Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Really hoping the international app gets Chromecast natively but lol holding out hope for AFL tech support.

Also still waiting for membership package and members sweatershirt I ordered in December, good job on overseas shipping Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

seeing your av, here's a story you'd like: two years ago I was at the USAFL national tournament, waiting to play in our divisional final (we lost to Portland, who if you've seen Portlandia confirmed all stereotypes, and I barely got a hit-out). Montreal was playing Sacramento in their div final, Sacto was a team that was not exactly well-liked, even more so when they tried to do a head-count. during the head count I managed to get more than a few people to loudly chant GO HABS GO! and then OLE, OLE OLE OLE, OLE, OLE! whenever Montreal did something well.

Portland always looks Portlandia as gently caress, and the team's won their division at Nationals two years on the trot :smug: played for them before moving to Japan, now I'm with a club in Tokyo.

Need to catch up on the other matches from AFLW this weekend but very impressed so far. Love seeing the support it's getting too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Total time the ball was in play for the Super Bowl was 16 minutes and 4 seconds. I know that's normal for gridiron, but it doesn't make it any less stupid given how long it takes to play a match.

And that match went to overtime.

Yeah, it requires a completely different mental calibration to watch and enjoy. And to think, Americans think soccer is boring by comparison.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Baseball is a way better sport than cricket.

This is correct.

College football is also way better than the NFL, the skill level disparities allow for more creativity and diversity in the way it's played. Saying "it's just run and gun" ignores the red-meat smash-mouth teams that are successful now.

Also partnered with the announcement of Geary as captain of the Saints for the year, the club has confirmed XBlades are the kit/training supplier. Let's hope they don't get wound up next week :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

the new watch afl deal is sweet. i think foxtel bought it?

I wouldn't know, the AFL clubs haven't sent their 'international pack' logins out yet and when I tried last weekend for some of the AFLW, it wasn't letting me get in to the app. I'll try the website again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

the url changed in case you didn't know. there's afl live or whatever too.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/

it's free until march 23rd with the PRESEASON17 code

r-e-a-l-l-y hoping they sort out the payments (another friend on my club here actually emailed the Saints to ask about the international member passes, apparently that's still being negotiated or details finalized) so that I'm not paying for a membership as a way to get the international pass, and having to buy the subscription separately. That would be lovely.

I also like how they didn't port over addresses or logins from the old service, and how when you get the notification, it's like "Now you're ready to watch AFL outside of Australia" since they know what's up.

[edit] if the Chromecast streaming works well, and the app doesn't require you to re-login every time, then it'll be miles better than last year, I will grant them that much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thepokey posted:

I ended up down the youtube rabbit hole tonight due to procrastination. Was watching some American reactions to AFL and in one video they showed Hodge's goal post decapitation attempt and seemed the main reaction is Hodge should never play again and couldn't believe he was protesting innocence. Americans are dealing with Trump but they still know true evil when they see it.

your average bout of jumper-punching would be the season's worst fight in American baseball, football, soccer, or basketball. we've legislated rough play or any kind of reaction out of sports, and it's all happened in the last 20 years - go see highlights of basketball in the 1970s or 80s and you'll see the difference.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Has anyone else noticed that a bunch of players from both teams have things taped behind their ears? The only thing I can think it'd be would be some kind of sensor taking data as part of some study on concussion (but I have no idea).

Some of the women's matches have had the same so far too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

They could, but they'd be operating each game at a substantial loss, and that would be unsustainable even for the AFL.

It's also simply a better look to jam-pack a smaller ground than have 10,000 people look like nothing in one of the bigger grounds. This was something the American MLS eventually learned too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There are ways to gently caress up a toss too but not at AFL level.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the bounce should be brought back for all ball ups?

We sit around complaining about "congestion" then provide the rucks the easiest possible way to continue congesting it with short taps. Add some randomness back into it drat it!

As somebody playing country footy ruck (poorly) where ball-ups can vary wildly in quality, yeah, no thanks. That isn't exactly fun for anyone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently there's going to be some kind of tournament in Shanghai the day before for AFL Asia teams, my club in Japan will likely compose the majority of the Japan side but I'm not sure where the other teams will come from. I know Shanghai and South China have teams, not sure if other SE Asia clubs are coming up for the balance or not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"My club isn't in there" is what I faced with American MLS for a couple years. So I watched the league as a third party, Portland moved up, and now we're there.

The other argument, "what about the talent pool," seems to strike me as disingenuous. If - hypothetical - you opened the other 10 clubs up next year, most would struggle for a year or two, yes, but I think within five years they'd all be relatively competitive. Why? Creating demand - more women may start the game older, but there are plenty who have switched or play multiple codes in AFLW already. And I think the clubs would find a way.

It does suck when your team isn't there, but cmon, it's footy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

pkid posted:

Footy is tribal. My tribe isn't represented.

So you won't watch the Grand Final if your team's not there?

I get having less investment, but to blank it entirely seems foolish. And that's from somebody who has a tribe in basically every sport.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

2018 and 2019 drafts will have a few more codehoppers coming across, so older players getting picked up with a healthy number of 18 year olds too. 2019 will probably see 1 new team, possibly 2 so it will be a rather large draft, the new team will probably get to poach one non marquee player from each existing club so it isn't starting on the back foot.

2020 draft will see kids who never got told to go play netball, soccer or hockey coming through the system, they'll have played footy all their life and because of the huge growth in local clubs over the past 3 years and no doubt massive growth this year, there will be a lot of 18 year olds then who will be pretty good.

The AFL is currently funding changerooms at many suburban clubs around the country so they can have girls teams running alongside the boys and all the VFL clubs from this season will have womens teams too. It is really picking up steam and there will now be a few pathways for players in the future. Exciting times.

Yep. They've planted the seeds, and it will start to grow.

I wonder if any of the non-Aussies (Americans, Irish Gaelic players, etc) who got a look last year will get another chance with deeper teams/more teams in the future?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Well, the International Cup is back on again this August with a number of women's teams coming across. Perhaps a few will try out for clubs while they are here. Kate Shierlaw came across from the Wimbledon Hawks to play for Carlton, although she is Australian and was just living over there.

:hurr: I totally spaced on the women's side of the IC :v:. I might also sneak down to help and support the Japan men too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Swans
GWS
Crows
Dogs
Geelong
West Coast
St Kilda
Freo
-------------
Richmond
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast
Essendon
NORF
Brisbane

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

pkid posted:

TRIGGERED.

It's the only natural place to put 'em.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

the Carlton membership site said my international membership package got sent a month ago and should be there in "10-14 working days"...A MONTH AGO.

yeah, yeah, international shipping and all, but still, I want my hat!

(also I've got beer and had a few margaritas watching the World Baseball Classic final while playing NFL Blitz at a barcade in downtown St Louis. let's do this.)

mate my pack took almost two and a half months to arrive. And that was Australia to Japan.

At least the Watch AFL quality is top this year, and now the app does Chromecast. Very happy with it, much better than before.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Is it full screen and can I run it through a laptop this is important

Mobile app is full screen, I think the online site on a laptop is too. Either sending it from Chrome through Chromecast or plugging in HDMI should work.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Lucky to be alive imo

There aren't enough AFL games to have an Antipodean equivalent to the Madden Curse IMO.

Nice response by the Doggies, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

COME THE gently caress ON SAINTS

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Bombers supporters in my club are going mental.

It doesn't quite make up for the Saints loss though :/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tigers look like a classic "play down to your opponent's ability" squad at the moment.

Entertaining enough for the commute home I suppose.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richmond starting to get a bit Richmond'y

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

There's something a bit... off.. about the Lions' guernseys this year.

The apparel sponsor is "Majestic", whom I've never head of.

Looks like they were another victim of BLK going under, the press release said the Majestic deal was to start from 2018 but moved forward. Majestic is best known as the official on-field partner for MLB.

[Edit] SAINTS :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK BLK fashion victims. The guernseys just looked a bit loose though that might be deliberate for Brisbane. (I kind of like the Bears style clash jumper, though.)

Since we're onto guernsey chat:

Also not a fan of Port going for a white number panel - sure, it's "traditional" for Port but it kind of messes up what was a pretty intimidating look with the all-black except for the vees. They looked like ninjas! Now they look like Port again.

Got together with some of the guys on my team here last weekend and a few were keen on the Lions clash shorts, but that may be for the XXXX ad as much as anything - and a few thought the away jumper colors looked a bit Brisbane Broncos as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Everybody who can should support the two IC finals, everybody coming is amateur AFAIK and this is some Olympics-style once-in-a-lifetime stuff. I hope they also bring out captains from the countries before/at half because I know how much work is going into these trips. I might take time and volunteer as a gofer with the Japanese guys, they're all in our league (some still in uni) and getting better all the time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sounds like AFL follows the same pattern as soccer/American football, close up for the atmosphere, high up for the more tactical view (including behind goals for the different viewpoint too). American football coaches often use those high up behind the goals for tactical analysis, plus the coaches/press boxes are always that high up on the sidelines too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

finals are playoffs.

The obsession in all sports to have everything dramatically cranked to 11 every single match is absurd. The reason those American "Game 7 moments" have so much tension is because they're rare. Trying to manufacture and force that doesn't help anything.

AFL finals is unique and the regular season, if anything, needs a couple fewer games. That's it. Stop messing with regular seasons and trying to crowbar drama.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Saints have finally given up playing Bruce as the 2nd ruck. Thank gently caress.

Should be winning this by more but as per usual we are wasting opportunities.

Saints wasting as many opportunities, commentary not wasting any chances to praise Hodge though.

Hawthorn look pretty cooked but Saints just can't take advantage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Saints need to build a big enough lead here so that when we inevitably go missing in the 4th we can still hold on.

BURY THEM DEEP AND PAT THE DIRT, SAINTS

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bruce :aaa:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo North :psyduck:

Also is there any special tradition behind Carlton players wearing the long-sleeve jumpers? A lot are in today's game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Bugger, he's having a good day, there goes another tip.

That third rolling in...honestly more impressive than the booming around the body snaps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Well, a shitload of people in China, just not at this game which is about to start.

The oval looks amazing though, perfect playing surface and unused since it was seeded a few months ago.

Think I mentioned it before but a bunch of the AFL Asia sides played a small tournament yesterday, including a number of our boys over for Japan. Today after the Suns-Port game there will be a China vs AFL Asia All-Stars game, one of my Japanese teammates playing for the all-star side.

Most important for the footy trip I need to catch up with the lads on the 3-2-1 for last night out in Shanghai!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For the goons who picked up AFL Evolution - how's it holding up? Any further thoughts after putting more time in? "Flawed first effort" is what I can gather from most impressions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

this is my first full season supporting richmond from america and boy am i wishing the random match i went to on my trip last year featured a different team

ahahahahaha

I can't laugh too much harder because I'm a paid Saints supporter at the moment but jeez my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Port taking advantage of Geelong's bad kicking earlier on.

• Locked thread