAS, ITS REAL.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't rename all the states too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know its not accurate at all in our universe but it would be funny if Tanya keeps being diminutive as she ages because of all the coffee she drinks.

She is physically ten years old, and they put so much focus on how much coffee she was drinking, I was totally expecting a scene like this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I can accept all the countries have different names and World War 1 never happened, I think I can accept the adoption of meth as a combat drug happening a couple decades earlier.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Please try to relax. There is plenty of time. I need to tell you something. You've been in a coma for quite some time"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm expecting this to be like Germany's invasion of Belgium. Easy victory, urban battle against snipers, lots of dead civilians, and it ends up being portrayed as a horrible atrocity, making the rest of the world see not-Germany as monsters

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does this show not have a page on the Internet Movie Firearms Database?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

Köln is too far to the rear for it to make sense as a nest of partisans.

Based on the maps I vaguely recall seeing, the city in question is actually likely either Reims which seems somewhat far forward, Arlon in the Netherlands, or Luxembourg City.

I'm slightly annoyed at the V-1's appearing this early when the first manned flight of the Heinkel He 178 wasn't until 1939. 1925 just seems way too early.

I say this mainly as someone who finds it interesting to speculate on the differences scientific development when applied to armaments might take in a world with practical magic and it kinda renders such a game more difficult with more egregious divergences; when everything else seems like it followed plausible paths this seems quite severe.

God did it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They don't ride anything, they squat

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That monologue owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ViggyNash posted:

What a loving setup. I'm really excited for another season of this.

They better do a second season.

a thing I noticed during the ending monologue, they'e been doing crazy faces from episode 1, but this was the first time I can remember they actually distorted her body too. By the end of season 2 she's gonna be a freaky hate monster

• Locked thread