Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

https://jii.moe/r14WglAKl.webm

I think we found the mystery behind last week's recap episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought the rifles were bolt action though unless I'm misremembering.
I poked through ep. 6 again and at least the mages on both sides seem to be rolling with semi-autos.

Gear shown seems to be taking an "inspired by actual events" angle, even if modifications have been made and it's not entirely accurate to our timeline. The Entente mages appear to be using the period-appropriate French RSC Model 1917/1918 semi-automatic rifle, or something related to it.

Interestingly, Tanya's fellow mages actually seem to be using some variant of the Mondragón M1908. What's Germany doing with a Mexican rifle? Well, while it was designed by a Mexican, it was manufactured by the Swiss by SIG. Mexico canceled their order after receiving ~1,000 rifles, and Germany bought the remaining ~3,000 undelivered rifles in 1914. In reality they were never able to convert the rifles to the 8mm Mauser cartridge as intended, and the action wasn't really suited to life in the trenches (a trait shared by the RSC M1918 as well), but this was less of an issue in the German airship corps where it saw some limited use before machine guns became more prevalent.

Entente rifle:

German rifle:

E: added a couple links and example pics.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ranzear posted:

Hah, I just thought they were really bad at drawing Mausers.

We really should see a SIG 1903 at some point then, or my 'no John Browning' idea still works.

Meanwhile Sioux's SMG wasn't designed til 1930.
Hey, my first guess was a heavily modified version of the Mauser G41, so you're not alone there.

There are definitely some anachronisms and other oddities here and there, like the SMG. The bombers in episode 6 might be another one, but my knowledge of pre-WW2 military aircraft is somewhat limited. They look kind of like a Russian Tupolev TB-1 crossed with a French DB-20, but it's much harder to find good pictures of planes that old than it is to find information on guns of the time period.

Iretep posted:

mary sue probably made the smg herself for all we know since being x is known for helping people make stuff ahead of its time.
It's called out as being "the latest model", so we can infer that dude's daughter just bought him a very expensive gift. That's not to say that Being X had no hand in the process, of course.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It might be the first real war with airborne anything.

As for MG development, there are a bunch of reasons why I think they might become even more important, especially over time. For one, give the mage a machine gun and see what happens. We're just starting to see what that looks like with Tanya.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nah, it's a Mondragon. Other shots make it pretty clear.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Raenir Salazar posted:

Once again we get another anachronism in the form of what I think are distinctly Panzer III's (Sd.Kfz.142) which were also only first produced in 1939 (Designed in 1935).
Yeah, those were unmistakably Pz.3s. Another tidbit is that I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be the Ausf. J variant with the long 50mm cannon, which weren't in production until 1941. Not exactly what I would have expected to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Guy Goodbody posted:

That monologue owned
It was some drat good scenery chewing.

• Locked thread