Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Up the suns, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

realbez posted:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise the Hawks

for instance, for having the worst color scheme

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

Keep in mind that the international streaming service also runs like dog poo poo a lot of the time.

In the year of our ablett 2017, we still have no decent streaming service for our multi billion dollar game.

it ain't too bad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

And that match went to overtime.

Yeah, it requires a completely different mental calibration to watch and enjoy. And to think, Americans think soccer is boring by comparison.

Obviously the NFL has gotten carried away with the commercials and such, but I still appreciate the way the game flows from defined play to defined play like a chess match. That format allows you to really be able to appreciate each moment of the game, which makes big swings have more meaning. You can't really get something amazing like this in a free-flowing game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yru_1al8EY

It's structured in a way you can't see in a game like aussie rules. In the AFL, rather than the results of strategies on a play by play basis, you just kind of have to see trends develop as the game goes along, and those are what tell the story. Things like "Oh, the Suns can't seem to get the footy out of their own end." Or "Oh, I can't remember the last time the Suns got a mark." Or even "Oh, the Suns mids turn it over like every drat time they touch the ball." That's a really foreign way to watch a game from an American perspective. It's a completely different experience and you have to treat it as such.

As far as soccer, I think the biggest reason Americans don't like it, aside from all the diving, is that the play is very unaggressive in general. I don't mean that as in violence, I mean it as in a team may kick it back into their own end 5 or 6 times before they see a look that they like and actually attempt to drive it upfield. If you are a soccer fan, you can appreciate the dribbling skills of the mids as they pass it around, and the pace and crosses from wings and things like that, and it makes it fun to watch play develop, even if it develops really slowly. But if you're coming from the NFL where you basically never, ever, ever deliberately go backwards, it seems like a waste of time. "The beautiful game" is a name that sounds like an insult rather than something to be admired from that perspective.

Footy is kind of the best of both worlds in that regard. It's free-flowing, but teams generally push the ball forward because it's pretty unacceptable to dally around too long in your own end, and players don't dive. It's still a completely different experience that is chaotic as poo poo if you don't know what's going on, but it's fun once you've got a few games under your belt and you start to be able to see those trends.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Haters gonna hate. You're just jealous you don't have a two meter Peter.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the new watch afl deal is sweet. i think foxtel bought it?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

I wouldn't know, the AFL clubs haven't sent their 'international pack' logins out yet and when I tried last weekend for some of the AFLW, it wasn't letting me get in to the app. I'll try the website again.

the url changed in case you didn't know. there's afl live or whatever too.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/

it's free until march 23rd with the PRESEASON17 code

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

r-e-a-l-l-y hoping they sort out the payments (another friend on my club here actually emailed the Saints to ask about the international member passes, apparently that's still being negotiated or details finalized) so that I'm not paying for a membership as a way to get the international pass, and having to buy the subscription separately. That would be lovely.

I also like how they didn't port over addresses or logins from the old service, and how when you get the notification, it's like "Now you're ready to watch AFL outside of Australia" since they know what's up.

[edit] if the Chromecast streaming works well, and the app doesn't require you to re-login every time, then it'll be miles better than last year, I will grant them that much.

it also looks like they have no replays from anything earlier than this years womens season, which blows.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

I ended up down the youtube rabbit hole tonight due to procrastination. Was watching some American reactions to AFL and in one video they showed Hodge's goal post decapitation attempt and seemed the main reaction is Hodge should never play again and couldn't believe he was protesting innocence. Americans are dealing with Trump but they still know true evil when they see it.

The don't know a good bloke when they see one because they don't even know what a bloke is.

He's a poo poo bloke

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pkid posted:

Now confirmed as a car crash-esque BROKEN and DISLOCATED hip.
Probably gone for the year.

I can't recall ever seeing the team doctor give a player a green whistle on the field.

Dermott said it's the same injury that finished him off. Killed Bo Jackson too. Good chance of being a career ender. Suns have the worst luck with injuries.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Should probably just retire the Suns as a brand. It's clearly cursed and is a risk to its players.

Rip the suns. They never played finals footy

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

$5000 fine, a bit harsh but yeah, that first quarter was pretty drat confusing for everyone. I'm surprised they don't take both the normal and away strips to all games. It is only an extra bag for all the extras and then you can do promo things at the ground with the normal colours.

I don't know how it is for women's footy, but I watched a documentary once on the logistics behind traveling as an NFL team, and holy poo poo. You've got to think, they're already having to pack all the medical gear, all the extra cleats and player equipment as backups in case any of their stuff breaks, all the game day staff and players, and god knows what else, and they probably don't have the biggest budgets to do it on.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Set the footy in the middle of the center square and let the players run to grab it when the siren goes off.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

snaeksikn posted:

Set multiples footies in the middle of the ground and teams have to rush to get them, dodge ball style

We'll call it chaosballs

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Cockatoo loving rules

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was gonna ask about Josh Caddy but I guess he's with Richmond now. Did he ever get any good?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spamman posted:

Yeah, that looked super painful.

O'Meara and Mitchell look great. Stewart and Miles also decent. Rough also busy. Good signs.

Really? I think O'Meara looks like a dumb idiot fuckerman

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Preseason and all but I'll never complain about the Suns blowing up the defending premiers. This whole first half has been a massacre. Dogs look sloppy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How do you use like 50 more interchanges than your opponent and still get shitwrecked in the 4th quarter over fitness. Spend all that money on a new training facility and nobody even uses the loving thing. Ugh. That does not bode well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't think I can even remember the last time it felt like there was anything meaningful riding on a game.

Don't think too hard about it because if you find an example it will probably have ended poorly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dyson Heppell is the ambassador for great flowing locks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Suns are undefeated.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Wylie Buzza's crack company are well stocked with stars of the game.

Those are some next level Australian names.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Finally getting a chance to sit down and watch the Suns game. That might be the worst first quarter I've ever seen this team play. Hooray, footys back. :suicide:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

Round 6 2011 springs to mind.
Although that was completely understandable given the team had only played 5 games before that.

I think it was 2013 that was the first season I started watching? It was Jack Martin's first season iirc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They should sacrifice a players firstborn in the center square before the opening siren every game to give tribute to the chaosball gods.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Carn the mighty Suns!

:agreed: i was about to call it a year after the last two piss poor efforts

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Go gently caress yourself jaeger

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That mark ruled

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TG-Chrono posted:

How good is it that the Swans and Hawks are bad now.

It's good imo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

realbez posted:

That wasn't deliberate they are just very bad

Lol. This is fun.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Matera is a ninja. I don't know what to make of this game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieJesus posted:

Hawks making the suns look like a really good side lol

The suns are making them pay for every little mistake. It's a legit good performance by them imo. Wouldn't expect it to be a trend tho.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT JAEGER

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They asked roughy if he was surprised by the hawks start, and he was like well we've come up against 3 really good teams. Ha! Haha!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are any of the fox footy shows any good? I watched an episode of on the couch and those guys don't seem to dabble all that much in hot takes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Footy is better than it was a week ago.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That last kick to inside 50 by the roos was so bad. drat.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahaha 26 with the Blues is a fuckin moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TG-Chrono posted:

Gold Coast are chuckers

*hastily flips through Australian to English dictionary*

• Locked thread